So the power of the cloud is all bark and no bite

#31IvanKozlovPosted 10/5/2013 2:48:42 PM
CrayCrayFish posted...
RollnThunder213 posted...
Because Rockstar has as many servers available as Microsoft right?

Because Microsoft is using all it's servers for gaming right?

They're allowing as many as devs need with the Azure service.
---
For the night is dark and full of terrors.
#32RollnThunder213Posted 10/5/2013 3:00:26 PM
SoulTrapper posted...

This part is true, but dedicated servers have been around for years on ps3 just as well

True, the point I was more trying to make is that it becomes possible for absolutely anything, not just a handful of first party games. With Microsoft owning a huge amount servers it makes it very easy to allow third parties to take advantage of this. Call of Duty and Titanfall are examples of this. It's less being a new advancement and more the proliferation of it.

This is all theoretical.
If they were such a huge advantage why hasn't it been done?
And why isn't a single xbox game utilizing these cloud features for anything but data storage?

It's because it's much easier to get all of this done by the console itself.

A mandatory large bandwidth internet connection and the latency accompanying it are not what developers want in their games.
On top of that, most cloud functions would only be available for exclusive games, making the potential uses for it even smaller seeing as how it's very unlikely that a dev would spend all that extra time and money to utilize something that's not needed.

On top of that, it would separate the potential market.
People who don't have or want to connect their console to the internet at all times won't buy the games utilizing the cloud.

There are definitely examples of lighting being done server side and there being no noticeable difference to gameplay unless the latency was ridiculously high, which anyone with anything faster than dial up could reach.

Developers will do it if it allows their games to look significantly better, it's just another selling point that will push their game. I think people overestimate what percentage of the gaming community is without decent internet. I'm not saying developers will need to do this, but a game can still sell ridiculously well to a market that needs internet. Forza uses cloud in a new way.

There has to come a point where you leave behind old technology to move forward, we're not supporting SDTVs with the new consoles. I foresee fast internet becoming as widespread as electricity within the next few years. I just see Microsoft getting ahead of the curve, just like the inclusion of a ethernet port on the original Xbox despite hardly anyone having broadband internet.

Cloud gaming isn't for anyone at this point in time. It might be around 2025 or something.

Cloud computation is future talk, it's completely ridiculous to claim otherwise. Especially seeing as how there are no examples of it being useful for gaming anywhere outside of dedicated servers and data storage.

As this article rightfully concludes:
What's obvious at this point is that the concept of cloud computing looks uncertain and unlikely, and Microsoft needs to prove its claims with actual software
Microsoft needs to prove its position with strong ideas and practical demonstrations. Until then, it's perhaps best not to get too carried away with the idea of a super-powered console, and there's very little evidence that Sony needs to be worried about its PS4 specs advantage being comprehensively wiped out by "the power of the cloud".

If it really had such great potential, why hasn't a single PC dev made use of it yet, despite cloud functionality being available for years?

As the article says itself, they'll have to prove it with actual software. I think we'll see it soon enough. A console's main features are never taken advantage of with launch titles. We'll definitely see these games within the next few years.

It doesn't happen on PC because no developer is going to pay for servers for a non MMO when for better results they can just ask the players to buy better hardware.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#33SoulTrapperPosted 10/5/2013 3:32:44 PM

There are definitely examples of lighting being done server side and there being no noticeable difference to gameplay unless the latency was ridiculously high, which anyone with anything faster than dial up could reach.

Developers will do it if it allows their games to look significantly better, it's just another selling point that will push their game. I think people overestimate what percentage of the gaming community is without decent internet. I'm not saying developers will need to do this, but a game can still sell ridiculously well to a market that needs internet. Forza uses cloud in a new way.

Could you give some examples, because I know of none.

And that's one of the issues: it won't make much (if any) difference getting the lighting done remotely and adds latency.

It's not only about having decent internet, it's also about having your console connected to it at all times.
I have decent internet (fastest available in my country), but neither my 360 nor my ps3 is connected at all times.

Forza is using it for it's AI, but that's basically data storage, not really anything new.

There has to come a point where you leave behind old technology to move forward, we're not supporting SDTVs with the new consoles. I foresee fast internet becoming as widespread as electricity within the next few years. I just see Microsoft getting ahead of the curve, just like the inclusion of a ethernet port on the original Xbox despite hardly anyone having broadband internet.

Sure, the problem is that this time isn't here yet and I don't think it will be available at a good price in the next few years.
And even if it does happen, it won't happen everywhere at once and you'll once again be stuck with a one half of the market that can utilize it and another that can't.

As the article says itself, they'll have to prove it with actual software. I think we'll see it soon enough. A console's main features are never taken advantage of with launch titles. We'll definitely see these games within the next few years.

It doesn't happen on PC because no developer is going to pay for servers for a non MMO when for better results they can just ask the players to buy better hardware.

Exactly: right now there is nothing to back up the "power of the cloud" marketing talk they gave.

I'm not exactly sure the cloud is a main feature, for all the reasons mentioned earlier and the simple fact that I don't see devs (especially multiplat devs) utilizing something that will cause more issues for the consumer (constant online connection and high bandwidth required) and for the devs themselves.
It's basically their earlier DRM all over again, except for the 24 hour check-ins.

That's assuming the cloud computing will give better results and not just handle computations otherwise done by the PC/console itself to lessen strain on the hardware.
I'm pretty certain a company like EA, that has it's own servers, would have been more than happy to try something like this.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#34gobuffalo30Posted 10/5/2013 3:37:53 PM(edited)
IvanKozlov posted...
CrayCrayFish posted...
Because Rockstar has as many servers available as Microsoft right?

Because Microsoft is using all it's servers for gaming right?

They're allowing as many as devs need with the Azure service.

To caveat, they're allowing as many as devs needed that are available without taking away all of the servers for other companies. They're still using the servers for other MS services.
#35TRC-G00SEPosted 10/5/2013 5:02:17 PM
Trigger99X posted...
EastCoastKody posted...
so GTA Online had no problems on PSN?

it had problems everywhere

Ands thats ok. Its only a real issue when xbox games have issues. Based on the logic around here.
---
****!
#36TheGam3925Posted 10/5/2013 5:09:57 PM
Biliionz of little transistorz!!!!

Lol what a stupid sales pitch. MS is trying to BS everyone but nobody is falling for it.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#37R_JackalPosted 10/5/2013 5:33:59 PM
To people stating this is the only bad example. It isn't. Cloud computing is essentially how MMO's have been handled for a long time--just more practical and useful in other applications.

Look at every MMO launch in history, Sims, and Diablo 3.

This style of computing IS stable, however, what's not stable is our end. When our end isn't stable, their end isn't stable, and the whole thing goes to hell real ****ing fast if it's on a huge scale.