YR: A year later microsoft reimplements its DRM policies.

#11EnclavePosted 10/11/2013 3:03:30 AM
CapwnD posted...
Crazyman93 posted...
Laugh my ass off since I knew they're perfectly able to change it back since they changed it so quickly in the first place.
I won't touch XB1.

Like I said... too young to even know what a root kit is.

You bring up the root kit scandal why exactly? Suggesting that Sony will do it again? No, they won't. It was illegal and cost them a lot of money from being sued and dealing with the recalls.

Totally different scenarios here.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#12Spetsnaz420Posted 10/11/2013 3:26:29 AM
CapwnD posted...
Crazyman93 posted...
Laugh my ass off since I knew they're perfectly able to change it back since they changed it so quickly in the first place.
I won't touch XB1.

So PS4 installs rootkits to your PC now? Interesting

I know exactly what you're talking about there but if Sonys otherdepartments that have nothing to do with Playstation are open for discussion the same applies to MS...and I'm sure you don want to open that can of worms. Or we could just talk about each companies gaming division which is probably far more relevant.
---
I don't conform to social convention
#13DeadLock25Posted 10/11/2013 3:30:18 AM
Enclave posted...
CapwnD posted...
Crazyman93 posted...
I won't touch XB1.

You bring up the root kit scandal why exactly? Suggesting that Sony will do it again? No, they won't. It was illegal and cost them a lot of money from being sued and dealing with the recalls.

Totally different scenarios here.

And you dont know what bait and switch is. Apparently bricking the consoles of everyone who has poor internet connection is legal right? Or are suggesting that those same people who cannot connect to XBL will be affected by patch that forces them to be online but requires a connection to be installed in the first place.

And then there is this, making this whole idiotic proposal/hypothetical scenario moot.
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/360400259437961222
---
GT: DeadLock25
#14Styrof0amPosted 10/11/2013 3:56:03 AM
*sigh*

I knew, I should've put more detail into the rootkit remark.

It was intended to show that any capitalistic entitiy will use dodgy practices to generate revenue or get an advantage. Right now Sony can't do anything wrong, whereas no matter what MS does, it's spun into something negative (and apparently also what they haven't done too, as this thread shows).

The fun part is that Sony has a history of dodgy practices too. MS openly announced it's DRM plans, whereas Sony slipped the rootkit onto computers w/o telling anyone. The same corporation waited a week, before telling about the infamous PSN hack in 2011, in which million of customers credit card info was compromised.

Sony used both OtherOS and B/C as selling points for PS3, only to remove them after the console was released, yet no one is questioning wether or not they'll do it again for the PS4, becausde right now the cool thing to yell out in the schoolyard is: LULZ XBONER!!11!! 180 ... which this thread pretty much sums up to.

My point is, you can't expect one corporation to come up with some [slang for feces] practices, and not the other. they all want you money and nothing else.
#15EnclavePosted 10/11/2013 6:36:07 AM
Styrof0am posted...
*sigh*

It was intended to show that any capitalistic entitiy will use dodgy practices to generate revenue or get an advantage. Right now Sony can't do anything wrong, whereas no matter what MS does, it's spun into something negative (and apparently also what they haven't done too, as this thread shows).

The fun part is that Sony has a history of dodgy practices too. MS openly announced it's DRM plans, whereas Sony slipped the rootkit onto computers w/o telling anyone. The same corporation waited a week, before telling about the infamous PSN hack in 2011, in which million of customers credit card info was compromised.

Sony used both OtherOS and B/C as selling points for PS3, only to remove them after the console was released, yet no one is questioning wether or not they'll do it again for the PS4, becausde right now the cool thing to yell out in the schoolyard is: LULZ XBONER!!11!! 180 ... which this thread pretty much sums up to.

My point is, you can't expect one corporation to come up with some [slang for feces] practices, and not the other. they all want you money and nothing else.

No, your rootkit example was just a piss poor example to use.

The removal of OtherOS was regrettable and pissed me off for certain. However it was nothing along the lines of Microsofts DRM, not even comparable in douchbaggery. Regarding the loss of backwards compatibility, systems that originally had backwards compatibility retained it, it was only new systems that lacked it so they didn't actually take anything away from people who bought a BC capable PS3.

I think your problem is that in order to try to justify Microsoft you're trying to just stab at anything Sony has done that's at all bad. Thing is? The only thing they've done that's as douchbaggy as the DRM was their rootkit and as I mentioned there's very real reasons why we can be quite certain Sony will never attempt that again. The same doesn't apply to Microsofts Xbone DRM.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#16Hi CPosted 10/11/2013 6:49:34 AM
Second_Hokage posted...
What do you do?

Lay in the bed you made.
---
You'll be my John G.
#17_OujiDoza_Posted 10/11/2013 6:56:00 AM
Crazyman93 posted...
I won't touch XB1.

And yet here you are....
---
You can't stop me, you can only hope to mod me.
#18tmtyfPosted 10/11/2013 7:08:34 AM
Enclave posted...
Styrof0am posted...
*sigh*

The removal of OtherOS was regrettable and pissed me off for certain. However it was nothing along the lines of Microsofts DRM, not even comparable in douchbaggery. Regarding the loss of backwards compatibility, systems that originally had backwards compatibility retained it, it was only new systems that lacked it so they didn't actually take anything away from people who bought a BC capable PS3.

I think your problem is that in order to try to justify Microsoft you're trying to just stab at anything Sony has done that's at all bad. Thing is? The only thing they've done that's as douchbaggy as the DRM was their rootkit and as I mentioned there's very real reasons why we can be quite certain Sony will never attempt that again. The same doesn't apply to Microsofts Xbone DRM.

there was nothing wrong with microsoft's drm, people are just stuck in the present instead of the future.
---
"You are just a puppet... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain..." -Sephiroth
#19EnclavePosted 10/11/2013 7:20:41 AM
tmtyf posted...
Enclave posted...
Styrof0am posted...
*sigh*

there was nothing wrong with microsoft's drm, people are just stuck in the present instead of the future.

I'm sorry, I'll never agree with a future that means I lack ownership rights of products I buy and that every product I buy has a built in expiry date at which point it becomes worthless. I don't like the idea of videogames that expire. What if I want to play a game 20 years from now but their servers are down? Just unacceptable and anybody who is fine with that is pathetic in my books. Videogames are a part of our history, if we start building them in a way that will lead to them becoming completely gone just a few years down the line? Well, that's not a good thing for anybody except the content producers.

Imagine if Leonardo Da Vinci had used a special kind of paint that after 15 years dissolved away. Imagine the loss to culture and history that would have caused.
---
#20ejay8320Posted 10/11/2013 7:21:34 AM
@ Enclave

In reference to this:

To be fair the removal of the Other OS was to protect their system from being hacked. Even if the hack was for personal use and not to play games for free, it would be eventually used by another as method to do so.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/29/linux-support-dropped-from-ps3-firmware-3-21/

As for the removal of the Backwards compatibility, it was the best way to really make the system cheaper(it essentially had a PS2 built in). Everyone asked for a Cheaper PS3, they got it.