PSA: buying X1 with no internet = ALL previous DRM still in effect

#21khardboredPosted 10/1/2013 6:20:39 PM
I've thought about this same thing, TC. I am still getting my launch edition with little to no worries about functionality. Your point does make me wonder what Microsoft has planned for people with no internet? I am going to assume that since they reversed their DRM policy that many people decided to buy an Xbox One BECAUSE they don't have Internet. And as it stands with what we know right now, they will still be SOL. MS has to be aware of this. I am just afraid they will come up with their "play the 360" advice. Or maybe offer the patch on a disc? It would have taken less than a day to mass produce enough CD's with the patch included on it. Or DVD/Bluray.
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#22Ramsus082Posted 10/1/2013 6:24:34 PM(edited)
Glad you two have rapport, you're two posters I don't see enough of, but the insider stuff should stay inside. A little, subtle sprinkle of credibility here and there in posts like these give a wrong impression during debate.

*EDIT.....I'm referring to BudWeisenHeimer and HUI
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#23BudWisenheimerPosted 10/1/2013 6:25:12 PM(edited)
HUI posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...
True_FoeHammer posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...
GalvatronType_R posted...
Lets say you're one of those hapless people who think that with MS going back on all their DRM policies, you will be fine using the X1 without having internet service. Au contraire, mon frere.

If you cannot download the day one patch due to having no broadband, ALL previous DRM will still be in effect (i.e., games can only be played for 24 hours, you can only trade or sell or give away games once, the camera must be plugged in for the console to work, etc.).

That is all. Now you know and knowing is half the battle. Keep calm and carry on.

Nope. It's even worse than that. There is no previous DRM because there won't even be a finished OS. So you won't even be able to play any games at all.

You know, for every time I've seen you claim this, I've never seen proof. Just hot air. Care to change that?

Did you read the topic I just created? Does it not fit with all the proof out there? Which part is troubling you?

Hey dude, you called it. Don't you remember the comment I showed you from the Xbox developer a couple months ago? I'll be working over there tomorrow, if you can't find it. See ya then.

Xbox developer? EDIT: Oh yeah yeah yeah. That was public. I'll try to find it and post it in my other topic too.
#24BudWisenheimerPosted 10/1/2013 6:37:00 PM
True_FoeHammer posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...
Lets say you're one of those hapless people who think that with MS going back on all their DRM policies, you will be fine using the X1 without having internet service. Au contraire, mon frere.

If you cannot download the day one patch due to having no broadband, ALL previous DRM will still be in effect (i.e., games can only be played for 24 hours, you can only trade or sell or give away games once, the camera must be plugged in for the console to work, etc.).

That is all. Now you know and knowing is half the battle. Keep calm and carry on.

Nope. It's even worse than that. There is no previous DRM because there won't even be a finished OS. So you won't even be able to play any games at all.

You know, for every time I've seen you claim this, I've never seen proof. Just hot air. Care to change that?

Here's something (besides being right about the size of the download and the polygon quote etc.):

http://i.imgur.com/BY908Ej.png

Now I just need to track down the link.
#25Bigdaddy422Posted 10/1/2013 6:45:08 PM
If they dont have internet, how are they able to read your PSA?
#26GalvatronType_R(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 9:02:13 PM
Bigdaddy422 posted...

I reiterate, just because they're here doesn't mean that they have home broadband. They could be posting at work, library, internet cafe, public hotspot, on their phone, etc.

I reiterate again, if you do not have broadband at home or convenient access to it and you do not download the day one patch, you will be subject to ALL of the X1's previous DRM policies.
#27Orange_ApplesPosted 10/1/2013 9:07:33 PM(edited)
Bigdaddy422 posted...

I reiterate, just because they're here doesn't mean that they have home broadband. They could be posting at work, library, internet cafe, public hotspot, on their phone, etc.

I reiterate again, if you do not have broadband at home or convenient access to it and you do not download the day one patch, you will be subject to ALL of the X1's previous DRM policies.

not completely true, but mostly true. Under the original DRM you were allowed to use the TV and Bluray functions without regular internet. As of now we have no idea if the HDMI passthrough or the bluray drive will work out of the box.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#28NerdimusPrimePosted 10/1/2013 9:10:11 PM
Bigdaddy422 posted...

If you do not download the mandatory day 1 patch, you will be stuck with a non-functional brick. It will not work straight out of the box, period. Hence the term "mandatory Day 1 patch/download"
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#29zephirrainesPosted 10/1/2013 9:14:39 PM
Welcome to 2013.
#30CapnStankyPosted 10/1/2013 9:29:58 PM
LOL Sony fanboys really scared now.