So the power of the cloud is all bark and no bite

#21TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 10:39:55 AM
RollnThunder213 posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
You mean those people who practically tanked their Xbox division because of stupid ideas until they saw a poll on Amazon?

Now go sit in the corner.

So Google and Amazon must be stupid too for all they're investing in severs? Sony must have made a terrible financial decision in purchasing Gaikai...

If you don't think this is the way you want content delivered to you in the future then all you should do is not purchase any of these products that use the cloud. Moaning about it and say it won't work just makes you look like a child who can't comprehend that technology constantly is improved.

Lol typical "don't like it don't buy it" response when someone can't come up with any decent rebuttal...and "child" tacked on for good measure

That's because that's the truth. Nobody is forcing you to purchase online games. Speak with your wallet. I'm buying an Xbox One because I want a digital, online connected gaming future. If you don't want that then go play a Wii U.

I called you a child because you feel it necessary to make a topic that only has the purpose of angering people. You make no points besides saying "lol" etc. It shows how much intelligence you lack.

Sony is obviously trying to push a more digital and internet connected future too (Gaikai and remote play), so obviously those features are useless to you as you don't think cloud gaming is a good idea.

If you think I make no points other than "lol" then you are absolutely horrible at reading. If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but you need an actual intelligent rebuttal instead of name calling and "BUT BUT BUT BUT SONY!"
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#22Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/5/2013 10:51:52 AM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but you need an actual intelligent rebuttal instead of name calling and "BUT BUT BUT BUT SONY!"
you're the one who brought up Sony, why are are you being so defensive?
#23RollnThunder213Posted 10/5/2013 10:53:47 AM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...

If you think I make no points other than "lol" then you are absolutely horrible at reading. If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but you need an actual intelligent rebuttal instead of name calling and "BUT BUT BUT BUT SONY!"

Just answer the question, is it a mistake for Sony to have purchased Gaikai?

I think the answer is a definitive no, but you must feel differently.

These servers allow dedicated servers for games (CoD Ghosts, Titanfall) which is something that has been done for years and years and is a proven, not theoretical, benefit.

What the servers can do realtime while playing is allowing the servers to calculate non latency intensive things like lighting, AI etc. This allows the local hardware to not have to calculate that and leaves more power for the machine to do other things. These things have been done already and have shown that they don't need fast internet or large amounts of bandwidth and that they also aren't noticeable to the player in terms of latency if used correctly.

The only thing that you could criticize is the general internet infrastructure in your area not being reliable or fast enough. If this is the case then that would mean cloud gaming isn't for you. Just because you can't keep up with technology doesn't mean it should wait for you.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#24EastCoastKodyPosted 10/5/2013 10:59:31 AM
so GTA Online had no problems on PSN?
#25Trigger99XPosted 10/5/2013 11:23:44 AM
EastCoastKody posted...
so GTA Online had no problems on PSN?

it had problems everywhere
#26RebelGameMasterPosted 10/5/2013 11:27:26 AM
TJ, these aren't even nails in Xbone's coffin, it's already dead and buried. Now you're just peeing on its grave.
---
:)
#27SoulTrapperPosted 10/5/2013 1:08:02 PM(edited)

Just answer the question, is it a mistake for Sony to have purchased Gaikai?

I think the answer is a definitive no, but you must feel differently.

These servers allow dedicated servers for games (CoD Ghosts, Titanfall) which is something that has been done for years and years and is a proven, not theoretical, benefit.

This part is true, but dedicated servers have been around for years on ps3 just as well.
This is nothing new.

What the servers can do realtime while playing is allowing the servers to calculate non latency intensive things like lighting, AI etc. This allows the local hardware to not have to calculate that and leaves more power for the machine to do other things. These things have been done already and have shown that they don't need fast internet or large amounts of bandwidth and that they also aren't noticeable to the player in terms of latency if used correctly.

This is all theoretical.
If they were such a huge advantage (or even possible with current technology) why hasn't it been done?
And why isn't a single xbox game utilizing these cloud features for anything but data storage?

It's because it's much easier to get all of this done by the console itself.

A mandatory large bandwidth internet connection and the latency accompanying it are not what developers want in their games.
On top of that, most cloud functions would only be available for exclusive games, making the potential uses for it even smaller seeing as how it's very unlikely that a dev would spend all that extra time and money to utilize something that's not needed.

On top of that, it would separate the potential market.
People who don't have or want to connect their console to the internet at all times won't buy the games utilizing the cloud.

The only thing that you could criticize is the general internet infrastructure in your area not being reliable or fast enough. If this is the case then that would mean cloud gaming isn't for you. Just because you can't keep up with technology doesn't mean it should wait for you.

Cloud gaming isn't for anyone at this point in time. It might be around 2025 or something.

Cloud computation is future talk, it's completely ridiculous to claim otherwise. Especially seeing as how there are no examples of it being useful for gaming anywhere outside of dedicated servers and data storage.

As this article rightfully concludes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

What's obvious at this point is that the concept of cloud computing looks uncertain and unlikely, and Microsoft needs to prove its claims with actual software
Microsoft needs to prove its position with strong ideas and practical demonstrations. Until then, it's perhaps best not to get too carried away with the idea of a super-powered console, and there's very little evidence that Sony needs to be worried about its PS4 specs advantage being comprehensively wiped out by "the power of the cloud".

If it really had such great potential, why hasn't a single PC dev made use of it yet, despite cloud functionality being available for years?
---
PSN: El_Coon
#28CrayCrayFishPosted 10/5/2013 1:14:30 PM
Because Rockstar has as many servers available as Microsoft right?

Because Microsoft is using all it's servers for gaming right?
#29GambitbuzzkillPosted 10/5/2013 1:21:24 PM
I'm sorry this topic is stupid all TC is looking to do is troll, the min some tries to have a debate about the topic he mocks them so whats the point of all this.
---
Gametag-BLOODLUST66
PSN-Dalust66
#30SoManyGames777Posted 10/5/2013 1:44:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]