Is the Xbox console the only one that directly commissions Japanese games?

#1TerraUniversePosted 10/7/2013 9:17:12 PM
Yes, the Playstation has many Japanese games, but most of the Playstation 3 games in America that are Japanese, for example, tend to be just ports of games that already came out in Japan and were originally made by Japanese developers for a Japanese audience. Atlus, NIS and Sega bring out a few games to America and releases them on the Playstation 3.

Microsoft however actually published and made great Japanese games like Lost Odyssey, or a game like Blue Dragon and when was the last time Playstation commissioned and actual Japanese-inspired game. I mean Sony itself.

Microsoft actually commissions these Japanese art, art that's not necessarily being asked for by the Japanese audience and usually, the games are Japanese, but at the same time have appeal to Western audience, and Microsoft makes sure to give enough money that some of the games come out looking amazing. Even if they're not high budget, they're usually unique titles.

I hope Microsoft continues this trend with the Xbox One, but I'm just wondering if you've noticed this difference between how Microsoft and Sony approach Japanese titles for Western audiences.
#2chrisromans123Posted 10/7/2013 9:22:04 PM
Lost odyssey was the only one I really liked, and the kind of gave up on those. Hopefully they will start again because I really want a lost odyssey 2
---
XDAO Romans
#3DelRowePosted 10/7/2013 9:45:45 PM
I did not know that. Regardless, Sony has gotten much better Japanese support on their consoles, and I don't see it changing.
---
You are not in control.
#4sworderPosted 10/7/2013 9:50:45 PM
You realize Sony has a Japanese development team called SCEJ? And they make games and help other developers make games?
#5Draconas_LyrrPosted 10/7/2013 10:02:52 PM
Sony doesn't need to commission Japanese games because the PlayStation is a Japanese console, and the Japanese tend to like Japanese stuff.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#6THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 10/7/2013 10:05:09 PM
I wished I worked at Microsoft Games Japan....Gotta be the easiest job ever.

Just show up and get paid.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#7FoppePosted 10/8/2013 2:09:29 AM
I always found it kinda strange that only 15% of Sony's firstparty development studios were in Japan.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#8quickposterPosted 10/8/2013 2:19:10 AM
Nintendo have done it as well. The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are two examples. Bayonetta 2 is technically another since nobody else sees paying towards a release as worth it.
#9TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 8:35:01 AM
quickposter posted...
Nintendo have done it as well. The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are two examples. Bayonetta 2 is technically another since nobody else sees paying towards a release as worth it.

Yeah, Nintendo has done it too. They're great games too.
#10darkphiresagePosted 10/8/2013 8:41:18 AM
sony doesn't make JP games now? tc is off his meds.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.