What Do Developers Have Against Day/Night cycles and Individual NPC's?

#1ill-thoughtsPosted 10/12/2013 10:50:24 AM
i really enjoy games like Skyrim, Deus Ex, Fable (not so much these days)....you know, games that have constantly evolving environments, day cycles and invidual NPC's that actually Matter within the environments....and from what i understand, Other people enjoy these aspects as well.....so if this is the case, why does it seem Developers shy away from these concepts so much???

i look at a game like Dishonored, which would have been PERFECT as an open environment game where you could travel between regions and interact with the world, each person you murder being dead when you return....and the sky being lighter or darker depending on what time you got there. why wasnt this idea pushed to its limits as it could have been???

i look at Thief which is set to be released for Xbox One....and again, im reading there will be no day/night cycle and no individual NPC's. why???? why would you release a Linear game on next gen when it doesnt take Much just to put out a game with these elements??? Skyrim is HUGE in size but still manages to have these elements in full spade....so why not just go for it?

im not saying all games NEED this feature.....but if its something that will make the game more realistic and help immerse people into the world youv created....why not just go for it?? even Metal Gear Solid is putting a day cycle into its game.
#2grampamurkedPosted 10/12/2013 11:02:11 AM
Thief is not an exclusive.

As to your question I imagine there are several factors.
One being budget.
Two being some games are story driven and an open world takes away from the story.
A perfect example is TLOU or any other highly scripted game.
Three could be because many games just wouldn't be enhanced by those things.

I like some open world games but to be honest most of the time I lose interest because so many of the tasks and npcs are just boring.
---
Xbox One on day one. Gonna miss my job, well not really.
#3ill-thoughts(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 11:26:31 AM
Storyline or Not, i find it UNACCEPTABLE for Thief to not have a day cycle. how amazing would it be to travel between environments at your own pace, interact with NPC's, maybe socialize with them to an extent and progress on your career of thievery and make your name Infamous in the game world??? Dishonored ANGERS me because i would literally Never stop playing that game if it was built around these mechanics.
#4FoppePosted 10/12/2013 11:42:34 AM
I still remember Nes and Atari 2600 games with day/night cycles.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#5ExempliGratiaPosted 10/12/2013 12:02:23 PM
grampamurked posted...
Thief is not an exclusive.

Why was this stated?

Also I think it is resources and sizes of teams that don't allow this to happen. Games like Skyrim are in development for a long period of time.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#6vgsrulePosted 10/12/2013 4:18:41 PM
You seem to be under the impression that this a just a choice. It does take a lot of additional effort to do a number of the things you mention.

It probably wouldn't be hard to implement day/night just in the sense of it getting darker, but making it have an effect would require essentially doubling the content of NPC dialogue and such, whatever will change.

Creating unique NPCs would either require a lot of work, or a lack of NPCs.

Having things remain dead and the like requires the game to remember those things, and if they're ever relevant to the story, there would be a lot of variables.

Basically, they don't just not do it. They just feel it isn't really worth it when time can be better spent elsewhere.

Games that do these things usually use it as a selling point.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#7AlexanaxelaPosted 10/12/2013 4:25:01 PM
you guys remember harvest moon? Not only did it have day night cycling it had season cycling. That was 17 years ago. That's almost 25 years ago! Why are we going backwards?
---
There's no way I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that i understand.
You are appreciated.
#8SunDevil77Posted 10/12/2013 4:34:23 PM
Alexanaxela posted...
you guys remember harvest moon? Not only did it have day night cycling it had season cycling. That was 17 years ago. That's almost 25 years ago! Why are we going backwards?

Not every game needs it.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#9vgsrulePosted 10/12/2013 4:41:26 PM
Alexanaxela posted...

Because it isn't essential.

Obviously, it's been possible for a while. But it isn't necessary for every game, so effort and time is not put in to do so.

If we just threw in every innovation into every game made from that point on, every game would take 10 years to make.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#10sworderPosted 10/12/2013 4:44:32 PM
Open world games get boring quick

Some people can do it right, but there is no need to saturate the market. I don't want every game to be an open world game