So Ryse Son of Rome is a basic Hack and Slash?

#1unclekoolaid73Posted 10/6/2013 5:05:20 PM
Everything ive seen so far points to the topic title so far.
To me it seems very basic even for a Hack and Slash.
Are there any skill trees or character development?
Can you use different weapons other than a sword and shield combo?
Can one choose multiple paths to get from point A to point B or is it linear like a COD Single player game?

Just a few questions i'd like answered if anyone knows. as I stated before everything I've seen so far is underwhelming/basic for a next generation hack and slash IMO.

Thanks in advance
#2Orange_ApplesPosted 10/6/2013 5:14:06 PM
well, I know the combat is supposedly more in depth than than a hack'n'slash as it has been described as being similar to the Batman Arkham games.

do you know if the Xbox One tour is coming to your area? You may be able to try it out there and ask them your questions.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#3MrImpatient35Posted 10/6/2013 5:16:42 PM
As far as character development, you can unlock different executions throughout the game. I think there's 120 executions in total. I know there's more than 100.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#4sworderPosted 10/6/2013 5:26:31 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
well, I know the combat is supposedly more in depth than than a hack'n'slash as it has been described as being similar to the Batman Arkham games.

You must be thinking of beat em ups

Hack and Slash are things like Bayonetta and DMC, they have way more depth than anything this game could muster

But then again you look at Dragon's Crown and it has more depth than this game too

You could say this is an action game like AC4 without the big open world. At least AC has stuff to explore, walls to climb, stealth, and a few other stuff to make up for their lack of good combat. This game? Yeah, doesn't really have anything going for it other than graphics

You like QTEs?
#5suzukimatsuiPosted 10/6/2013 5:55:49 PM(edited)
sworder posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

Hack and Slash are things like Bayonetta and DMC, they have way more depth than anything this game could muster

But then again you look at Dragon's Crown and it has more depth than this game too

You could say this is an action game like AC4 without the big open world. At least AC has stuff to explore, walls to climb, stealth, and a few other stuff to make up for their lack of good combat. This game? Yeah, doesn't really have anything going for it other than graphics

You like QTEs?

Ugh.... no Bayonetta and DMC are not considered hack and slash. Dynasty Warriors is the very definition of the genre and the gameplay mechanics are nowhere the same to games like Bayonetta or DMC
#6gobuffalo30Posted 10/6/2013 5:56:45 PM
From gameplay I've seen, it basically is hack and slash. Hit them a few times and execution mode, rinse and repeat.
#7SunDevil77Posted 10/6/2013 5:57:43 PM
suzukimatsui posted...
Ugh.... no Bayonetta and DMC are not considered hack and slash

Ugh...yes. They are. Maybe not by you, but by everyone else.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#8Hi CPosted 10/6/2013 6:04:17 PM
sworder posted...
Orange_Apples posted...

Hack N' Slash are what they now just call Action RPG's.

DMC, Final Fight, Bayonetta, Ryse, Streets of Rage, God of War, Dantes Inferno etc It doesn't matter if you spend points to upgrade skills or swing pixels that look like a sword. Pixels don't define a genre, mechanics do and every one of them is a beat'em up.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9sworderPosted 10/6/2013 6:21:54 PM(edited)
Hi C posted...
Hack N' Slash are what they now just call Action RPG's.

DMC, Final Fight, Bayonetta, Ryse, Streets of Rage, God of War, Dantes Inferno etc It doesn't matter if you spend points to upgrade skills or swing pixels that look like a sword. Pixels don't define a genre, mechanics do and every one of them is a beat'em up.

Hack and Slash are a more defined subgenre

Saying they're all beat 'em ups is like saying they're all action games. You can still divide them into more categories.

For example, the Arkham games are action and beat em up but not hack and slash. Ryse would fall under whatever the Arkham games would fall under
#10Orange_ApplesPosted 10/6/2013 8:21:21 PM
sworder posted...
Ryse would fall under whatever the Arkham games would fall under

Would "open-world brawler" work? Is Ryse open-world? Should we just call them brawlers?
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.