MS says they won't sell you information, then they say they will?

#1MuryoPosted 10/8/2013 6:55:15 AM
Really MS?

http://www.screwattack.com/news/microsoft-wont-sell-your-xbox-one-data-or-maybe-they-will
---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#2khardboredPosted 10/8/2013 7:03:36 AM
How is this different from any other company?

And this is taken from the comments

What's interesting is that the Advertising Age article (which is what Destructoid references) was assuming it was coming from the Kinect based on Mr. Mehdi's quote from the conference:

"We are trying to bridge some of the world between online and offline. That's a little bit of a holy grail in terms of how you understand the consumer in that 360 degrees of their life. We have a pretty unique position at Microsoft because of what we do with digital, as well as more and more with television because of Xbox. It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way, and hopefully at some point we can start to offer that to advertisers broadly."

Mr. Mehdi later E-mailed to Advertising Age that "Microsoft does not have plans to target ads or content based on any data Kinect collects, and we will not in the future unless someone chooses to allow us to do so. Even then, we would give them a clear explanation of what is collected and how it will be used."

This is almost consistent with Mr. Penello's earlier words, but it looks like All Things D has learned from Microsoft what Mr. Mehdi meant; apparently it was about giving the advertisers the opportunity from the interaction between Xbox One to external sources, with one example being how SmartGlass interacts with TV (note this is an example, some media outlets are now updating their articles saying it's all about SmartGlass which is also not true). Advertising Age did not mention any of this, and I suspect this is because they don't actually know how the Xbox One works (they still think you need to be connected once every 24 hours, until readers told them otherwise).

Microsoft needs to stop being terrible at disseminating their own information.

References (Google them, I'm not putting links here):

Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing - Advertising Age

Microsoft Denies Report of Ad Data Being Harvested From Xbox One’s Kinect - All Things D

---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#3Muryo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 7:10:54 AM
khardbored posted...

What's interesting is that the Advertising Age article (which is what Destructoid references) was assuming it was coming from the Kinect based on Mr. Mehdi's quote from the conference:

"We are trying to bridge some of the world between online and offline. That's a little bit of a holy grail in terms of how you understand the consumer in that 360 degrees of their life. We have a pretty unique position at Microsoft because of what we do with digital, as well as more and more with television because of Xbox. It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way, and hopefully at some point we can start to offer that to advertisers broadly."

Mr. Mehdi later E-mailed to Advertising Age that "Microsoft does not have plans to target ads or content based on any data Kinect collects, and we will not in the future unless someone chooses to allow us to do so. Even then, we would give them a clear explanation of what is collected and how it will be used."

This is almost consistent with Mr. Penello's earlier words, but it looks like All Things D has learned from Microsoft what Mr. Mehdi meant; apparently it was about giving the advertisers the opportunity from the interaction between Xbox One to external sources, with one example being how SmartGlass interacts with TV (note this is an example, some media outlets are now updating their articles saying it's all about SmartGlass which is also not true). Advertising Age did not mention any of this, and I suspect this is because they don't actually know how the Xbox One works (they still think you need to be connected once every 24 hours, until readers told them otherwise).

Microsoft Denies Report of Ad Data Being Harvested From Xbox One’s Kinect - All Things D

Any article where Sony, Nintendo, steam, etc are planning the same thing with their 8 gen systems or services?
---
#4SoulTrapperPosted 10/8/2013 7:14:31 AM(edited)
Yeah, they keep lying to people's face and expect them to trust MS putting a camera in their home.

It's ridiculous.

Also, TC, prepare to get flamed by butthurt fanboys and the local MS shills, they're attracted to this sort of stuff like flies to honey.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#5bob15xPosted 10/8/2013 7:16:04 AM
Muryo posted...
khardbored posted...

Any article where Sony, Nintendo, steam, etc are planning the same thing with their 8 gen systems or services?

sony atually said they were in the reveal at least on the games front. and yes, of course they will have targeted ads, Advertising gives these companies 100s of millions. Do you think shareholders would be pleased if they said, nah, gamers don't want that?

but something people always ignore, the fact you can opt out and say no. Everyone just sees the targeted ads and assumes its forced when its not.

If you do not want your data collected and used in targeted ads, say no, that simple.

Some people like to know what games, movies or music they may like but never heard of before based on what their preferences are.

I doubt there is anyone here that has not picked up a new band, author or game based on someone elses recommendation. that is what targeted ads are.
#6Muryo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 7:18:47 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Yeah, they keep lying to people's face and expect them to trust MS putting a camera in their home.

It's ridiculous.

Also, TC, prepare to get flamed by butthurt fanboys and the local MS shills, they're attracted to this sort of stuff like flies to honey.

Wait wait, they're going to attack me INSTEAD of calling out MS for once again telling everyone that they can't be trusted?
---
#7SoulTrapperPosted 10/8/2013 7:23:45 AM
Muryo posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

It's ridiculous.

Wait wait, they're going to attack me INSTEAD of calling out MS for once again telling everyone that they can't be trusted?

I think it's some form of Stockholm syndrome.
---
#8NerdimusPrimePosted 10/8/2013 7:27:19 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Muryo posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

It's ridiculous.

I think it's some form of Stockholm syndrome.

If you can't discredit the message, discredit the messenger.
---
I am a gamer. I play Chess, Checkers, Risk, Scrabble, Poker, Magic, Pool, Horseshoes, DnD, Dominos, and Tic-Tac-Toe, just for starters. I also like video games.
#9DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/8/2013 7:35:48 AM
ITT: Sony fanboys desperately try to spin the OPTION of allowing targeted ads for those who don't want to look at random commercials.

Excellent...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#10SoulTrapperPosted 10/8/2013 7:39:18 AM
NerdimusPrime posted...

If you can't discredit the message, discredit the messenger.

I see what you mean

DesperateMonkey posted...
ITT: Sony fanboys desperately try to spin the OPTION of allowing targeted ads for those who don't want to look at random commercials.

Excellent...

---