Digital Foundry: Microsoft to unlock more GPU power for Xbox One developers

#21PorungaPosted 10/2/2013 10:16:33 AM(edited)
straymatter posted...
Porunga posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Good, the closer the PS4/X1 the better for everyone. Hopefully we wont ever see atrocities like Skyrim PS3 version ever again.

The problem is that this doesn't bring them closer.. this takes them farther apart. The gap was measured by pure raw specs. And now %10 of that is locked away? That makes xbo even weaker than before.
In reality this power was never available until now, so this will increase available GPU and RAM right?

Not the way I understand it. And I could be wrong. When the analysts did the hardware comparisons they looked at the hardware itself, not its allocation. The comparison was what both systems hardware could do at 100% of it's capability. Allocation can skew the actual performance. PS4 had the superior hardware, but if it held back 50% of its power for other tasks, the XBO would have been superior, despite having technically weaker hardware. So comparing raw specs, ps4 is stronger. Now, with 10% of those raw specs on the xbo being locked.. it potentially widens the gap even farther.

I say potentially because the ps4 could also have certain allocations that would make this more even, because I am not saying that ps4 is at 100% and xbo is at 90%. PS4 has resources allocated to other functions as well.. I'm just not sure how much exactly.
#22axelfooley2k5Posted 10/2/2013 10:13:43 AM
Ramsus082 posted...
I came here expecting to see posters try and argue that the XboxOne's GPU was getting 10% more performance, rather than reality which is the GPU might get some resources back down the road that we already thought it had. I'm pleasantly surprised.

same
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#23BiggyDXPosted 10/2/2013 10:23:54 AM
This would probably translate to developers being able to implement an additional feature to their game, but I don't think it would be anything significant.
---
Gamertag: Biggy DX
#24straymatterPosted 10/2/2013 10:30:06 AM
Porunga posted...
straymatter posted...
Porunga posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Good, the closer the PS4/X1 the better for everyone. Hopefully we wont ever see atrocities like Skyrim PS3 version ever again.

The problem is that this doesn't bring them closer.. this takes them farther apart. The gap was measured by pure raw specs. And now %10 of that is locked away? That makes xbo even weaker than before.
In reality this power was never available until now, so this will increase available GPU and RAM right?

Not the way I understand it. And I could be wrong. When the analysts did the hardware comparisons they looked at the hardware itself, not its allocation. The comparison was what both systems hardware could do at 100% of it's capability. Allocation can skew the actual performance. PS4 had the superior hardware, but if it held back 50% of its power for other tasks, the XBO would have been superior, despite having technically weaker hardware. So comparing raw specs, ps4 is stronger. Now, with 10% of those raw specs on the xbo being locked.. it potentially widens the gap even farther.

I say potentially because the ps4 could also have certain allocations that would make this more even, because I am not saying that ps4 is at 100% and xbo is at 90%. PS4 has resources allocated to other functions as well.. I'm just not sure how much exactly.
It's true about allocations, that's a good observation. Those hardware comparisons are pretty strict, xbox architecture can't be fathomed, I'd say we knew better, the Xbox is faster at moving data and has less bottlenecks and has separate processes not accounted for, Don't know how fast it can be, but the comparisons really have it at a disadvantage.
#25embrandedonePosted 10/2/2013 12:30:52 PM
I guess we found the secret untapped power. But wait, can it be called untapped if it's just...you know...a forced handicap?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLUYX7M1SQ -- The Xbox One Board