So let me get this straight...

#1GalvatronType_RPosted 10/7/2013 5:39:43 PM
-I was under the apparent misconception that you could still play games on the X1 at launch without the day 1 patch, you would just be subject to all the "reversed" DRM

-the day 1 patch would only make dormant (but not remove) the DRM (keeping it there for possible future reactivation at Microsoft's discretion)

-but now, you all are saying that the day 1 patch updates the ENTIRE operating system and not just the DRM? In other words, you couldn't play ANY games on day 1 without the patch regardless of DRM or not?

-if so, that is unprecedented BS and a lot of parents and grandparents (who don't know better and aren't educated about this stuff) will be quite... put out
#2BigAl519Posted 10/7/2013 5:53:50 PM
That is true. As I have said in other threads but the fanboys of this board keep trying to deny, the system is basically dead on arrival. Its completely useless if its not plugged in and updated from the moment its brought home.

But don't worry, the fanboys will be in soon and make sure to tell you about how it isn't a big deal. That MS stated there was a patch long ago so it makes it OK that they are shipping a dead console.
---
90% DVR 10% Gaming all thrown into one!
#3SAMCROftwPosted 10/7/2013 5:54:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4bloodlover4everPosted 10/7/2013 6:16:49 PM
Parents and grandparents are not the majority in the decesion buying process!!!
It is the same when you buy an iphone or an iPad, you need to be connected to the internet somehow!!!
#5ElitePosted 10/7/2013 6:38:00 PM
No no no. Let me get this crooked!
#6khardboredPosted 10/7/2013 6:40:56 PM
BigAl519 posted...
That is true. As I have said in other threads but the fanboys of this board keep trying to deny, the system is basically dead on arrival. Its completely useless if its not plugged in and updated from the moment its brought home.

But don't worry, the fanboys will be in soon and make sure to tell you about how it isn't a big deal. That MS stated there was a patch long ago so it makes it OK that they are shipping a dead console.

There is nothing to argue. I am almost positive you're correct. When this was brought up the other day, I didn't believe you but since then there has been more news about the day one patch. I am not 100% sure that the Xbox is a brick without it, but more than likely, yes, it will be.
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#7squarex8264Posted 10/7/2013 6:51:56 PM
GalvatronType_R posted...
-I was under the apparent misconception that you could still play games on the X1 at launch without the day 1 patch, you would just be subject to all the "reversed" DRM

-the day 1 patch would only make dormant (but not remove) the DRM (keeping it there for possible future reactivation at Microsoft's discretion)

-but now, you all are saying that the day 1 patch updates the ENTIRE operating system and not just the DRM? In other words, you couldn't play ANY games on day 1 without the patch regardless of DRM or not?

-if so, that is unprecedented BS and a lot of parents and grandparents (who don't know better and aren't educated about this stuff) will be quite... put out

If it was your first scenario, how is that any different from your second scenario? If the DRM was still there as you originally thought, you would have to initially check in anyways to start your "24 hours until I need to check in again" countdown. With the way the system was originally pitched, you couldn't take it home and start playing games without connecting to the internet either...
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 10/7/2013 7:34:59 PM
A "Requires One Time Internet Connection" sticker on the box alleviates any confusion. If someone misses it, it's on them not MS.

Problem solved.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#9BudWisenheimerPosted 10/7/2013 7:53:03 PM
GalvatronType_R posted...

Repost:

Microsoft originally wanted to have 24-hour online checks for a few different reasons. But one of them was to allow software developers even more time to polish and tweak leading up to their releases. Forza5 is a great example of this. And so is the finished OS (operating system).

MS originally gave their OS team a November deadline to squeeze in every launch feature possible. But when the policy for a 24-hour check was reversed a week after E3 they had to choose between changing the deadline to match the beginning of hardware mass production which would rush the OS development by more than two months. Or they could honor their original deadline and let the team work right up until the console launch.

They went with the original deadline and will require the finished OS to be downloaded.

Not to defend Larry Hyrb's rudely grabbing the mic but when he implied the DRM/24-hour check wasn't as easy as flipping a switch he wasn't completely off. But not because of the DRM (there was no DRM as there was no finished OS and there still isn't). It was because taking away the check would rip over two months away from the software team (until they later decided to require a day one update).

In summary: there is no DRM and there is no patch because there is still no finished OS (no point in patching an OS that isn't finished). Your Xbone will probably do little more than power on and let you set the TV resolution and pick your language until you sign in for the online update to get the finished OS. And maybe once they sell out of the pre-launch consoles they will start to put the OS on the hardware. Maybe game discs will also start to include it too.
#10AzaneAzerPosted 10/7/2013 8:01:29 PM
servers slammed day 1, you end up not being able to download the unfinished product patch. You own a brick