Steam machine specs

#11Chao_YunPosted 10/5/2013 4:05:41 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Chao_Yun posted...

I can't see any advantage of buying a Steambox over simply buying a PC. Am I missing something? I could probably buy a laptop to access the same library. Consoles are generally different because when you load it, it works. You don't have to download the latest drivers, or the latest patch. It is good to go. And usually less susceptible to piracy, but this generation may change that.

It's most likely going to be cheaper than a PC with the same specs and have an OS dedicated to gaming (you could get the second one on a normal PC as well).

The steambox will most likely have the exact same driver support as consoles have, I can imagine Nvidia working closely on it along side of Valve.

I think the biggest advantage will be for people who don't know much/are afraid of PCs.
They can just get a steambox and know they're good to go instead of having to check out specs they have no clue about or having to buy a pre-build.

Consoles give a library bonus, in addition to fail safe protection. The Steambox offers neither. I don't see any value in it, but that is a personal opinion.
---
Forest trees are greener.
#12SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 4:14:16 AM(edited)
Yeomanly posted...

I agreed it could be lower, though only if Valve make it, and then make up sales with steam, hard to judge sales as Valve do not release that information.

If Valve make a loss on said Steam Box how would a 3rd party compete when making Steam Box's, this would be against Valve's vision of it all being open.

Yeah, there's very little info to go on so far.

Steam sales have doubled every year up to 2011, I think they kept increasing afterwards as well.
At the same time, console sales kept going down, so I think they're doing pretty solid on that part.

I'm not certain how they'll do it or if they'll make a loss selling it.
Especially seeing as how you could just open it up and sell the parts separately at a profit, if they do go for that.

Chao_Yun posted...

Consoles give a library bonus, in addition to fail safe protection. The Steambox offers neither. I don't see any value in it, but that is a personal opinion.

By library bonus you mean exclusives? English isn't my first language, so I'm not certain.

If that is what you mean, PC has a much bigger library of games and PC only games on top of having free online multiplayer.

I'm not certain what the fail safe protection refers to, either.

I'm not certain about it, it could offer a great alternative to buying a pre-build PC or having to build your own if they offer it at low prices.
But I also think most people who want a PC will just get a PC and not a steambox.

The most likely audience is consoles people who would like to make the switch but are uncertain about it.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#13TargettPracticePosted 10/5/2013 5:13:43 AM
It's pretty hilarious to see consolers making excuses about why they don't want to play on what's obviously going to be the most powerful console.

It has pc germs ewwwww.
#14Chao_YunPosted 10/5/2013 5:28:54 AM(edited)
TargettPractice posted...
It's pretty hilarious to see consolers making excuses about why they don't want to play on what's obviously going to be the most powerful console.

It has pc germs ewwwww.

Thank you for that insightful comment, New User! :) Please, tell us more about the birds and the bees. I can see age has imparted wisdom.
---
Forest trees are greener.
#15assassin10133Posted 10/5/2013 8:30:28 AM
Those are some impressive specs, wow. The only pricing reference I've seen on a "steam box" is the Xi3 Piston which sells for $1000 with nowhere near these specs, so price will be key. Not sure if they'd be able to sell for a loss though since Valve has reached out to many different manufacturers to make "steam boxes", so don't know how they'd convince those companies to sell for a loss if they won't be getting a portion on software sales, looks more like it'll be targeted at PC gamers mostly then. Unless Valve reimburses every manufacturer for selling the hardware at a loss because Valve knows they'll get that money back with software sales (if they could, not sure how financially viable that would be), I don't see this affecting the console market all too much, most console gamers buy them for the exclusives too.
#16Pupu27Posted 10/5/2013 8:39:57 AM
The biggest exclusives of PC games are always RTS - the like of total wars or command and conquer. I can't see how we can play these kind of games using steambox's ridiculous controller. At the moment there is no advantage of steambox over pc or consoles yet. And the price is just too high, hybrid SSHD is also an obsolete idea used only in low-end PC (they should just go for 256Gb SSD + the ability to backup games to PC instead of 1TB hybrid drive)
---
I swear I'm nobody alt.
#17Dark_SpiretPosted 10/5/2013 9:26:40 AM
Pupu27 posted...
The biggest exclusives of PC games are always RTS - the like of total wars or command and conquer. I can't see how we can play these kind of games using steambox's ridiculous controller. At the moment there is no advantage of steambox over pc or consoles yet. And the price is just too high, hybrid SSHD is also an obsolete idea used only in low-end PC (they should just go for 256Gb SSD + the ability to backup games to PC instead of 1TB hybrid drive)
if the controller can simulate mouse movement and controls i dont see how this couldnt work for an rts. Hell something like shogun 2 can be played almost entirely with just a mouse. The steam box isnt really built to have an advantage for either, but a different means for those who want to get into pc gaming without possibly dealing with that harsher barrier of entry. Depending on how they price the things i can see this having a pretty decent niche. Even if they priced them just as much or slightly more than if you bought all the parts your self i can see it selling(they could easily recoup the costs through steam while opening up to new users) to those who dont actually want to build one and who are curious about pc gaming, but are paranoid about actually building or any of the other issues thats generally associated with pc's. with a steam box you still have a degree of freedom with modding, peripheral options and still being able to take advantage of steams massive sales and prices combined with a more focused and streamlined system thanks to steam and steamOS which theoretically means better driver support, less overhead compensation so better performing games.

whether or not this will take off in any meaningful way remains to be seen, but i can the appeal in something like this.
---
Currently playing: Grand Theft Auto 5 - Shadow Warrior(2013) - State of Decay
#18Pixx0Posted 10/5/2013 11:09:25 AM
Chao_Yun posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Chao_Yun posted...
I am curious, but what are they selling? I can't name a PC only game that I would pay $600 to own. And then you have upgrade issues. That has always been my issue with PCs in general, and why I support consoles, flawed as they may be, in general.

You are aware most console games are sold on PC as well, right?

It's basically a cheap (though we don't know the price yet), good gaming PC with an OS designed for gaming.
A more powerful console, basically.

I can't name a single game (console or PC) that I would pay $600 for, I'm not sure anyone would.

The most important advantage is the fact that this would be a lot (a LOT) more powerful than either console and the PC library is gigantic.
Meanwhile, neither console offers any backwards compatibility, so you have a lot less options.

You won't have upgrade issues.
If these specs are correct, you wouldn't have to upgrade anything for as long as the next gen consoles will be around, since this is more powerful than both.

I can't see any advantage of buying a Steambox over simply buying a PC. Am I missing something? I could probably buy a laptop to access the same library. Consoles are generally different because when you load it, it works. You don't have to download the latest drivers, or the latest patch. It is good to go. And usually less susceptible to piracy, but this generation may change that.

so much wrong it's no wonder you only enjoy closed systems/consoles.
Laptop for gaming? Sure? Why spend less when you can spend more? A good gaming laptop is expensive, not a good choice. - 1 for you

Drivers? They're not really needed, you can miss them. Sure it's good to keep a check. Too hard for you to just click to start a program? Hell, how do you live in this world if you just can't do that. As for patches, good ones. As if last gen consoles never had any... - 1 again

No piracy on console? hahahahaha...seriously...xb360 games were pirated all over the place and PS3 followed soon after, though it took a bit more time and effort. -1

Stop this pro-console fanboyism, it shines in the dark please.
---
You are ignoring XXX message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#19Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/5/2013 11:43:09 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
So, will the Steam machine be competition for both the next gen consoles?
not without naughty dog, 343, polyphony, turn 10, etc, but an exclusive halflife might help a little bit
#20SnickleseedPosted 10/5/2013 11:49:57 AM
Off-Topic Posting: Topics outside of the board description
---
i7 3770 | 8GB | Agility3 120GB SSD | 2TB HD | HD5850 | HX520w | CM Centurion 5