Steam machine specs

#1SoulTrapperPosted 10/5/2013 2:31:19 AM(edited)
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

This means it could be 5 times as powerful as a PS4, even more than an Xbox One.

It also means that the cheapest version will probably be around $600.
Unless Valve plans on selling it at a severe loss, knowing they'll probably make up for it in game sales (since those will most likely be Steam exclusive).

So, will the Steam machine be competition for both the next gen consoles?

(If they do sell it at a low price, you could take it apart and sell the pieces separately for profit. Although they'll probably prevent this somehow)
---
PSN: El_Coon
#2Spetsnaz420Posted 10/5/2013 3:10:04 AM
Wow that's pretty beefy for the price...well worth it if true
---
I don't conform to social convention
#3Chao_YunPosted 10/5/2013 3:28:41 AM
I am curious, but what are they selling? I can't name a PC only game that I would pay $600 to own. And then you have upgrade issues. That has always been my issue with PCs in general, and why I support consoles, flawed as they may be, in general.
---
Forest trees are greener.
#4SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 3:36:25 AM
Chao_Yun posted...
I am curious, but what are they selling? I can't name a PC only game that I would pay $600 to own. And then you have upgrade issues. That has always been my issue with PCs in general, and why I support consoles, flawed as they may be, in general.

You are aware most console games are sold on PC as well, right?

It's basically a cheap (though we don't know the price yet), good gaming PC with an OS designed for gaming.
A more powerful console, basically.

I can't name a single game (console or PC) that I would pay $600 for, I'm not sure anyone would.

The most important advantage is the fact that this would be a lot (a LOT) more powerful than either console and the PC library is gigantic.
Meanwhile, neither console offers any backwards compatibility, so you have a lot less options.

You won't have upgrade issues.
If these specs are correct, you wouldn't have to upgrade anything for as long as the next gen consoles will be around, since this is more powerful than both.
---
#5SilentS89Posted 10/5/2013 3:40:09 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
5 times as powerful as a PS4

That is awesome. It isn't 5 times the price either. Makes our "next gen" seem primitive.
#6YeomanlyPosted 10/5/2013 3:47:13 AM
Price will be higher then TC suggested, MS/Sony make a lot of money on game licenses that Steam Box makers will not have. Creaters of these Steam boxes will want big profits from the box itself else they will not make them, Valve could make a box at loss and hope to make up with game sales, big gamble though if people used Origin etc instead.
#7Chao_YunPosted 10/5/2013 3:54:18 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Chao_Yun posted...

You are aware most console games are sold on PC as well, right?

It's basically a cheap (though we don't know the price yet), good gaming PC with an OS designed for gaming.
A more powerful console, basically.

I can't name a single game (console or PC) that I would pay $600 for, I'm not sure anyone would.

The most important advantage is the fact that this would be a lot (a LOT) more powerful than either console and the PC library is gigantic.
Meanwhile, neither console offers any backwards compatibility, so you have a lot less options.

You won't have upgrade issues.
If these specs are correct, you wouldn't have to upgrade anything for as long as the next gen consoles will be around, since this is more powerful than both.

I can't see any advantage of buying a Steambox over simply buying a PC. Am I missing something? I could probably buy a laptop to access the same library. Consoles are generally different because when you load it, it works. You don't have to download the latest drivers, or the latest patch. It is good to go. And usually less susceptible to piracy, but this generation may change that.
---
Forest trees are greener.
#8SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 3:57:17 AM
Yeomanly posted...
Price will be higher then TC suggested, MS/Sony make a lot of money on game licenses that Steam Box makers will not have. Creaters of these Steam boxes will want big profits from the box itself else they will not make them, Valve could make a box at loss and hope to make up with game sales, big gamble though if people used Origin etc instead.

That price is the combined price for the lowest priced parts that are known so far, so it could very well be higher.

It could also be lower, seeing as how most people will use Steam to buy games and they'll make a profit through that.
It really isn't much of a gamble if you look at Steams sales throughout the years.
---
#9SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 4:01:58 AM
Chao_Yun posted...

I can't see any advantage of buying a Steambox over simply buying a PC. Am I missing something? I could probably buy a laptop to access the same library. Consoles are generally different because when you load it, it works. You don't have to download the latest drivers, or the latest patch. It is good to go. And usually less susceptible to piracy, but this generation may change that.

It's most likely going to be cheaper than a PC with the same specs and have an OS dedicated to gaming (you could get the second one on a normal PC as well).

The steambox will most likely have the exact same driver support as consoles have, I can imagine Nvidia working closely on it along side of Valve.

I think the biggest advantage will be for people who don't know much/are afraid of PCs.
They can just get a steambox and know they're good to go instead of having to check out specs they have no clue about or having to buy a pre-build.
---
#10YeomanlyPosted 10/5/2013 4:04:43 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Yeomanly posted...

That price is the combined price for the lowest priced parts that are known so far, so it could very well be higher.

It could also be lower, seeing as how most people will use Steam to buy games and they'll make a profit through that.
It really isn't much of a gamble if you look at Steams sales throughout the years.

I agreed it could be lower, though only if Valve make it, and then make up sales with steam, hard to judge sales as Valve do not release that information.

If Valve make a loss on said Steam Box how would a 3rd party compete when making Steam Box's, this would be against Valve's vision of it all being open.