What's the big deal about MS collecting kinect info on you for ads?

#11vVHiTesNaKePosted 10/10/2013 6:02:11 PM
FriedLemon posted...
I'm going to lay down some facts about what MS has done and afterwards you can tell me if it's still a big deal or not.

MS was charging for XBL while all other online gaming services were free.

MS then adds advertisement on the XBL dashboard despite still charging their users a
subscription fee.

MS wanted to introduce DRM policies which completely destroys the rights of the consumer.

MS now wants to collect your personal data which is data that can be sold to advertising agencies.

You got one thing right, MS only cares about making more money, to the point where they will destroy any and all rights of the consumer. They only rescinded their policies when they saw the preorder numbers of the X1, not when everyone and their dog was outraged over it.

Make no mistake, this is a slippery slope with MS. The more you let them get away with the more BS they will try to pull on you.

Makes you think....what other things Microsoft has up its sleeves?

Even little things like Microsoft points instead of real money was meant to screw us over...most people just don't realize it or brush it off too quickly defending everything they do.

Its about time people catch on.
#12Dev0311Posted 10/10/2013 6:04:30 PM
khardbored posted...
Everyone does it. But it's cool to hate on MS, c'mon man. Get with it.

Oh you already have a fixed surveillance camera in your bedroom? Cool, where'd you buy it?
#13ZZZGundamPosted 10/10/2013 7:18:08 PM
*Reads first line*: Uhuh.

*After that*: My brain cells died.
#14DivineMagusPosted 10/10/2013 7:22:48 PM
So if I have *** in my living room with my girl, I will see p0rn ads?
#15MrImpatient35Posted 10/10/2013 7:29:06 PM
khardbored posted...
Everyone does it. But it's cool to hate on MS, c'mon man. Get with it.

lol funny, but true. It's the cool thing to do at this point.
---
33 things to know about X1: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61886/features/the-xbox-one-33-things-you-need-to-know/
#16XBOXvsPCPosted 10/10/2013 7:33:11 PM
DivineMagus posted...
So if I have *** in my living room with my girl, I will see p0rn ads?

That's the idea.
If you use the Kinect to watch you playing PS4 you will see pony ads.
---
"Now you're talking to me baby! That I like! Keep it coming!" - Tony Montana
#17AgreeduponPosted 10/11/2013 3:41:15 AM
Maybe if Microsoft went with the Amazon business model and provided a discounted Xbox One with advertisements and a full price one without advertisements.

I think it would attract more buyers.
---
Input Signature Here:
#18SoulTrapperPosted 10/11/2013 3:48:59 AM
FriedLemon posted...
I'm going to lay down some facts about what MS has done and afterwards you can tell me if it's still a big deal or not.

MS was charging for XBL while all other online gaming services were free.

MS then adds advertisement on the XBL dashboard despite still charging their users a
subscription fee.

MS wanted to introduce DRM policies which completely destroys the rights of the consumer.

MS now wants to collect your personal data which is data that can be sold to advertising agencies.

You got one thing right, MS only cares about making more money, to the point where they will destroy any and all rights of the consumer. They only rescinded their policies when they saw the preorder numbers of the X1, not when everyone and their dog was outraged over it.

Make no mistake, this is a slippery slope with MS. The more you let them get away with the more BS they will try to pull on you.

This pretty much sums it up.

Look at this on it's own, it's pretty awful.
Look at all that's happened to get to this point and it's much worse.

Xbox went from being a video game console to an advertising box in just 3 consoles.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#19Gamer4e4Posted 10/11/2013 3:57:09 AM
Pokerkid777 posted...
It's only here to help, not hurt.

It's only here to help?

SERIOUSLY???

words fail me... no amount of common sense or logic will get through to such blinkered and obsessed fanboys.

I despair for the future when theres so many people with your attitude who are happy to throw any privacy out of the window and bow down to whatever crap companies like MS and others pull.
#20catzrul2002Posted 10/11/2013 5:09:51 AM
bob15x posted...
Gamerz_Fantasy posted...
its not enough bashing xbone. they already make a ton of $ off their advertisements already. They just took it to the next level. Anyone with half a brain would not support this. its not about being a fanboy or hating. If sony did the same thing people would be hating them too

but you have half a brain, if you had a whole brain you would realize you can opt out of it. That is called CHOICE.

so what is the problem?

The problem will likely be the Terms and Conditions, how do we opt out? Or the better question is, how do we opt IN?

My guess is through the Xbox Live Gold membership itself, or hell just buying the console automatically opts you in.

Plus I ******* HATE ads. That's why I use adblock on the internet.
---
Fingers crossed for Sony to enable PSN name change!!