Xbox Live Arcade and Games on Demand Backwards compatibility.

#21MixorzPosted 10/5/2013 10:01:19 AM
GigaVolty posted...
It's down right wrong. In an age of digital distribution, the simply tossing aside of my 100s of dollars of content is a slap to the face. I could have VERY easily bought many of those Xbox arcade games on Steam. Instead, as a consumer, I bought them on the XBox. I chose that system as my system of choice. Loyalty perhaps even. I didn't buy PSN games that were also on the Xbox, I bought them on XBox because I preferred the control, I paid for my gold membership and believed the online community I paid for was worth it. And for what? To lose it all? PSN is in the same boat. I bought lots of PS1 classics and PS2 games along with a few PS3 games. I mainly got a PS3 for it's exclusives.

That is why I'm VERY uncertain if I'm going to pick up my PS4 or XBone preorders. I may just save that 1000 bucks plus games and build me a new SteamBox. My steam account will always be there, and PC games will always run. I bought Braid on XBox, not Steam. When I build a new computer, I could still play Braid from my Steam account 20 years from now. I've gone through three Xbox 360s since the launch of this system, and that's because all my 8 bit, 16 bit, 64 bit consoles still work! Good luck playing Braid on that 360 10 years from now!

/blogfaqs

TLDR Micro$oft sucks ass... I'll probably pick up Halo 5... fml.

I kind of agree. If MS (and really any dev) want to sell us on digital games, they need to start making it appealing. I too have many XBLA games, and would love to be able to at least access them. If they are digital. Steam Box is looking more appealing to me.
---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
Favorite lift: Deadlift
#22FoppePosted 10/5/2013 10:08:27 AM
Just because something is digital does not make it easier to run on a totally different hardware...
Steam expects a x86 architecture, and since you use a x86 architecture when you build a new PC or buy a Steambox, it will work.
Both XBLA titles and Xbox 360 retail discs expects to find Xbox 360 hardware. Heck, even Castlevania SOTN, which is a PS1 port, expects to find the full Xbox 360 hardware because it was made that way.
The Xbox One is based on x86 architecture while the Xbox 360 was based on PowerPC and a Cell derivation.
One does not simple eat a banana and expect it to taste pancake.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#23NerdimusPrimePosted 10/5/2013 10:11:00 AM
Foppe posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
GigaVolty posted...
It's down right wrong. In an age of digital distribution, the simply tossing aside of my 100s of dollars of content is a slap to the face. I could have VERY easily bought many of those Xbox arcade games on Steam. Instead, as a consumer, I bought them on the XBox. I chose that system as my system of choice. Loyalty perhaps even. I didn't buy PSN games that were also on the Xbox, I bought them on XBox because I preferred the control, I paid for my gold membership and believed the online community I paid for was worth it. And for what? To lose it all? PSN is in the same boat. I bought lots of PS1 classics and PS2 games along with a few PS3 games. I mainly got a PS3 for it's exclusives.

That is why I'm VERY uncertain if I'm going to pick up my PS4 or XBone preorders. I may just save that 1000 bucks plus games and build me a new SteamBox. My steam account will always be there, and PC games will always run. I bought Braid on XBox, not Steam. When I build a new computer, I could still play Braid from my Steam account 20 years from now. I've gone through three Xbox 360s since the launch of this system, and that's because all my 8 bit, 16 bit, 64 bit consoles still work! Good luck playing Braid on that 360 10 years from now!

/blogfaqs

TLDR Micro$oft sucks ass... I'll probably pick up Halo 5... fml.

This is why MS should have spent their time and money on converting XBLA titles/developing a BC solution instead of Kinect/NFL contracts/timed exclusives. Every other DD platform in existence offers a transfer of old titles onto he new hardware, why do Sony and MS get a free pass? I know I bought XBLA titles with the promise of having these games on the next MS system, that's money wasted. If I knew MS planned on screwing us royally, I would have bought those games on Steam instead.

When did Microsoft promise that XBLA titles would work on their next system?
And when could we transfer our old Xbox arcade titles to the 360?

My mistake for assuming MS would work like every other major DD platform. The only incentive for digital was account tied games ( ala Steam or ITunes), when MS touted their accounts as superior to Nintendos hardware tied model, the majority assumption was that this was to allow our digital purchases to migrate to the next piece of hardware ( just like every other DD platform). I didn't think the only thing my "account" would guarantee me would be an inconsequential score and some damn avatar outfits. After this fiasco, Why would anyone purchase anything from Microsoft( or Sony for that matter) digitally? If I buy something from ITunes, it's mine as long as I have an ITunes account, same for Steam but not Xbox. There is ZERO incentive to buy anything digital from Microsoft ever.
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#24FoppePosted 10/5/2013 10:35:30 AM
What's that old saying about assuming...
...to assume is to make an ass out of u and me...
Ah yes, that's it.
Oh I remember the old days when people whined about how they would lose all their digital games if Valve would ever die, I miss those days.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#25NerdimusPrimePosted 10/5/2013 10:52:32 AM
Foppe posted...
Ah yes, that's it.
Oh I remember the old days when people whined about how they would lose all their digital games if Valve would ever die, I miss those days.

So, snarky comments are the only defense for Microsoft's asinine anti-consumer policies? I thought you might try the "derp x86" argument. it's a shell game BTW, what's to stop them next gen from saying 'PowerPC is more modern and efficient so we are switching to it, no BC for you!"

it's like the assumption that Nintendos account system was inferior to MS because Nintendo was going to screw the consumer. You enjoy your pointless score and avatar shirts, bub.
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#26GigaVoltyPosted 10/6/2013 10:39:51 PM
Foppe posted...
Ah yes, that's it.

You're 100% right. How dare I assume Microsoft eould be awesome and recognize my patronage. How dare I think MS would keep gamers in mind rather than this entertainment garbage they're trying to feed us.

Guess that's why there's so many old sayings. Mine? Fool me Once, shame on MS. Fool me twice? Shame on me. Won't be getting shamed this time!... until Halo 5 and a price drop comes.