Are Flagship Characters Dead?

#1JohnHalo343Posted 10/12/2013 12:39:35 AM
You know, like one figure or character that pretty much defines the console. Us Xbox fans have Master Chief *fist pumps for the Chief*, and Nintendo fans have the red baseball cap wearing plumber guy. I have no clue whom Playstation fans consider to be their flagship character, but that is besides the point.

These characters used to be THE reason to own a particular console. Now, the focus has shifted away from them in a sense as people and today's youth play games that rely more on customization. You are essentially phasing out any pre-made character and using characters that you have created.

It would seem that the days of flagship characters are numbered, as games become more advanced an personal. You don't need anybody to identify with a console when you can simply create your own.

I dunno. It is late and I am brainstorming. What do you guys think?
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#2bartz90Posted 10/12/2013 1:01:13 AM
This was already phasing out fast in the PS2 generation. By this last gen I would say it didn't matter near at all anymore. Those days are long over, but they were cool.

It's not like you won't still see Mario, Chief, Nathan Drake or a Helghast or whatever up in ads and pictures and things but yeah they haven't had that kind of strong brand association in a long time now. Mario more than any other now is like that and Chief maybe second but still not like in the old days.
---
-
#3barrysshoesPosted 10/12/2013 1:37:06 AM
What would everyone consider to be Sony's flagship character? I honestly can't think of one.
#4JohnHalo343(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 1:51:55 AM
barrysshoes posted...
What would everyone consider to be Sony's flagship character? I honestly can't think of one.

Me neither.

Thankfully the Xbox One board is home to many resident Sony experts and they should be chiming in at any time now...
---
Official Voice of the Xbox One Community
#5bartz90Posted 10/12/2013 2:03:18 AM(edited)
barrysshoes posted...

It's usually Naughty Dogs franchise for the generation.

PS1: Crash, Spyro as a side, also saw Snake and Cloud as occasionals

PS2: Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper as side choices, sometimes Kratos

PS3: I see it as Nathan Drake but many others see it as Kratos, another popular choice is Sackboy or the Helghast, less high up would be Ratchet and Clank

When PSP released one it's flagship games early on (but not at release) was Daxter, when Vita released one was Uncharted. Sort of speaks to why the ND characters are often still considered mascots.
---
-
#6barrysshoesPosted 10/12/2013 4:31:43 AM
bartz90 posted...
barrysshoes posted...

PS2: Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper as side choices, sometimes Kratos

PS3: I see it as Nathan Drake but many others see it as Kratos, another popular choice is Sackboy or the Helghast, less high up would be Ratchet and Clank

When PSP released one it's flagship games early on (but not at release) was Daxter, when Vita released one was Uncharted. Sort of speaks to why the ND characters are often still considered mascots.

Ahh, yes...Kratos. That would have to be my pick.
#7Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/12/2013 4:51:50 AM
Well Xbox is good there because Spartans never die. They just go missing in action.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#8CRASS5000Posted 10/12/2013 6:11:38 AM
barrysshoes posted...
bartz90 posted...
barrysshoes posted...

Ahh, yes...Kratos. That would have to be my pick.

I've never liked the idea of changing the flagship character, which is probably why I've always associated Crash as PlayStation's, even if it isn't an exclusive anymore.

I would guess most people's preference is based on when they got into gaming.
---
GT. CRASS RAT GT2. LBC iGoNegative
*Official Topic Killer*
#9VobeDarkElfPosted 10/12/2013 6:19:54 AM
Lol, believe it or not, Crash Bandicoot.

He was created for the express purpose of being Sony's cartoony mascot character. Where Sega had Sonic, and Nintendo had Mario, the Playstation never had one. Unfortunately, crash was a lame character with bad games, so they dropped him quickly.

The Playstation mascot could have easily been Lara Croft, if only Sony had bought out the tomb raider series.

Today you can name lots of iconic Playstation characters, but none of them are truely a mascot. They need to be owned by the console manufacturer and marketed along with it. All of the good playstation games and characters have always come out of third parties.
#10JusticeSwordPosted 10/12/2013 6:23:19 AM
VobeDarkElf posted...
Lol, believe it or not, Crash Bandicoot.

He was created for the express purpose of being Sony's cartoony mascot character. Where Sega had Sonic, and Nintendo had Mario, the Playstation never had one. Unfortunately, crash was a lame character with bad games, so they dropped him quickly.

The Playstation mascot could have easily been Lara Croft, if only Sony had bought out the tomb raider series.

Today you can name lots of iconic Playstation characters, but none of them are truely a mascot. They need to be owned by the console manufacturer and marketed along with it. All of the good playstation games and characters have always come out of third parties.

Maybe in your opinion, a lot of people loved the crash games.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please