How many games does $1,000,000 get you?

#11Ch3wyPosted 10/8/2013 1:48:11 PM
Bump.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#12Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/8/2013 1:50:01 PM
Webmaster4531 posted...
Maybe companies should stop wasting their money on advertising.

I was just discussing this with a buddy of mine when I saw a GTA commercial 2 days ago. They made 1 billion in what? 3 days? Did they really need to advertise it last night? Are there actually people still out there that would purchase it if only they knew it existed?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#13DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 1:52:56 PM
Of course... just because GTA is famous does not mean people keep thinking about it or are aware of it all the time or when the new one is out.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#14Webmaster4531Posted 10/8/2013 1:56:46 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Still, people buy consoles for the triple A titles. I can play most indie games on my Mac Airbook...

I think anyone who thinks advertising is wasted money has no idea what they are talking about. If you don't spend the money on advertising, you may as well not have spent much on the game to begin with. Sales is mostly determined by how much you can show off your great game to the masses. You can make an amazing game but its gonna sell like crap if you are depending on the small hardcore base that goes to the forums or metacritics to decide.

I didn't say don't spend their money on advertising at all. If what the TC is really true then why does advertising need the exact budget of the game? If the new Tomb Raider would have spent less on it's advertising budget it probably would have been considered a success instead of a failure.
---
Ad Hominem.
#15DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 1:58:21 PM
Um... I doubt it. Advertising matters a lot. If they didn't spend that much on advertising, it would have just sold even less.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#16Webmaster4531Posted 10/8/2013 2:01:33 PM
Um... I doubt it. Advertising matters a lot. If they didn't spend that much on advertising, it would have just sold even less.

Really? There's nothing awe inspiring or boob tastic about the bland Tomb Raider is coming soon commercials for it. The controversy about her seemingly nearly getting raped and killed probably did much more.
---
Ad Hominem.
#17DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 2:03:00 PM
So what your saying is that they didn't spend enough or they hired the wrong people?
---
#18skiguy1981Posted 10/8/2013 2:04:14 PM

True but not 100% they need to find the right mix and find out how much they need to spend to get a customer
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#19Webmaster4531Posted 10/8/2013 2:04:47 PM
So what your saying is that they didn't spend enough or they hired the wrong people?

Too many cooks spoil the broth. I really feel that throwing money at problem isn't the best solution.
---
Ad Hominem.
#20SunDevil77Posted 10/8/2013 2:09:44 PM
Webmaster4531 posted...
Still, people buy consoles for the triple A titles. I can play most indie games on my Mac Airbook...

I think anyone who thinks advertising is wasted money has no idea what they are talking about. If you don't spend the money on advertising, you may as well not have spent much on the game to begin with. Sales is mostly determined by how much you can show off your great game to the masses. You can make an amazing game but its gonna sell like crap if you are depending on the small hardcore base that goes to the forums or metacritics to decide.

I didn't say don't spend their money on advertising at all. If what the TC is really true then why does advertising need the exact budget of the game? If the new Tomb Raider would have spent less on it's advertising budget it probably would have been considered a success instead of a failure.

Tomb Raider is still a huge success for an essentially dead franchise. Square's expectations are just pants.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539