The Science Of Kinect Explained In New Videos

#1Dev445Posted 10/3/2013 8:10:31 AM
by Mike Futter

If there's one thing core gamers have been skeptical about with regard to the Xbox One, it's the built-in Kinect functionality. A new video from Microsoft research shows off all the ways in which Kinect 2.0 fulfills the promises made before the launch of the original peripheral.

The detailed footage shows off how the Kinect team tracks a user's skeleton, body orientation, musculature, and heart rate. With the announcement of Xbox Fitness, these are important features.

Take a look and let us know what you think

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/02/the-science-of-kinect-explained-in-new-video.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2Dev0311Posted 10/3/2013 8:12:42 AM
*yawns*
#3MRL3G3NDPosted 10/3/2013 8:19:49 AM
this my friend...is called PR spin...it's what MS is doing to make you believe you are buying something of worth...we fell for it last time, I'm not falling for it again...

http://youtu.be/xYctLfM7ufA

That is a video of this new phenomenal Kinect 2.0 in action

right away @ 0:18 you can see as the girl ducks...the lag registers the movement a second later...this my friend is called the same ole ish...

Dear MS...try making a good product and letting it do the talking...instead of you just flat out lying to us...

Now who's lining up release night for fighter within?! lol

If you could not see the screen you would swear they were playing wii boxing...smh
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#4Dev0311Posted 10/3/2013 8:26:41 AM
MRL3G3ND posted...
http://youtu.be/xYctLfM7ufA

That is a video of this new phenomenal Kinect 2.0 in action

right away @ 0:18 you can see as the girl ducks...the lag registers the movement a second later...this my friend is called the same ole ish...

Omg lmao. Thanks for sharing, that was a hot mess, I thought that Wii Sports Boxing was bad, but wow... If that's what Kinect games are looking like, what a fail. Doesn't even look fun at all...
#5DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/3/2013 8:32:53 AM
Yet I have not had that happen to me in Kinect 1.0 games. You guys are mistaking a badly programmed game with the problems of Kinect. Even Kinect 1.0 had huge differences between games because of programmers. Its called "critical thinking".
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#6straymatterPosted 10/3/2013 8:36:37 AM
Some of these demos are having some issues with the Kinect while others are much improved from the old Kinect.
The reports are the lag is reduced to 20 - 60 ms (from 90 ms) Even some reports have the lag down to 5 ms.
#7Dev0311Posted 10/3/2013 8:44:43 AM
straymatter posted...
Some of these demos are having some issues with the Kinect while others are much improved from the old Kinect.
The reports are the lag is reduced to 20 - 60 ms (from 90 ms) Even some reports have the lag down to 5 ms.

Well Ubisoft's Fighter Within is definitely having major issues, that's for sure.
#8DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/3/2013 8:52:26 AM
No surprise there. Kinect games have varied for a long long time. Not all development teams are created equal and fighter within looks like a C list title.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#9Reflex-ArcPosted 10/3/2013 9:01:51 AM
I am entirely skeptical of Kinect 2. I seem to remember all of the video demos making Kinect look utterly amazing before it launched. I bought into the hype and picked one up and was ultimately underwhelmed with its real world performance. It was a novelty at its best (Fruit Ninja was fun for a while), and totally broken at its worst (head tracking in Forza never worked).

All that being said, I'll certainly give it a shot this time around before passing definitive judgment. I mean, I'm technically paying for it after all, so I might as well use it.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#10DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/3/2013 9:06:53 AM
Kinect 2.0 looks like its a huge step up from what we've seen. But you are also right in that we should wait until the system releases to see the difference.

So far, it seems hugely improved. Latency is reduced drastically, it is no longer sensitive to light conditions, the camera seems ridiculously detailed in comparison to Kinect 1.0, it can detect force, skeleton, faces, heart rate and pivoting of joints as well as finger tracking. It will also be a super IR universal remote which is nice.
---