so for the day one patch

#11snowboard340Posted 10/10/2013 7:09:30 PM
Not patching via connection to internet would leave the xbox vulnerable to hacking. Someone could probably easily make a disc that acts as an update disc which exploits vulnerabilities in the preliminary OS installed on it.
#12True_FoeHammerPosted 10/10/2013 8:03:30 PM
khardbored posted...
stekim40 posted...
of course its possible.. They would easily add the patch to the system but even if they didn't want to do that, they could put the patch on a dvd very simply, a blank dvd would cost them next to nothing. pennies even

They just won't do it, so people (like 3 of my friends) who have no home internet at all, can't buy an Xbone even if they wanted one.

Epic job Microsoft. *golfclap*

So your three friends can't use your internet? A friends internet? An internet cafe? A library? A relatives internet?

The point is that this problem shouldn't exist in the first place. We should be good to go after plugging everything in. But no... Microsoft wants to make sure that everybody has an internet connection they could exploit.
#13Madness2012Posted 10/10/2013 10:29:16 PM
Most people that get the Xbox, or PS4 will have internet....
#14FoppePosted 10/10/2013 10:52:47 PM
A simple solution is to wait until either a disc is shipped with the update, or waiting to buy a system until Microsoft starts shipping them with a already updated OS.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#15METALINGUS5150Posted 10/10/2013 11:24:55 PM
It wouldn't be hard to put the patch on a disc but it would cost money that microsoft probably doesn't want to spend and won't spend.
No internet=Xbox One a brick.
#16HellsControllerPosted 10/10/2013 11:39:22 PM
Madness2012 posted...
Most people that get the Xbox, or PS4 will have internet....

IIRC, only half of all 360s connected to the internet ever. Half of something isn't most of something. It's half.
Could be wrong on the numbers though.
---
I spilled Spot Remover on my dog....Now he's gone
#17FoppePosted 10/10/2013 11:49:09 PM
METALINGUS5150 posted...
It wouldn't be hard to put the patch on a disc but it would cost money that microsoft probably doesn't want to spend and won't spend.

It would be hard if they finish the update after they shipped the consoles.
Microsoft have shipped OS Service Packs on discs in the past, so I don't think they wont do it now because they are "cheap".
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#18Spetsnaz420Posted 10/11/2013 4:45:53 AM
Foppe posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...

Microsoft have shipped OS Service Packs on discs in the past, so I don't think they wont do it now because they are "cheap".

No. They won't do it because they would get hacked to hell and back if they allowed firmware updates via USB or burnt disc. Thats why 360 amd PS3 were so easy to hack.

Personally I want my consoles to be as hack proof as possible. Places like gamestop should allow patching in store and MS should support it.
---
I don't conform to social convention
#19_Elite_Bushido_Posted 10/11/2013 4:48:29 AM
stekim40 posted...
of course its possible.. They would easily add the patch to the system but even if they didn't want to do that, they could put the patch on a dvd very simply, a blank dvd would cost them next to nothing. pennies even

They just won't do it, so people (like 3 of my friends) who have no home internet at all, can't buy an Xbone even if they wanted one.

Epic job Microsoft. *golfclap*

Fail on your part for not knowing when they went into production
(inb4failonMSpartforhavingdrmtobeginwith)
---
$ony Ponie$ and trolls- http://tinyurl.com/lalpn7d
#20FoppePosted 10/11/2013 4:59:39 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Foppe posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...

No. They won't do it because they would get hacked to hell and back if they allowed firmware updates via USB or burnt disc. Thats why 360 amd PS3 were so easy to hack.

Personally I want my consoles to be as hack proof as possible. Places like gamestop should allow patching in store and MS should support it.

No, just no...
Do you know how people hack their 360's?
They reflash the firmware in the DVD reader.
As in removing it from the console, hooking it up to a SATA cable to their PC and run a program that replace it with another firmware.
It got nothing to do with Microsoft allowing the system to install software updates from USB/burned discs.
If it was possible to hack the system with the updates, then we would already have a way to install custom firmware on every console and not only on consoles that allowed you to jtag crack them,
---