Why did Microsoft go for such weak hardware compared to PS4?

#41stevieb1234567Posted 10/2/2013 12:42:32 AM
zephirraines posted...
Yeah the ps4 is so amazing that its first party exclusives all run at 1080p and 60fps! oh wait they don't.......

Oh then it just must be the power of the cell BS all over again with ponies claiming the ps4 to be amazing with no proof to back it.

R u all idiots. Every game doesn't need 1080/60 for it to be good. Sick of people complaing bout this when most have no idea what it means.it depends on the game. A simple game should have no problem doing that. Games like gta r way to big to much stuff going on etc. to maintain that. And as far as ps4 it is pretty more powerful which is y u saw microsoft up computer speeds a tad one the xbox1. It still wont be for a while till u see any diff. Depends on developers also. But yes ps4 is more powerful. Ty and goodbye.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#42youngskillzPosted 10/2/2013 12:46:42 AM
i just hope devs don't gimp ps4 version of games to match one, like i've read or whatever.

that would be bs.
---
Metal Bands OTM -- Exhortation, Mechanical God Creation, Persefone, Callenish Circle, Before the Dawn, Moshquito, Destinity, Neptune, Isolated.
#43stevieb1234567Posted 10/2/2013 12:48:39 AM
An_Ethiopian posted...
MS is aiming to use the formula Nintendo used for the Wii. Underpowered hardware, coupled with motion controls at the forefront. What I'm confused about is why they'd price it to be so expensive? The Wii had the motion controls AND a nice price. This will be MS's least "hardcore" focused console.

Here's the problem with ur statement. People haven't come on to kinect like they did with wii. There forcing whole lot of people to pay 100 more for kinect when most people probably don't want it and would rather have it as an option. Kinect mite be ok for the casual stuff. When it comes to the hardcore or anything other then casual games the kinetic is really not that good. People should have the option instead there being forced and that's gonna hurt MS
---
Posted using GameFlux
#44BrownGottiPosted 10/2/2013 1:52:56 AM
youngskillz posted...
i just hope devs don't gimp ps4 version of games to match one, like i've read or whatever.

that would be bs.

Score one for you. No matter how much more powerful the PS4 is to the X1, we'll never see the difference. So console power doesn't matter. Both consoles are power houses so everything will look and play great. But the contrast between the two with multi-platform games will be marginal at best.

Developers always figure out how to make the best of each console. Even if the claims of the x1 being more difficult to develop than the Ps4, no developer has said it's impossible. It's simply the PS3 cell vs 360 argument all over again. Anyone thinking otherwise is only fooling themselves.
#45SirLemontPosted 10/2/2013 2:00:25 AM
Dat monies.

Microsoft went with GDDR3 because it was cheap. They're known to cut corners when it comes to hardware. Plus they believed the rumors of the PS4 having a smaller amount of RAM, so they tried to one-up Sony, but do it cheaply. They didn't think Sony would make the gamble with GDDR5, nor would they suspect that gamble would pay off. But it did. And Sony has the superior hardware that's cheaper than the competitor AND is easier to develop on. That's gonna mean a lot during this generation.
#46IminyourclosetPosted 10/2/2013 3:14:07 AM(edited)
zephirraines posted...
Yeah the ps4 is so amazing that its first party exclusives all run at 1080p and 60fps! oh wait they don't.......

Oh then it just must be the power of the cell BS all over again with ponies claiming the ps4 to be amazing with no proof to back it.

You posted this same stupid point in the Killzone/Ryse topic, so I'll post the same response:

Criticizes PS4 for not being able to run 1080p at 60fps all the time
X1 can't even reach that (except with a racing game)
****ing thumbs up
---
"I think all you gotta do is find that little black kid, and doesn't that start the whole backdoor option?" -WHiTE_LickR
#47CrayonmuffinPosted 10/2/2013 3:20:14 AM
Lordcrabfood posted...
Kinect being included would of been the main factor, so as to keep the price as low as possible. Also I do not think the gap will be that big, I am getting both so I do not really care but I think the X1 is a great system with a lot of potential.

Pretty much this. End.
#48EoinPosted 10/2/2013 3:33:49 AM
This post is based on a combination of fact and speculation. Please remember that when reading:

Sony and Microsoft intended to release machines more different to each other than the ones that actually got released.

Microsoft started with a basic necessity: they wanted 8GB of RAM so they could give lots (5GB) to games and still have lots (3GB) left over for apps running simultaneously. When they were designing the console, the only way that they could guarantee they could afford 8GB of RAM was DDR3, so the system was designed with DDR3 in mind. They were aware that bandwidth was lacking, so added ESRAM to partially compensate for that, providing a small amount of high-bandwidth memory. They figured that this memory architecture would work well since it was similar to the 360. They may have known Sony's GPU was more powerful but figured that they would have more RAM and that these factors would come close to cancelling each other out.

Sony started with a different basic necessity: they wanted a single fast unified pool of RAM, and therefore that meant GDDR5. Initially that looked as if they would have to have only 2GB or 4GB of RAM, so they compensated for this by going for a better GPU than they would otherwise have chosen. Time passed and it became clear that they could definitely get 4GB, with their bandwidth and GPU advantage compensating for the Xbox One's (presumed) RAM capacity advantage. It was only late in the game that they decided that they could increase to 8GB (we know that this is true).

In short, the machines as originally planned were approximately level (maybe with a slight advantage for PS4 overall, but with each machine having different strengths and weaknesses) but Sony got lucky that 8GB of GDDR5 was possible, removing Microsoft's only really notable advantage.
#49SparkItUpPosted 10/2/2013 4:06:21 AM
dolabla posted...
Were they caught off guard or something?

That's pretty much it...They felt they had another year or 2 for development and Sony kinda just "Ninja'd" them.
---
http://youtu.be/Mke9EHMQMYI
Did you stand to close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone...
#50lightningbugxPosted 10/2/2013 4:17:03 AM
Who says that Microsoft went for weak hardware? Maybe the strength of the PS4 is over-exaggerated because of impressive numbers. High numbers for the components does not fix a flaw in the system bus. GDDR5 is not the system bus, just the bridge from the memory controller to the RAM chips. The system bus is from the memory controller to the CPU, GPU, SPU, and I/O controllers.