So this day one update...

#11Golden MavenPosted 10/2/2013 7:02:03 PM
Retrowire posted...
Those who do have broadband access are likely going to be more than willing to use that Kinect 2.0 and thanks to Microsoft's confirmation that you'll have broadband internet, the spying will again be possible.

I say the same thing in these paranoid topics, and I'll say it again (although it will be ignored cause it's too down to earth and shoots down this nonsense you people like to partake in).

If the XBox One was truly streaming/recording video footage of you and uploading it to Microsoft or this PRISM program, your router logs would show it. Someone, somewhere would analyze their network activity, find out, and alert the world about it.

Now, TC, by all means... Ignore this down to earth scenario and continue to entertain your paranoid fantasies.
#12Ramsus082Posted 10/2/2013 7:02:27 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

From what I know about my Internet I can always monitor how much data is going out. And from which devices. With the number of people doing this I'm certain we will hear about it quickly if there are any shenanigans with the Kinect uploading video or sound. So I don't think we're even at the slope yet when it comes to this particular product. Never mind slipping down to the bottom.

Well, I can't make anyone feel concerned about something that doesn't bother them too much, but it's not trivial that every other one of Microsoft's products are utilized to spy on it's own consumers. Windows, Outlook, even Skype actually turns over voice/video content. There's no good argument for why the Kinect gets the benefit of the doubt that I'm aware of.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#13Ramsus082Posted 10/2/2013 7:04:14 PM
kyncani posted...
Ramsus082 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
But laptops have cameras too. That makes everything Microsoft is doing and will ever do okay.

Yeah, I never understood that line of thought. We have to be afraid of unwarranted surveillance with every single device we own because we're skeptical about how Kinect 2.0 might be utilized due to the company's confirmed role in spying on citizens? Ridiculous.

Just five days ago, a pervert uses webcams to steal nude images and blackmail his victims.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/26/justice/miss-teen-usa-sextortion/?hpt=hp_c2

Of course an online camera with 3d capabilities that can frigging see in the dark that is manufactured by a company who's been exposed to use it's products and services to assist in spying on it's consumers is a privacy issue.

Fixed.
---
#14Ramsus082Posted 10/2/2013 7:09:09 PM(edited)
I'm not saying they're a terrible entity, or that anyone else that does it is excused, or even that the fact that they're doing it is cause for riot. I don't even care whether they're obligated to assist in spying on their own consumers or not, that's not even the point. I'm just saying, whether it's a big deal to some person or a small issue to another, Kinect doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT......NSA: "We're using backdoors in Windows, going through actual email text, and we're monitoring Skype voice and video content.....but Kinect? Nah, that's too useful, no way would we use that."

.....said nobody ever.
---
#15BudWisenheimerPosted 10/2/2013 7:12:08 PM(edited)
Ramsus082 posted...
Kinect doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

That right there^ is what I'm counting on. Especially with the sort of cloud who will not be giving it the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: I can't believe I just did that. Must resist the urge to make dumb jokes.
#16BudWisenheimerPosted 10/2/2013 7:13:33 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
EDIT......NSA: "We're using backdoors in Windows, going through actual email text, and we're monitoring Skype voice and video content.....but Kinect? Nah, that's too useful, no way would we use that."

.....said nobody ever.

You did it wrong! ;-)
#17Ramsus082Posted 10/2/2013 7:17:49 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

That right there^ is what I'm counting on. Especially with the sort of cloud who will not be giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not sure I understand the post properly; It sounds like you're saying it's a good thing Kinect doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, that way you can play with people who aren't "conspiracy theorists", in my own words. Do I have that right?
---
#18BudWisenheimerPosted 10/2/2013 7:37:34 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...

I'm not sure I understand the post properly; It sounds like you're saying it's a good thing Kinect doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, that way you can play with people who aren't "conspiracy theorists", in my own words. Do I have that right?

No way of course not. That's so passive aggressive. I'm saying I hope the tech-nerds with Kinect who would love nothing more than to bust big bad MS will be monitoring their Internet like a lion monitors a mouse.
#19Ramsus082Posted 10/2/2013 7:41:18 PM
Ah, that makes much more sense given what I know about you. Thanks for clarifying, I was about to do my thing :P

Now I'll just reddit instead, I guess.....
---
#20pigman2003Posted 10/2/2013 7:45:05 PM
Do people still think that the Kinect is going to spy on them?

You guys know that the government has satellites to spy on you right? They don't need Kinect.

This argument is just so stupid and wrong that I cannot believe that someone over the age of 16 could possibly believe it's true because at that point the next generation has proven that they are idiots.