Half Life 3 Confirmed. No seriously this time.

#1RetrowirePosted 10/4/2013 3:37:00 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/half-life-3-confirmed-valve-security-2334759

Say Valve launches the game as an exclusive title for their upcoming Steam Machines, would you say this poses the Steam Machines line as a real threat in the upcoming console war?
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#2AwayFromHerePosted 10/4/2013 3:45:01 PM
Nothing can be exclusive to a Steam Machine.

If it's on a Steam Machine, it'll play on your PC just as well.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:48:02 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
Nothing can be exclusive to a Steam Machine.

If it's on a Steam Machine, it'll play on your PC just as well.

How sure are you?

When The Orange Box came out, it forced everyone to use Steam in order to play it on a PC.

Valve owns Steam, the Steam Machines, and the Half Life franchise, explain to me exactly HOW they can't make it exclusive to their hardware only?

I'm not saying they WILL. I'm just saying they certainly could. So you can't really say, nothing can be exclusive to a Steam Machine. Heck they could release HL3 on all consoles, but only release exclusive content for the Steam Machine's version.

It is within their ability to do so.
---
#4grampamurkedPosted 10/4/2013 3:51:45 PM
News is old. Most people are already committed to the machine of their choice. This means squat. I'll play it on my pc.
---
Xbox One on day one. Gonna miss my job, well not really.
#5AwayFromHerePosted 10/4/2013 3:52:06 PM
All a Steam Machine is is a PC running a Linux distro. A FREE Linux distro.

Add a partition on your PC's hard drive for SteamOS, and dual boot. Not hard.
---
#6Orange_ApplesPosted 10/4/2013 4:07:01 PM(edited)
My prediction for the end of 2014 if it is just half life 3 being exclusive to Steam Machine

360: 30%
PS3: 13%
XB1: 13%
PS4: 17%
WiiU: 12%
PC: 13%
SM: 5%

They'll need more than just HL3. L4D3, P3, TF3, along with a bunch of other big hits from other developers
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#7mmm_BabyBoyPosted 10/4/2013 3:55:44 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
My prediction for the end of 2014 if it is just half life 3 being exclusive to Steam Machine

360: 11%
PS3: 8%
XB1: 22%
PS4: 25%
WiiU: 16%

They'll need more than just HL3. L4D3, P3, TF3, along with a bunch of other big hits from other developers

What do these numbers mean? 11% of all home video games played will be played on a 360?
#8Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:57:36 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
All a Steam Machine is is a PC running a Linux distro. A FREE Linux distro.

Add a partition on your PC's hard drive for SteamOS, and dual boot. Not hard.

You're forgetting one component of a computer.

The Motherboard.

Valve has said you can change alot about the Steam Machine's, but not the Motherboard. That is the backbone of the machine itself, if you change that out, then it's a PC, not really a Steam Machine anymore.

Therefore, say this hypothetical Steam Machine's Exclusive version of Half Life 3 comes out, realizes that you've installed it on a computer with Steam OS, but the motherboard doesn't contain the BIOS key that the game requires to work. No HL3 allowed.

Of course, you could get around that by flashing the BIOS but that's not exactly as fun.

It's possible.
---
#9grampamurkedPosted 10/4/2013 3:59:00 PM
mmm_BabyBoy posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

360: 11%
PS3: 8%
XB1: 22%
PS4: 25%
WiiU: 16%

What do these numbers mean? 11% of all home video games played will be played on a 360?

It means he has lots of numbers up his ass.
---
Xbox One on day one. Gonna miss my job, well not really.
#10AwayFromHerePosted 10/4/2013 3:59:24 PM
Retrowire posted...

You're forgetting one component of a computer.

The Motherboard.

Valve has said you can change alot about the Steam Machine's, but not the Motherboard. That is the backbone of the machine itself, if you change that out, then it's a PC, not really a Steam Machine anymore.

Therefore, say this hypothetical Steam Machine's Exclusive version of Half Life 3 comes out, realizes that you've installed it on a computer with Steam OS, but the motherboard doesn't contain the BIOS key that the game requires to work. No HL3 allowed.

Of course, you could get around that by flashing the BIOS but that's not exactly as fun.

It's possible.

No, it's not possible.

Man, you are pulling some grade A bulls*** out there.
---