Microsoft To Have Dedicated Servers For All Xbox One Multiplayer Games

#21Dev445(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 4:29:05 AM
JohnHalo343 posted...
Hold the phones, unless my eyes deceive me this is a Dev topic and there was no mention of the PS4 or anything negative said about the Xbox One...

What is your angle? *squints eyes vigilantly*

XD don't confuse me with that Troll. I obviously been here longer.
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#22ILikesCheesePosted 10/16/2013 4:44:42 AM
Isn't a dedicated server a double edged sword?

On the one hand it means much more refined online play with reduction of lag and elimination of many cheats via console moderations or game save editing. On the other side of the coin it means the game will have a limited online shelf life.

Use EA as an example. In many cases two years seems to be the limit they allow their game's online servers to be active. This year online play was terminated for all of their sports games from 2011 like Madden, NBA, Fifa,etc. (http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/content.php?448-EA-s-Annual-Server-Shut-Down-List)

Whereas a P2P game can be played online for the life of the console's online service, but all such games are susceptible to hacking. (Think Dark Souls and the ability of modders to plug in infinite stats into their characters at Level 1 via a GameSave hack.)

I honestly don't know which I prefer. I hated the hackers in Dark Souls but love the fact I can still boot up a game of 2010's Blur even though the developer went out of business nearly three years ago.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#23snowboard340Posted 10/16/2013 6:21:22 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
Isn't a dedicated server a double edged sword?

On the one hand it means much more refined online play with reduction of lag and elimination of many cheats via console moderations or game save editing. On the other side of the coin it means the game will have a limited online shelf life.

Use EA as an example. In many cases two years seems to be the limit they allow their game's online servers to be active. This year online play was terminated for all of their sports games from 2011 like Madden, NBA, Fifa,etc. (http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/content.php?448-EA-s-Annual-Server-Shut-Down-List)

Whereas a P2P game can be played online for the life of the console's online service, but all such games are susceptible to hacking. (Think Dark Souls and the ability of modders to plug in infinite stats into their characters at Level 1 via a GameSave hack.)

I honestly don't know which I prefer. I hated the hackers in Dark Souls but love the fact I can still boot up a game of 2010's Blur even though the developer went out of business nearly three years ago.

I like how you try to turn everything positive (in this case, extremely positive) into a negative. It gets pretty hilarious how much time you spend on this forum doing it.
#24LICKWIDPAlNPosted 10/16/2013 6:30:13 AM
METALINGUS5150 posted...
AwayFromHere posted...
Which just means Microsoft can choose to shut down a game's multiplayer.

Actually the way it works is that it will ramp up servers as they are needed. So if a game is completely dead, there will be no servers on, however if an influx of players start playing again, the servers are spun back up, since they're virtual and in the cloud they can do this in theory.

"Looks at all the EA online games."

Servers spun back up? Nah, will never happen. MS will lose money by doing that.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain
#25EllesarienPosted 10/16/2013 6:30:51 AM
This just gets better and better.

Now having dedicated servers is a BAD thing.....

Ponies just losing it now. Fully off the rails.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#26xHughJasxPosted 10/16/2013 6:31:31 AM
I posted this already but yes, it's nice.
---
If there wasn't people who blindly defended themselves when proven full of s*** time and again, there'd be no religious people.Or republicans. -jowephocks
#27BadLuckIncPosted 10/16/2013 6:34:08 AM
Xbox Live FTW~~ =)

http://news.xbox.com/~/media/Files/XboxOne_multiplayer_r7t3_ml%20(1).jpg
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#28xHughJasxPosted 10/16/2013 6:36:09 AM
I posted this already but yes, it's nice.
---
If there wasn't people who blindly defended themselves when proven full of s*** time and again, there'd be no religious people.Or republicans. -jowephocks
#29yanksfan4247Posted 10/16/2013 7:03:58 AM
LICKWIDPAlN posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...
AwayFromHere posted...

Actually the way it works is that it will ramp up servers as they are needed. So if a game is completely dead, there will be no servers on, however if an influx of players start playing again, the servers are spun back up, since they're virtual and in the cloud they can do this in theory.

EA's servers are physical. Microsoft's are physical then divided up virtually. So making another server for random dead online game doesn't hurt them at all. Doesn't cost them extra money at all.
---
Twitter: @macdamurderer
GT: Mac Da Murderer
#30METALINGUS5150Posted 10/16/2013 9:08:25 AM
LICKWIDPAlN posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...
AwayFromHere posted...

EA uses their own servers, so likely they will still be the same, shut off when EA wants to.
Some companies will have their own servers because they want control of when to shut them off.
Microsofts servers are virtual so it doesn't cost much to bring back servers.