Microsoft to provide Xbox data to marketers.

#1kyncaniPosted 10/7/2013 11:33:51 AM
Xbox One's ability to determine if people are paying attention to advertisements or how their bodies respond to promotional material. - Results (46 votes)
Yea
23.91% (11 votes)
Nay
34.78% (16 votes)
Gah
41.3% (19 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Hi everyone,

"If even a fraction of likely Xbox One users could be persuaded to share data, the technology could create the world's largest panel for measuring biometric responses to advertising."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-on-xbox-ones-advertising-potential-6415386

Made for games, not for advertising ... riiiiiiight.
#2darkphiresagePosted 10/7/2013 11:48:40 AM
to be fair, they were pretty upfront about how important advertising would be. hell, they even let the lead of their ad team do an interview. I couldn't tell you why some people continue to deny that they'll spy on you for ad profit when MS themselves have said numerous times they would...still trying to figure that one out myself. O_o
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#3calibus11Posted 10/7/2013 11:54:27 AM
This is already happening everywhere, everyday.fact.

...and it will happen on Sony's devices too...along with Samsung and the rest...it's the world we live in.
#4zephirrainesPosted 10/7/2013 12:16:45 PM
calibus11 posted...
This is already happening everywhere, everyday.fact.

...and it will happen on Sony's devices too...along with Samsung and the rest...it's the world we live in.

Shhhh some people think target marketing is new.
#5bob15xPosted 10/7/2013 12:20:14 PM
darkphiresage posted...
to be fair, they were pretty upfront about how important advertising would be. hell, they even let the lead of their ad team do an interview. I couldn't tell you why some people continue to deny that they'll spy on you for ad profit when MS themselves have said numerous times they would...still trying to figure that one out myself. O_o

people know that it will be used for advertising but they deny the spying because you can't be spied on when you actually have to give permission for it to be done and you have the ability to opt out.

If the NSA came to you and said, hey, is it ok if we back door into your cellphone and gather information.

sure, why not go ahead.

You can't turn around and say the NSA was spying on you.

If they did it without your knowledge than yes, but that is not the case. People seem to completely ignore that they have the power to say yes or no.
#6PulpPosted 10/7/2013 12:20:27 PM
I'm OK with Ads...but I am not paying for the privledge. If MS wants to give me a hell of a deal, by heavily subsidizing the cost of the console since they will benefit from the added revenue stream at my expense, we can talk. But right now...it's costing me an extra $100 over the PS4?!

Lol, no thanks MS...you got things a little backwards.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#7darkphiresagePosted 10/7/2013 1:33:26 PM
bob15x posted...
darkphiresage posted...

people know that it will be used for advertising but they deny the spying because you can't be spied on when you actually have to give permission for it to be done and you have the ability to opt out.

If the NSA came to you and said, hey, is it ok if we back door into your cellphone and gather information.

sure, why not go ahead.

You can't turn around and say the NSA was spying on you.

If they did it without your knowledge than yes, but that is not the case. People seem to completely ignore that they have the power to say yes or no.

a fair point. I suppose I could have worded it better. I've seen people who still deny that MS will gather any info on you at all. they seem to be coming around tho, there's less and less of them. as far as giving consent goes, I still don't trust em not to put it square in the EULA.

I remember reading about there possibly being incentives to opting in. that's a step in the right direction and makes me think there's a possibility that they won't try to f*** their customers raw. proving me wrong could only end well for gamers, so let's see watcha got MS.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#8MRL3G3NDPosted 10/7/2013 1:48:58 PM
they put more thought into marketing to marketers

when they forgot to provide a reason to put this in my home

smh at the people who are cool with this

talk about die hard
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#9NeoMonkPosted 10/7/2013 1:55:20 PM
I thought they weren't working on this?
Microsoft said they weren't working on marketing data mining you for the console just focusing on games?

Oh the lies they tell & how quickly they get exposed...
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#10axelfooley2k5Posted 10/7/2013 2:09:38 PM(edited)
MRL3G3ND posted...
they put more thought into marketing to marketers

when they forgot to provide a reason to put this in my home

smh at the people who are cool with this

talk about die hard

i like how microsoft is almost bragging about it
built with advertising in mind lol
almost as bad as five hundred and ninety nine us dollars
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw