What Do Developers Have Against Day/Night cycles and Individual NPC's?

#31XenoMechaPosted 10/13/2013 4:44:06 PM
17 years ago, that's almost 1000 years ago!
---
PSN: Eternius00
#32SolisPosted 10/13/2013 4:56:23 PM
ill-thoughts posted...
Storyline or Not, i find it UNACCEPTABLE for Thief to not have a day cycle. how amazing would it be to travel between environments at your own pace, interact with NPC's, maybe socialize with them to an extent and progress on your career of thievery and make your name Infamous in the game world??? Dishonored ANGERS me because i would literally Never stop playing that game if it was built around these mechanics.

Why in the world would you expect a game about a person that wants to remain unseen and works entirely at night to have a day/night? What possible advantage would there be to having to wait half the time for the sun to go down, and how would it enhance the experience at all? The entire point of games like that is that the nighttime backdrop is part of the game's identity, suddenly having 2/3rds of the experience where the world is baked in sunlight would just diminish that carefully crafted setting. What is your obsession with day/night cycles that you think every game needs to have them, regardless of whether it fits the gameplay or theme?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#33VamarPosted 10/13/2013 7:15:24 PM
Just wait for Dying Light; the entire premise of the game is based around day/night cycles.
#34AzaneAzerPosted 10/13/2013 7:40:15 PM
Because not every game is Skyrim.

The less Linear a game is, the less the story works.

Skyrim's story, and all of the elder scrolls really, Suck, they have great immersion overall and the world story is grand, but the actual game story? Forgettable, ignorable, boring, because they need it to be so wide open that you can go anywhere, do anything, see everything, and it still makes sense with the speedrun clear in 10 minutes.

More Choice means less Meat and Potatoes, look at a game like FF13 (Before you flame me) that was one of the most linear games released up until the last ~15% of the game, which went open ended.... There was almost no storyline for a few hours, when the game had been an interactive movie up to that point. Love or hate it (I personally enjoyed the story), the game lost it's tempo and flow once it branched out and went non-linear near the end, it's an entirely different type of game, and it's not even technical limitations, they could program the entire world of Skyrim, and still have a linear 30 hour story game in the middle on 1 disc, but the limitation comes from writing, FF6 was another good example, after you got the Air Ship in the 2nd half of FF6, there was 0 storyline and little to no direction, but the first half of the game was just as linear as FF13 was.

Sometimes, I want a rigid storyline that Ican just sit back and relax too, and sometimes, I want to become part of the story and interact, the latter has a long way to go before the technological or actual writing limitations can be as good as the first.

You can keep asking why, but Thief is a game series that isn't about individual storys, and the specific timing cycles means the game will live and breathe how the devs want, meaning they can control the setting and the environment of the game better.
#35Robtcee13Posted 10/13/2013 8:27:38 PM
I'm actually of the opinion that you shouldn't have a rigidly linear story or a purely open sandbox. When I think of some of the best games I've ever played, none of them have really fit all in one category or the other. Let's look at some examples.

A Link to the Past: Okay, it's basically a Zelda story, right? But, the thing is, the game does have clearly defined progression. You are supposed to go about things in a particular order. However, this is mixed in with story elements every once in awhile that you happen upon pre dark world. Once you get to the dark world, it makes sense that the story mostly vanishes, because you KNOW the rest of your mission. Nobody else is involved in it either. It's pretty decent.

System Shock 2: Pretty linear story, right? But, look at the levels themselves. They're huge, sometimes maze-like, and offer you a lot of freedom in how you actually reach your goal. The gameplay feels open, gives you a lot of options, but it's still a linear game.

Yet, look at games like The Last of Us that are well presented stories. The Last of Us is, however, a game that gives you little opportunity to really figure stuff out. You are either at the stealth part, the shooter part, or the 'find the hidden ladder' part. Each little thing you do is a token task to advance to the next part of the corridor. The Last of Us is not a game I would play twice, because once you've played it once you've seen all that the gameplay has to offer. There's nothing new to try. Yet, in those games I mentioned and plenty others (Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid, etc), you can actually go back and replay them in different ways. There are so many sequence breaks, the progression is just open enough that you CAN do things out of the order you followed last time.
These games aren't sandboxes, they're ultimately linear, but they benefit so much from affording the player the degree of freedom that they do. Granted, they don't play out like interactive movies, but... if you want an interactive movie, David Cage has released a ton of them for you to play. Those sort of fit their own niche.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#36FoppePosted 10/13/2013 10:37:33 PM
XenoMecha posted...

So Sweyn Forkbeard, the King of Denmark, was proclaimed King of all England 17 years ago?
Heavy.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#37AlexanaxelaPosted 10/14/2013 10:31:24 AM
XenoMecha posted...

this guy gets it
---
There's no way I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that i understand.
You are appreciated.
#38ILikesCheesePosted 10/14/2013 10:36:38 AM
loafy013 posted...
You need to go play Ultima 7, then despair that no game will ever do it as good as this one did. Open world? check Day/Night cycle? check NPC's had real lives that tied in with the game clock.

The Ultima series was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

:)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#39ILikesCheesePosted 10/14/2013 10:38:38 AM
Alexanaxela posted...
XenoMecha posted...

this guy gets it

I detect back-tracking.

;)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?