You Know What Would Be Cool? A New Gaming Genre

#1JohnHalo343Posted 10/2/2013 8:58:57 PM
Yeah. Maybe not even a brand new genre, but a fusion of some existing ones. I believe that this generation will give rise to new innovations. We may even (possibly a stretch) see the dethroning of FPSs from their reign at the top of online activity. Destiny, for example, offers an interesting blend between FPSs and MMOs. I don't know how it will play out, but I respect the fact they are exploring new avenues of gaming experiences. I would like to see more of that.
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#2THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 10/2/2013 9:02:16 PM
Destiny looks good but from what I've seen it looks like a Borderlands alternative which isn't groundbreaking.

I think the big change will come in a 3rd person take on a new genre.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#3SharkPowahPosted 10/2/2013 9:06:19 PM
Xbox created a new genre a while back that was amazing with Phantom Dust.

To this day it's my favorite game and I've played 10,000's of games.

It's a cross of Might and Magic Cards with a 3rd person action platformer/first person shooter/RPG/ that took place in a DBZ/Post Apocalyptic Future. It had online and 4xLan play (4x lan with it was so amazing).

This game would be HUGE in this era. I have no idea why they never make sequels that would rake in huge chunks of money @_@
#4Millertime660Posted 10/2/2013 9:06:45 PM
i think the new genres we see will be a mish mash of old and new stuff. Take the division for example.... it takes alot from a few different genres. I think the kicker will be the way these always online persistent open worlds change games. Utilizing smart glass along with this seems like it will marry the mobile gaming genre and console gaming together.

Next gen is gonna rule!
#5JohnHalo343(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 9:12:14 PM
I agree with you. With the increase in graphics and processing, 3rd Person games will get a breath of fresh air with stunning models and environment.

I think we will see RPGs become much more prominent as well, due to higher customization and tree branching.
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#6gambit444Posted 10/3/2013 1:11:50 AM
JohnHalo343 posted...
Destiny, for example, offers an interesting blend between FPSs and MMOs.

Do you mean like fallout & elder scrolls?
---
Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
#7JusSumGuy88Posted 10/3/2013 1:30:18 AM
I think FPS will be king for a long time and we will continue to see that trend. I believe next Gen is going to feature a lot of always online... Open world co-op/competitive type of play. They're going to do a lot of the things they "just couldn't do" on current Gen do to the "limitations of the" hardware. Thats the future that I forsee.. Only time shall tell. Though.
#8NeoMonkPosted 10/3/2013 1:36:08 AM
First Person Fighters?

There, DONE! Now PAY ME!
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator