If it was possible, would you prefer an XB1 without ads?

#41MrImpatient35Posted 10/4/2013 10:33:45 AM
I've had X360 since it was released, and the only time the ads bother me is when I have my volume way too high without realizing. Other than that, I don't see the problem, so It wouldn't mean anything to me if they did remove them or not.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#42bob15xPosted 10/4/2013 11:13:55 AM(edited)
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Also anyone a fan of ads is the scum of society. I am finding it hilarious all the clowns saying "Oh, but they will be tailored to me now! It's good!"

Yeah that totally makes it right....smh

Depends. I go to something like goodreads and put in the books I have read and it gives me recommendations. If not for those recommendations half the books I have read I would have never read.

The same goes for arcade/indie type games, and movies.

so I am a fan of those 'ads' because they are not ads, they help me discover things I would have never know about.

I am not fan of other ads, but I also know may ads reduce costs of other services, so I can deal with them as long as they don't get in my way. The ads that get in the way and block me, that is another story. Hate the ones on internet where its like a game of wheres waldo trying to find the X to close it so you can read an article.
#43leatheljPosted 10/4/2013 10:47:31 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#44Sin_Angelus_Posted 10/4/2013 11:26:50 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Yes, yes. I know some of you will say that they don't make a difference, blahblah, etc. But if you could free up space in your UI or remove any possible ads in other Xbox-oriented feature, would you? (not counting ads in the marketplace or from apps like Netflix)

I feel like most people would. Even people who say they're not a problem seem to only be giving off the impression that they are very tolerable, but not something they'd want if they had the choice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/29/business/media/sony-begins-upfront-sales-of-ads-for-playstation-3.html?_r=1&

Of course people would prefer no ads. But as it stands, they're a part of gaming now. Even PSN is ramping up their advertising.
#45ragnarok_weaponPosted 10/4/2013 11:32:12 PM
How would I know what to buy, if Microsoft don't tell me.
---
i7-3690x @ 4.2GHZ | 32 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD + 2TB HDD | 2x GTX 680
PSN - Ragnarok_Weapon
#46ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 11:56:44 PM(edited)
Sin_Angelus_ posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Yes, yes. I know some of you will say that they don't make a difference, blahblah, etc. But if you could free up space in your UI or remove any possible ads in other Xbox-oriented feature, would you? (not counting ads in the marketplace or from apps like Netflix)

I feel like most people would. Even people who say they're not a problem seem to only be giving off the impression that they are very tolerable, but not something they'd want if they had the choice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/29/business/media/sony-begins-upfront-sales-of-ads-for-playstation-3.html?_r=1&

Of course people would prefer no ads. But as it stands, they're a part of gaming now. Even PSN is ramping up their advertising.

Yeah, I've got a PS3. I've seen how they're doing it. If Microsoft were to use Sony's style, then I would have absolutely no problem. All ads are either in the "What's New" panel, or in the store. If you move to another panel (which you need to do to perform any basic console action) then all the ads go away, unless you come back to the What's New window. There is no denying how that style is far more harmless than permanent ad panels on almost every slide on my UI.

If it stays that way with the PS4, then I think we've got nothing to worry about.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a saint.
#47Sin_Angelus_Posted 10/5/2013 12:06:41 AM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Yeah, I've got a PS3. I've seen how they're doing it. If Microsoft were to use Sony's style, then I would have absolutely no problem. All ads are either in the "What's New" panel, or in the store. If you move to another panel (which you need to do to perform any basic console action) then all the ads go away, unless you come back to the What's New window. There is no denying that, that style is far more harmless than permanent ad panels on almost every slide on my UI.

I think that's cherry-picking things a bit. So the PSN ads are ok just because they're in a slightly different location? I would personally rather a few small ads here and there than one that takes up the whole welcome screen, like what they described in that article.

Anyway, your topic is a moot point because the X1 home screen won't have ads anymore:

http://gizmodo.com/the-good-news-about-xbox-one-that-microsoft-brushed-rig-513494087
#48ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 12:25:40 AM(edited)
Sin_Angelus_ posted...
I think that's cherry-picking things a bit. So the PSN ads are ok just because they're in a slightly different location? I would personally rather a few small ads here and there than one that takes up the whole welcome screen, like what they described in that article.

Anyway, your topic is a moot point because the X1 home screen won't have ads anymore:

http://gizmodo.com/the-good-news-about-xbox-one-that-microsoft-brushed-rig-513494087

So the PSN ads are ok just because they're in a slightly different location?

No, they're "okay" (and by okay, I mean only slightly more acceptable) because they actually disappear once you lose interest in them. Turn on a PS3 and find out for yourself. It only takes up your screen until you hit a button and slide the screen into the actual interface. How can that not be logically better than having permanent panels cover 2/3rds of the majority of the UI windows/pages? It'll take you less than a second to make them go away.

And given Microsoft's history, I am not going to hold my breath. Showing me pictures of the UI before it even is released is pointless. I'm not saying that we're guaranteed to get intrusive ads again, but what I am saying is that we won't know for sure until we see it for ourselves, in our own homes. They've been confirmed, so it's just a matter of how they will be delivered.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a saint.
#49Sin_Angelus_Posted 10/5/2013 12:25:09 AM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
And given Microsoft's history, I am not going to hold my breath. Showing me pictures of the UI before it even is released is pointless. There could be various circumstances in which ad panels wouldn't be present. The console could be offline, the ad-streaming servers might not be available yet, the UI in that picture might not be the final design, etc. I'm not saying that we're guaranteed to get intrusive ads again, but what I am saying is that we won't know for sure until we see it for ourselves, in our own homes. They've been confirmed, so it's just a matter of how they will be delivered.

I think you're reaching now. They said there won't be ads on the home screen, you can't just assume the opposite. That's like me assuming that Sony is going to sell even more ad space based on that article, and maybe in other places besides the PSN welcome store.
#50ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 12:27:13 AM
Sin_Angelus_ posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
And given Microsoft's history, I am not going to hold my breath. Showing me pictures of the UI before it even is released is pointless. There could be various circumstances in which ad panels wouldn't be present. The console could be offline, the ad-streaming servers might not be available yet, the UI in that picture might not be the final design, etc. I'm not saying that we're guaranteed to get intrusive ads again, but what I am saying is that we won't know for sure until we see it for ourselves, in our own homes. They've been confirmed, so it's just a matter of how they will be delivered.

I think you're reaching now. They said there won't be ads on the home screen, you can't just assume the opposite. That's like me assuming that Sony is going to sell even more ad space based on that article, and maybe in other places besides the PSN welcome store.

My apologies, I thought you were showing me just another screenshot like a lot of other lame posters have. Wasn't expecting an article.

Nonetheless, the ads will come, and given Microsoft's history, I am not out of place to remain skeptical until I see how their ads will affect me.
---