Backwards compatibility through emulation?

#1ISDcaptain01Posted 10/14/2013 5:28:01 PM
They did it on the 360 for original xbox games. Can they do the same on xbox one for 360 games?
---
lol at --> http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?=89123
#2PorungaPosted 10/14/2013 5:31:22 PM
If the hardware is compatible enough, they COULD. But they wont.
#3NewMoonShadowPosted 10/14/2013 5:33:04 PM(edited)
Porunga posted...
If the hardware is compatible enough, they COULD. But they wont.

They could no matter how different the hardware is... but they still won't.
#4shotgunheadshotPosted 10/14/2013 5:56:49 PM(edited)
Xbox360 should have been compatible with all Xbox games. I can't believe they didn't. Cheap asses. The emulation was stupid, you needed Internet and only a quarter of the Entire Xbox original games made would work anyway.
#5FusionCPosted 10/14/2013 5:57:33 PM
We wont see BC through emulation. But with them showing off Halo 4 running on a smartphone I can easily see them going the same route is Sony and streaming it from the cloud like sony is doing with Gaiki (or however its spelled)
---
For the Horde!!!!
#6crynryanPosted 10/14/2013 6:13:11 PM
Emulation would require hardware that's so much more powerful than what's being emulated. The OG Xbox's emulation was handled pretty badly (and probably by a very small team), so only a few games worked and some of the ones that did had bad problems.

It's probable that Nintendo gets by doing it because of using the same hardware, where Microsoft and Sony (PS2/3 emulate PS1 games) keep changing their hardware, which doesn't let them natively run the older games.
---
This feels warm. What is this feeling? Is it of warmth?
#7Special-EddPosted 10/14/2013 6:31:49 PM
FusionC posted...
We wont see BC through emulation. But with them showing off Halo 4 running on a smartphone I can easily see them going the same route is Sony and streaming it from the cloud like sony is doing with Gaiki (or however its spelled)

I think that is the plan but unfortunately streaming games is a poor substitute for any real BC.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One
#8SilentS89Posted 10/14/2013 7:13:49 PM
specialed1583 posted...
FusionC posted...

I think that is the plan but unfortunately streaming games is a poor substitute for any real BC.

A poor substitute is superior to Microsoft's "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"
#9SolisPosted 10/14/2013 7:35:57 PM
Pretty much an impossibility given how difficult it would be to emulate the Xbox 360's CPU with the Xbox One's. Even if it could be done, it would almost certainly be far too slow to be worthwhile.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#10SilentS89Posted 10/14/2013 9:12:44 PM
Solis posted...
Pretty much an impossibility given how difficult it would be to emulate the Xbox 360's CPU with the Xbox One's. Even if it could be done, it would almost certainly be far too slow to be worthwhile.

Nah, the impossibility stems for Microsoft's attitude towards backwards compatibility more than anything.