Xbox One Can Work Like a TV That Watches Consumers In Their Living Rooms

#71JohnHalo343Posted 10/7/2013 9:46:34 AM
Pay it forward.
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#72SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 12:41:11 PM
TBONE_OG posted...
ITT: Episode VI: Return of the Tin Foil Hat

Except this time it's Microsoft themselves saying it.

They're outright telling you they'll collect data through the kinect for marketing purposes.

I really don't see how this has anything to do with tin foil hats anymore, they're telling you it straight to your face.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#73BloodyDove2vsPosted 10/7/2013 12:43:18 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/

Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

But perhaps the biggest potential impact is one Mr. Mehdi only hinted at -- the possibility of making data from Xbox available for market research.

So confirmed once again: the xbox is watching you watch TV.

Goodbye privacy, we hardly knew ye.

Good post.
---
Microsoft please stop deploying your rep. to the forums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8aNBFFaw0
#74SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 1:06:00 PM
BloodyDove2vs posted...

Good post.

Thanks
---
#75MasteroftheArtsPosted 10/7/2013 4:33:26 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
I'm not ignoring that at all, I'm simply asking whether people who got their Skype footage collected by Microsoft and the NSA had the choice to opt-in for that as well.
Could you confirm that?

As far as collecting the footage? I have no idea. What's your point? This has nothing to do with marketing the footage, but giving it to the NSA which is a completely different legal matter. A matter which is being decided in the courts as we speak. With that said, selling collected data for marketing purposes is settled. They require permission.

SoulTrapper posted...
It's also stated quite clearly in the ToU that you agree to all of this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/legal/livetou

Your privacy is important to us. We collect certain information about you to operate and provide the Services. We may also automatically upload information about your computer, your use of the Services, and Services' performance as part of the Services.

Personal information collected by Microsoft may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country or region in which Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers maintain facilities. You consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country or region.

If you use the Xbox console with Kinect, we may also collect data about the way in which you interact with the console and the Services to improve Microsoft products and services.

This is something that's been known for quite sometime.

So you already agree to let Microsoft collect this data by agreeing to the ToU.

Them adding an opt-in feature does not mean they can't legally obtain any info they want even if you don't opt-in, because you've given consent by agreeing to the ToU.

So once again, it comes down to whether or not you trust Microsoft, the company involved in one of the biggest spying scandals in history and who lied to you about this very thing just two days ago.

And once AGAIN, you fail to miss the point. Collecting the data doesn't mean a damn thing. Virtually any social networking site is collecting personal data about you via ad revenue and searching algorithms. Google is the king of this practice. No one really cares if companies collect data, they care if the data is sold to marketing firms which will then call and harass them. This is illegal without consent. Here's an example of this exact provision:

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels.

I can guarantee you that everyone that makes videos on youtube, myself included, doesn't care one iota about this provision. The Xbox Privacy Policy doesn't even have this provision, but it does have one with regard to responding to legal requests from the government:

We also may share or disclose personal information, including the content of your communications:
To comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies.

PSN has an opt-in provision in their privacy policy and I'm just as indifferent to it. I'm not afraid of some grand conspiracy from either Sony or Microsoft. I'm just not.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#76SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 1:12:12 AM
MasteroftheArts posted...

As far as collecting the footage? I have no idea. What's your point? This has nothing to do with marketing the footage, but giving it to the NSA which is a completely different legal matter. A matter which is being decided in the courts as we speak. With that said, selling collected data for marketing purposes is settled. They require permission.

It just shows that they collected data in a legal way simply by having people agree to the ToU.

They never said they're selling the data, they're making it available for market research.
Which you agree to by agreeing to the ToU.

And once AGAIN, you fail to miss the point. Collecting the data doesn't mean a damn thing. Virtually any social networking site is collecting personal data about you via ad revenue and searching algorithms. Google is the king of this practice. No one really cares if companies collect data, they care if the data is sold to marketing firms which will then call and harass them.

This isn't just collecting data through clicking ads, this is collecting data with a camera that racks your eye-movements and heartbeat.

I understand the point, you're just arguing a different one.

You're trying to say it's alright to kick someone in the nuts, if they've already been punched in the face.
I disagree.

Whether they sell this data or analyze it themselves and just charge more for ads (which would circumvent that entirely) is a different story all together.

The point here is that you're giving Microsoft direct access to your living room with an HD camera.

I'm fairly certain no one would allow this into their house if you told them this.
It's only because it's being disguised as a toy that people think it's harmless.

This is illegal without consent. Here's an example of this exact provision:

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's

This is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, because it's not about "content you make", it's about data collection.
Data collection and self created/published content are not the same thing.

I can guarantee you that everyone that makes videos on youtube, myself included, doesn't care one iota about this provision. The Xbox Privacy Policy doesn't even have this provision, but it does have one with regard to responding to legal requests from the government:

We also may share or disclose personal information, including the content of your communications:
To comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies.

The privacy policy is meaningless, it has no legal value at all if you can't show that you suffered a loss due to a breach.

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/contractsprof_blog/2010/08/is-a-websites-privacy-policy-a-binding-contract.html

What is a lot more important is that you give them consent to use your data through the ToU.

PSN has an opt-in provision in their privacy policy and I'm just as indifferent to it. I'm not afraid of some grand conspiracy from either Sony or Microsoft. I'm just not.

It's not a conspiracy, it's what's actually happening:

You're giving Microsoft consent to collect data in your living room with an HD, eye-movement and heart rate tracking camera.
---
#77chrish909Posted 10/8/2013 3:28:11 AM
Congrats tc, everyone is getting ps4 no one is getting x1. Are you happy now? Is this what you want? That was an excellent post tc, keep up the great work.

Your arguement is ancient, back in june people were arguing about this. Kinect doesnt have to be plugged in.
---
Sony promised 30 first year exclusives for ps4 first year. Too bad they are mostly indy titles.
#78SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 3:30:58 AM
chrish909 posted...

Your arguement is ancient, back in june people were arguing about this. Kinect doesnt have to be plugged in.

My argument is ancient, but was always said to be false.

Now Microsoft themselves have come out and said it's true.

Great! You can disconnect the mandatory device and use it as a $143 paperweight!
Fantastic solution!

Of course, you will still be saying that it's okay for Microsoft to do this to people who don't know what exactly the kinect is used for.
---
#79TargettPracticePosted 10/8/2013 4:41:20 AM
Only terrorists worry about someone watching what they do.

You and the entire world could spy on me all day long, and I wouldn't give a single crap because I have nothing to hide. You might even learn something.
#80SoulTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 5:32:05 AM
TargettPractice posted...
Only terrorists worry about someone watching what they do.

You and the entire world could spy on me all day long, and I wouldn't give a single crap because I have nothing to hide. You might even learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQaH3-LK54
---