Next Mass Effect To Have No Connection To Commander Shepard

#1Dev445Posted 10/15/2013 9:56:56 AM
by Matt Helgeson

In a new interview, BioWare writer Mac Walters gives some insight into the direction the next Mass Effect.

Speaking to Complex at the New York Comic-Con, Walters put to rest speculation that the next installment of the series would be a prequel or focus on Commander Shepard's companions.

Walters said, "I can't get into details, but the idea is that we have agreed to tell a story that doesn't relate necessarily to any of the Shepard events at all, whatsoever. Beyond that, that's what we've been deciding for awhile. But throughout it all, one of the key things is that it has to be Mass Effect. It can't just feel like a spin-off. It has to feel like a Mass Effect game at its heart, at its core. Just without the Shepard character or the Shepard specific companions."

Source: Complex

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/15/next-mass-effect-to-have-no-connection-to-commander-shepard.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2BadLuckIncPosted 10/15/2013 10:23:49 AM
So don't call it Mass Effect....
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#3DionysusPosted 10/15/2013 10:45:20 AM
BadLuckInc posted...
That doesn't really make any sense. Mass Effect isn't a reference to Shepard.
#4BadLuckIncPosted 10/15/2013 10:49:33 AM
Dionysus posted...
BadLuckInc posted...
That doesn't really make any sense. Mass Effect isn't a reference to Shepard.

I guess your right. How the Legend of Zelda never really is her Legend.... it's Links!
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#5EllesarienPosted 10/15/2013 10:56:31 AM
Good news IMO.

So many possibilities within that universe they have created.

Something new and fresh makes sense to me.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#6WestSdeNleVrusPosted 10/15/2013 10:58:15 AM
Since ME2 we knew that the 3rd game would be Shepards last and the 4th wouldn't be about him/her....
#7LEGEND_725Posted 10/15/2013 11:15:38 AM
Lots of awesome things they can do but I'm not sure what kind of main plot they can make. Dragon Age has a beautiful world and lore but without a serious main plot (archdemon/blight) Dragon Age 2 felt like a spinoff with no focus (among other things.) Hopefully the new mass effect 4 won't feel aimless or lost without a main overhanging plot like the reapers.

They could go the route of Mass Effect 2 where 90% of the game felt like it was focusing on your companions instead of the main plot. It worked out well.
---
if you have accepted Xbox One as your lord and savior and are 100% proud of it put this in your sig
#8Dev445(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 4:35:00 AM
BadLuckInc posted...

They could call it Mass Defect XD. Either way I can't wait
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#9scoobydoobydontPosted 10/16/2013 4:51:14 AM
They couldn't manage continuity within the trilogy, so this is no surprise. Walters is the biggest hack in the industry, he makes David Cage's scripts look like f****** Shakespeare.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#10LICKWIDPAlNPosted 10/16/2013 4:55:40 AM
We knew this a while back.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain