Half Life 3 Confirmed. No seriously this time.

#11Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:00:01 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
My prediction for the end of 2014 if it is just half life 3 being exclusive to Steam Machine

360: 11%
PS3: 8%
XB1: 22%
PS4: 25%
WiiU: 16%
PC: 13%
SM: 5%

They'll need more than just HL3. L4D3, P3, TF3, along with a bunch of other big hits from other developers

It's Steam. They'll have all of those other hits from other developers.

Count that, and the fact that they COULD make all of their amazing sales EXCLUSIVE to the Steam OS. That'd take a chunk out of the PC gaming crowd, you can bet that.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#12Orange_ApplesPosted 10/4/2013 3:00:09 PM
mmm_BabyBoy posted...
Orange_Apples posted...
My prediction for the end of 2014 if it is just half life 3 being exclusive to Steam Machine

360: 11%
PS3: 8%
XB1: 22%
PS4: 25%
WiiU: 16%
PC: 13%
SM: 5%

They'll need more than just HL3. L4D3, P3, TF3, along with a bunch of other big hits from other developers

What do these numbers mean? 11% of all home video games played will be played on a 360?

lawl, I need to rethink those numbers :P
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#13Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:03:03 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
Retrowire posted...

You're forgetting one component of a computer.

The Motherboard.

Valve has said you can change alot about the Steam Machine's, but not the Motherboard. That is the backbone of the machine itself, if you change that out, then it's a PC, not really a Steam Machine anymore.

Therefore, say this hypothetical Steam Machine's Exclusive version of Half Life 3 comes out, realizes that you've installed it on a computer with Steam OS, but the motherboard doesn't contain the BIOS key that the game requires to work. No HL3 allowed.

Of course, you could get around that by flashing the BIOS but that's not exactly as fun.

It's possible.

No, it's not possible.

Man, you are pulling some grade A bulls*** out there.

Grade A bulls***?

LOL the PS2 works the same way. The Game Boy Advance works the same way!

Their OS's can't run their software without the hardware's BIOS.

haha, Grade A bulls*** that's funny.
---
#14AwayFromHerePosted 10/4/2013 3:31:32 PM
It's a PC running Linux. It's not a console with a closed system.

Valve already said you could put Windows on them if you wanted.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#15Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:37:54 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

And?

The BIOS possibility still remains. Install 5 different flavors of Linux on it, make it a Hackintosh for all I care, the BIOS could still possess a key that is required for some software to be compatible.

The motherboard is the one thing that the specs list doesn't mention, this could be because the motherboard is designed specifically by Valve. In order to truly make the Steam Machine a Valve product and not just another PC build, this is something they could easily do.

You call it a PC, Valve specifically calls it a Steam Machine with an OS that can also run freely on PC's. If it were a PC 100% through and through, then why would they differentiate between the two names?

In the end, it's possible and all I'm asking you is, "What if?"
---
#16AwayFromHerePosted 10/4/2013 3:39:34 PM
So, Valve is going to dictate to half a dozen companies how to make their machine?

You do know that Valve isn't actually producing the machines, right?
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#17True_FoeHammerPosted 10/4/2013 3:50:16 PM
Retrowire posted...
AwayFromHere posted...

And?

The BIOS possibility still remains. Install 5 different flavors of Linux on it, make it a Hackintosh for all I care, the BIOS could still possess a key that is required for some software to be compatible.

The motherboard is the one thing that the specs list doesn't mention, this could be because the motherboard is designed specifically by Valve. In order to truly make the Steam Machine a Valve product and not just another PC build, this is something they could easily do.

You call it a PC, Valve specifically calls it a Steam Machine with an OS that can also run freely on PC's. If it were a PC 100% through and through, then why would they differentiate between the two names?

Possible? Everything is. Probable? No. Snowball's chance in Hell during the summer? Not even that. All you're doing is forcing a debate, when you're the only one on your side, for reasons obvious to everybody but you.
#18Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:51:42 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
So, Valve is going to dictate to half a dozen companies how to make their machine?

You do know that Valve isn't actually producing the machines, right?

Well of course they're going to give out a general design scheme, their reputation is on the line here. Would you blindly ask another company to build something for you and cross your fingers?

And also, I asked a hypothetical question, I didn't say, "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, BE PREPARED." So lol, I never said what Valve is going to do. I only said what they could do. Relax.
---
#19Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 4:00:32 PM
True_FoeHammer posted...
Retrowire posted...
AwayFromHere posted...

And?

Possible? Everything is. Probable? No. Snowball's chance in Hell during the summer? Not even that. All you're doing is forcing a debate, when you're the only one on your side, for reasons obvious to everybody but you.

A debate?

People have answered my hypothetical question reasonably in other threads and I've accepted their answers just fine. Awayfromhere said I was pulling Grade A Bulls***. If someone makes a reasonable statement without being a jerk, then I'm fine, but if someone makes unneccessary comments, calls me anything or acts like the stereotypical GameFAQs user then I will pursue further discussion.

If you don't want to join in that discussion, then don't waste your time posting.

Proof of reasonable conversations regarding this very same question in these links:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/67404718?page=1

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67404743

Come on guys, I'm not trolling, I'm really a reasonable person. Just try to stop being so touchy. I know it's a hostile environment on GameFAQs normally and everyone has their guard up but relax.
---
#20Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 5:23:52 PM
Moving on, so say that Steam starts having their infamous Steam Sales on SteamOS/Steam Machines? What do you think that would do?
---