What Do Developers Have Against Day/Night cycles and Individual NPC's?

#11AlexPumaPosted 10/12/2013 6:06:57 PM
Yeah, lets throw day/night cycles, open worlds, and unique NPCs into Halo, Call of Duty, Mario, Sonic, Tetris, and Angry Birds just for no reason other than we can.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#12snowboard340Posted 10/12/2013 6:27:05 PM
The lighting plays heavily into the design of levels. For example,in a game like Thief, having a day/night cycle could really make level design hard, and would probably make the overall experience worse. The game is all about attacking from the shadows, so the paths of levels have to be designed around that.
#13PStrifePosted 10/12/2013 6:37:26 PM
As gps have already made clear. The budget, design, time, skills of the team, etc. all factor into these things. You are fighting against all that when creating a game.
#14ill-thoughts(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 7:59:39 AM
I fail to see how difficult adding a day/night cycle is when so many games have done it. Far Cry 2 and 3 let you control what time of day the clock counted from....., even Godfather 2 had one. In a game like Thief, this would add an element of strategy in knowing when to strike and at what time of day youd be most visable.....and this is next gen were talking about, provider they can handle it.
#15ACx7Posted 10/13/2013 8:21:48 AM
ill-thoughts posted...
Storyline or Not, i find it UNACCEPTABLE for Thief to not have a day cycle. how amazing would it be to travel between environments at your own pace, interact with NPC's, maybe socialize with them to an extent and progress on your career of thievery and make your name Infamous in the game world??? Dishonored ANGERS me because i would literally Never stop playing that game if it was built around these mechanics.

That's not the point of Dishonored though... Dishonored is a stealth based story driven game. An open world would not work in it. What you're describing is usually reserved for RPGs and select action games. Games that are designed around these features. When you have a game like Thief or Dishonored the main features are always going to be the story and the stealth. It's difficult to design a game that can blend those things with an open world perfectly.

As much as I love Assassins Creed(It's my second favorite game series) I wish they would take the route that Arkane did with Dishonored. Focus more on the story and gameplay than the idea of having an open world. It's nice to always have something to do in that world. But the gameplay suffers. There's pretty much no need to be stealthy in AC any more.
#16Bikes-Posted 10/13/2013 8:26:55 AM
ill-thoughts posted...
I fail to see how difficult adding a day/night cycle is when so many games have done it. Far Cry 2 and 3 let you control what time of day the clock counted from....., even Godfather 2 had one. In a game like Thief, this would add an element of strategy in knowing when to strike and at what time of day youd be most visable.....and this is next gen were talking about, provider they can handle it.

Because it doesn't fit in every game, Dishonored IIRC ended each day with you going to sleep because you did everything in a day. Day and night cycle could mean you waste weeks if not months doing something that is the utmost urgency. Story telling being consistent>it being dark or light at random
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#17ILikesCheesePosted 10/13/2013 8:39:58 AM
Alexanaxela posted...
That was 17 years ago. That's almost 25 years ago!

Make up your mind. Which is it? 17 or 25?

Because 17 is NOT almost 25.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#18ILikesCheesePosted 10/13/2013 8:41:23 AM
Foppe posted...
I still remember Nes and Atari 2600 games with day/night cycles.

What Atari 2600 game had a day/night cycle?
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#19JusticeSwordPosted 10/13/2013 8:53:46 AM
The borderlands series even has day & night cycles, theres no point to them, but it doesn't mean its not a nice addition.

& games with only 200 or so npcs, why not make each one an individual, we should be past the time where we simply swap colour palletes on npcs.

As for enemies, there should be more of a variety between them these days, like a wolfpack in dragons dogma will have different sized hounds, some with different features,even the bandits are well varied, we shouldnt have to fight enemies that are clones (unless the story calls for it) in this day & age.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#202ndAtomiskPosted 10/13/2013 9:09:47 AM
Certain games take place at certain times for ambiance. In Thief, Garrett works at night. Simple as that. He's not going around exploring all day. He is a master at what he does. He's not going to make himself more vulnerable by trying to steal something during the day. Walking around in the day time isn't something he would do, so a day/night cycle wouldn't really make sense.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine