Call of Duty: Ghosts to have dedicated servers on ALL platforms.

#31pigman2003Posted 10/7/2013 4:48:04 PM
sworder posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
This is one game. That hardly constitutes a trend among all multiplatform titles.

It's really the only one that matters

BF already has them. Destiny will have them. GTA has them. What other huge game has competitive multiplayer where it would actually make a difference?

Destiny has not been confirmed to have dedicated servers.

I hope The Division has dedicated servers.
#32NotCeoPosted 10/7/2013 5:00:46 PM
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again, has Microsoft changed anything about the way they're handling dedicated servers on the X1 compared to the 360?

As far as I can tell, it's all marketing spin. They're just talking about things that the 360 was capable of doing because they're grasping for some semblance of an advantage.
#33zepfyaPosted 10/7/2013 5:12:36 PM
NotCeo posted...
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again, has Microsoft changed anything about the way they're handling dedicated servers on the X1 compared to the 360?

As far as I can tell, it's all marketing spin. They're just talking about things that the 360 was capable of doing because they're grasping for some semblance of an advantage.

Hey Sony fanboy, maybe you should do some research about the money Microsoft spent on 500k servers.
#34GambitbuzzkillPosted 10/7/2013 5:55:25 PM
sworder posted...
micheal82 posted...
So in other words, it uses Dedicated servers to set up the match and P2P for the match, like KZ:SF.

That's not what it says at all.

Dedicated servers will probably be used for normal multiplayer and listen servers will be used for the community games or squads and whatever else they add

Or maybe they limit the dedicated servers to League Play for those really worried about competitive. Who knows really, but dedicated servers are a go

You do know this is just a fancy way of saying pvp right.
---
Gametag-BLOODLUST66
PSN-Dalust66
#35NotCeoPosted 10/7/2013 8:37:44 PM
zepfya posted...
NotCeo posted...

Hey Sony fanboy, maybe you should do some research about the money Microsoft spent on 500k servers.

I believe you're completely uniformed on the issue.

Microsoft's claim was that Xbox Live would be supported by over 300,000 server cloud (not 500k). That doesn't mean anything because they're not giving us any sort of baseline to compare it to. It could really be nothing but PR hype.

Again, I'm not saying it's all marketing spin, I'm just saying there's no evidence to support the idea that they've actually changed the way they're handling things.
#36NorthlanePosted 10/7/2013 10:18:29 PM
Microsoft always loses
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx59irOPJF1qhpfnjo1_500.jpg
#37ViryuPosted 10/8/2013 6:57:47 AM
NotCeo posted...
zepfya posted...
NotCeo posted...

Microsoft's claim was that Xbox Live would be supported by over 300,000 server cloud (not 500k). That doesn't mean anything because they're not giving us any sort of baseline to compare it to. It could really be nothing but PR hype.

Again, I'm not saying it's all marketing spin, I'm just saying there's no evidence to support the idea that they've actually changed the way they're handling things.

Furthermore, the 300k number is an estimate of virtual servers, so it's unknown how many physical servers there will be in reality. The number is further cut by the fact that Azure is spread all over Microsoft's products, like Windows or MS Games platform. And the final fact is, developers still have to pay for them, as revealed by their own first party dev, although exclusive making studios have to pay just a small portion of the full price.
#38HENTAIDOJIPosted 10/8/2013 12:52:46 PM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Orange_Apples posted...
I don't know much about how it all works, but what is a "listening server"?

I had no clue, either, this is what wikipedia says:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_server#Listen_server

Listen servers run in the same process as a game client. They otherwise function like dedicated servers, but typically have the disadvantage of having to communicate with remote players over the residential internet connection of the hosting player. Residential connections rarely support the upload requirements of games with many players; the typical limit is 16. Performance is also reduced by the simple fact that the machine running the server is also generating an output image. Furthermore, listen servers grant anyone playing on them directly a large latency advantage over other players ("host with most") and cease to exist when that player leaves the game.[1][3]

Did I read that right? Why does this sound similar to Killzone Shadow Fall where its not true dedicated servers but rather a more confusing way to say its still P2P?

Its a server dedicated to managing p2p connections. Basically the old version of xbox live.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#39HENTAIDOJIPosted 10/8/2013 1:03:47 PM
NotCeo posted...
zepfya posted...
NotCeo posted...

Yes they did. They compared it to the physical servers of xbox live from 2002 to today. Its spin to suggest otherwise. Peeps just latched on to jon blows disbelief.

Also no evidence? Cloud computing and dedicated servers in all first party games is a standard. They're also doing dedis For CoD which is probably the biggest online game on consoles.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg