Xbox One Can Work Like a TV That Watches Consumers In Their Living Rooms

#1SoulTrapperPosted 10/6/2013 8:42:10 AM
http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/

Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

But perhaps the biggest potential impact is one Mr. Mehdi only hinted at -- the possibility of making data from Xbox available for market research.

So confirmed once again: the xbox is watching you watch TV.

Goodbye privacy, we hardly knew ye.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#2YeomanlyPosted 10/6/2013 8:49:59 AM
"Thank you for participating in this months marketing watch, please pick a FREE game from this list of ten, don't forget to opt in to next months marketing watch for more FREE games"

Don't sound so bad now does it?

And everything in that article is taken out of context, everything would need to be opted in, and as such there would be rewards for those that do, advertisers pat big money, look what they do for sport, TV etc.
#3SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 8:55:30 AM
Yeomanly posted...
"Thank you for participating in this months marketing watch, please pick a FREE game from this list of ten, don't forget to opt in to next months marketing watch for more FREE games"

Don't sound so bad now does it?

And everything in that article is taken out of context, everything would need to be opted in, and as such there would be rewards for those that do, advertisers pat big money, look what they do for sport, TV etc.

Sure, I bet the people who got spied on through Skype opted in on that as well, right?

Haven't seen anything about rewards and even if there was: you're allowing a corporation to shoot footage in your living room for some digital content.
This stuff is ridiculous.

People will be giving tons of money and their privacy to Microsoft in exchange for absolutely nothing.

Don't forget, people buying the xbox, once you go down this path and say it's okay for a corporation involved in the biggest spying scandal in history to place a camera in your living room, they'll only keep pushing further and further.
---
#4YeomanlyPosted 10/6/2013 9:01:33 AM
I live in the UK, we can't go out our front door without 20+ cameras seeing us. Every single device I own collects and sends data, this is no major scandal it will all be opted in/out, Microsoft have already stated everything about our face on camera is stored locally, nothing is sent to servers or elsewhere without our permission.

I actually think this is clever technology, and if marketers want information I believe they will offer great rewards for those that do 'want' to opt in.

And you do know the kinect can be unplugged right?
#5SunDevil77Posted 10/6/2013 9:10:58 AM
Or you could just disconnect Kinect if you're worried.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#6SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 9:13:37 AM(edited)
Yeomanly posted...
I live in the UK, we can't go out our front door without 20+ cameras seeing us. Every single device I own collects and sends data, this is no major scandal it will all be opted in/out, Microsoft have already stated everything about our face on camera is stored locally, nothing is sent to servers or elsewhere without our permission.

I actually think this is clever technology, and if marketers want information I believe they will offer great rewards for those that do 'want' to opt in.

And you do know the kinect can be unplugged right?

So it's okay to get spied on in your living room because you get spied on in the street?

It's okay to get kicked in the nuts because you've been punched in the face?

Yeah, Microsoft also stated the NSA wasn't spying on people through Skype, that the cloud would make the xbox 4 times as powerful, that removing the DRM was hard, that kinect was an integral part of the system, etc etc

They really don't have a good reputation when it comes to being honest.

It's a great technology for Microsoft and advertisers.
It's terrible for everyone whit a working brain.

Magnificent! Digital items in exchange for your and your families privacy! What a great trade off!

Great, so you can unplug kinect and than it's a $143 paper weight, fantastic!

This is an absolutely ridiculous thing to defend and you know it just as well as I do.

SunDevil77 posted...
Or you could just disconnect Kinect if you're worried.

Sure, and than you've got a $143 paper weight.

And this isn't just through kinect, they'll track everything else you do as well.
What programs you watch etc

Kinect is the worst part of it, but the entire "connect it to all your devices" thing is almost just as terrifying.
---
#7whitelytningPosted 10/6/2013 9:19:42 AM
In the article he was talking about the capabilities of the kinect, not the way it performs on default.

The paragraph after the one you quoted explains that consumers would have to consent to share the data. This means if you don't want them "spying" on you, you can choose not to.

Given that Xbox 360 has sold more than 78 million units, if even a fraction of likely Xbox One users could be persuaded to share data, the technology could create the world's largest panel for measuring biometric responses to advertising

Not to rehash old arguments but this article is not too different than me saying, "its possible for the camera in my laptop to work like a tv and spy on me." Yes the new kinect is much more advanced and allows them to get more information but the point is I have to allow them to collect the information. If I don't want them to, I can simply not share the information.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg
#8SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 9:24:15 AM
whitelytning posted...
In the article he was talking about the capabilities of the kinect, not the way it performs on default.

The paragraph after the one you quoted explains that consumers would have to consent to share the data. This means if you don't want them "spying" on you, you can choose not to.

Given that Xbox 360 has sold more than 78 million units, if even a fraction of likely Xbox One users could be persuaded to share data, the technology could create the world's largest panel for measuring biometric responses to advertising

Not to rehash old arguments but this article is not too different than me saying, "its possible for the camera in my laptop to work like a tv and spy on me." Yes the new kinect is much more advanced and allows them to get more information but the point is I have to allow them to collect the information. If I don't want them to, I can simply not share the information.

Sure, just like how people got the chance to opt-in for sharing their Skype footage with Microsoft and the NSA as well, right?

Microsoft has consistently been lying to all of their consumers, why would I trust them on this?
Especially seeing as how the Terms of Use already allow them collect this data to begin with?
---
#9SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 9:29:04 AM
I just remembered this:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/63469/xbox-ones-kinect-isnt-being-used-to-gather-data-for-advertising-insists-microsofts-penello/

So only two days after saying they won't use the kinect for data gathering, they turn around and say it will be used for data gathering.

They were lying to everyone just two days ago and now we should just trust them again?
---
#10whitelytningPosted 10/6/2013 9:31:46 AM(edited)
I'm not going to argue about if MS will lie and use the data if we don't consent or not because neither one of us has any support for that argument. It just comes down to whether you are cynical or not. I just wanted to be fair and point out that users have to elect to share the data or not in order for MS to use it for marketing because it wasn't clear from the OP.

Also, sending data to the NSA is different than using your data for marketing. There are legal checks and balances that are being worked on in the courts as we speak regarding the NSA's access to data and our privacy rights. We have very little privacy from the state and federal governments and the Kinect doesn't really change too much.

*sorry, for late edit, I realize I wasn't clear.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg