xbox one hijacking could be your worst nightmare

#21ChargrilledPosted 10/12/2013 9:56:15 PM
yanksfan4247 posted...
Wow that article is so wrong.

---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#22SolisPosted 10/12/2013 10:54:58 PM
The system can filter voice input from its the system's audio output. This is how the original Kinect can still be used for voice input even when it resides closer to speakers (which are transmitting game audio) that it is to the person speaking. The article makes a completely unsubstantiated and baseless connection between a third party audio source issuing commands and the system itself having audio running through it.

Really now, if this was actually a problem, why wouldn't it already affect the tens of millions of current Kinect owners? Hell, why don't game CHARACTERS trigger off Kinect voice commands if this were the case? There are many cases where game dialog shares the same words as commands that players can use.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#23FoppePosted 10/12/2013 11:01:45 PM
Solis posted...
The system can filter voice input from its the system's audio output. This is how the original Kinect can still be used for voice input even when it resides closer to speakers (which are transmitting game audio) that it is to the person speaking. The article makes a completely unsubstantiated and baseless connection between a third party audio source issuing commands and the system itself having audio running through it.

Really now, if this was actually a problem, why wouldn't it already affect the tens of millions of current Kinect owners? Hell, why don't game CHARACTERS trigger off Kinect voice commands if this were the case? There are many cases where game dialog shares the same words as commands that players can use.

Actually...
When Microsoft streamed their Xbox One conference over Live, it caused problems for people that had their Kinects connected to their systems.
The Kinect heard when the Microsoft guy said Kinect and waited for a command, which would freeze the stream.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal

That said, I'm pretty sure that Kinect 2.0 is too advanced to this.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#24Mistere ManPosted 10/13/2013 3:39:34 AM
Something even scarier than this would be last 5 seconds of the Super Bowl your kids come in and say "I wanna watch cartoons" and it changes!

Also when you and you family are arguing about what to watch you won't be able to hog the remote as they can just say what they want and it will go there.
---
Water+Fall=Radiation.
#25epicfailtryhardPosted 10/13/2013 4:23:48 AM
Foppe posted...
chrish909 posted...
Your worst nightmare is xbox turning off while playing it?

I wish I could live in a world where my worst nightmare was my game system being turned off while I dominated online.

mmm...that would be nice.
---
"if you consider a troll to be someone who is expressing their opinion and isn't rattled by yours being different...welcome home.~me
#26TheOmacronPosted 10/13/2013 5:10:05 AM
Solis posted...

This problem is even more fundamental than that. Who wants to hear all their teammates issuing voice commands during a multiplayer match? The fact is that multiplayer games will rarely use voice commands for this reason which means that all game functions for those games will have to be perfectly executable by using the controller.

Since many game will now have an online component, the primary use of Kinect in core games, voice commands, will see little use. Devs won't include a feature that requires a voice commands but can't be done with a press of a button for any game that can be played online.
#27mike468Posted 10/13/2013 7:46:35 AM
MrImpatient35 posted...
DarkJaydragon posted...
But if they say it, wouldn't it shut their own xbox down too? And isn't it tailored to your own voice?

I thought it was too.

From what i read, yes it is. It only recognizes the user voice. I'm sure it also only works in conjunction with the Kinect tracking (to pick up where audio direction is coming from). i don't think it would be able to pick up on someone saying it over the tv or stereo speakers.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#28twiztidfreak6t9Posted 10/13/2013 7:53:19 AM
1:You'll be using a headset, unless you're one of those ignorant ass's that just HAS TO have Kinect as the chat device.

2:It's tailored to YOUR voice, no one else's, so that no one can cause it to shut down.
---
ASUS M51AC // Intel Core i7-4770 // 16 GB DDR3 RAM // 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive // EVGA 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
#29SupaflyGibsonPosted 10/17/2013 6:51:57 PM
rusty12000 posted...
Even if by some chance hell freezes over and i end up buying a Xbox one, the kinect would never be connected and would most likely go directly into the garbage,

Why are you on this board?
---
gt: For Spartaa