Any chance Microsoft can create an opt-in system to do things the old way?

#1Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/11/2013 5:45:43 AM
I would very much like to opt into the old system so I can use disc based installs and continue to get all the benefits of digital ownership, namely the instant switching. Do you think it's possible for Microsoft to create such a system and if so do you think they ever will? That way both types of gamers would continue to enjoy games the way they want to.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#2gray_fox_00Posted 10/11/2013 6:48:27 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure why they had to do all or nothing.

Why not just have an option to turn the 24 hour check in on and enable all the install and family share options. For people that didn't want to do the DRM 24 hour check in, they can just ignore it and have those functions disabled.

Just make it so only you can only share wih consoles that have opted in to the 24 check system as well.

It just doesn't seem like it would've been that hard to please both sides.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
#3Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 6:56:03 AM
gray_fox_00 posted...
Yeah, I'm not sure why they had to do all or nothing.

Why not just have an option to turn the 24 hour check in on and enable all the install and family share options. For people that didn't want to do the DRM 24 hour check in, they can just ignore it and have those functions disabled.

Just make it so only you can only share wih consoles that have opted in to the 24 check system as well.

It just doesn't seem like it would've been that hard to please both sides.

The only possible problem I can think of is if there is an exploit found with the system it could be used against the TOS but still, it shouldn't be too hard for a software company to figure out right?
---
#4DamnEvilDogPosted 10/11/2013 7:40:28 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I would very much like to opt into the old system so I can use disc based installs and continue to get all the benefits of digital ownership, namely the instant switching. Do you think it's possible for Microsoft to create such a system and if so do you think they ever will? That way both types of gamers would continue to enjoy games the way they want to.

Ya know baring anything else that may crop up as an issue, that is a damn amazing thought.

I would opt-in cause a daily check-in is nothing to me, great idea TC ^^
#5CasualGamersPosted 10/11/2013 7:42:34 AM
It isn't as simple as flipping on a switch.
#6An_EthiopianPosted 10/11/2013 7:59:26 AM
CasualGamers posted...
It isn't as simple as flipping on a switch.

XD
---
The statement below me is true.
The statement above me is false.
#7AzaneAzerPosted 10/11/2013 8:13:47 AM
Lol
Really? just have a friend come over every 24 hours and turn off your xbox on you if your internet goes out.
#8assassin10133Posted 10/11/2013 8:22:24 AM
Actually I'm pretty sure they will be bringing this option in in the future, at least that's what I get when MS said they'll be looking to bring back the digital features they originally announced but will still keep the option of sticking with physical media. So have a little bit of patience, sounds like it's coming.
#9Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 8:29:50 AM
assassin10133 posted...
Actually I'm pretty sure they will be bringing this option in in the future, at least that's what I get when MS said they'll be looking to bring back the digital features they originally announced but will still keep the option of sticking with physical media. So have a little bit of patience, sounds like it's coming.

The thing that kills digital for me currently is that download speeds just aren't there, unless you're running Google Fiber but that's a small minority of the country, which means waiting a long time for a 15-30+gb download or just buying the physical copy. The old system gave you the best of both worlds as a disc install would've been faster for me and given me the benefit of the digital media.

In short, I hope you're right.
---
#10assassin10133Posted 10/11/2013 9:05:38 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
assassin10133 posted...

The thing that kills digital for me currently is that download speeds just aren't there, unless you're running Google Fiber but that's a small minority of the country, which means waiting a long time for a 15-30+gb download or just buying the physical copy. The old system gave you the best of both worlds as a disc install would've been faster for me and given me the benefit of the digital media.

In short, I hope you're right.

Ok ya I see what you mean, not sure if they'll give the option to treat physical as "digital" like that too. Although, with the play as you download feature, you won't have to wait for the entire game to download before playing which will cut down the wait time a lot. But ya, downloading a 15-30gb game would take a while, and I've hit 1MB/s download speeds with my internet.