My problem with how Microsoft is handling the advertisement of Kinect.

#1TMOGPosted 10/16/2013 12:36:19 PM
They're too busy showing how it's a good camera instead of showing the potential it has as a gaming accessory. They keep touting "It can see your heartbeat, it can identify players, it can see in the dark," but they're neglecting to show it in any capacity that would actually add something of value to a game.

Yes, Dead Rising 3 can alert zombies if you make a noise in your living room. But any microphone can do that, even one on a headset.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Microsoft's advertisement of the Kinect 2.0 is all style, no substance. They HAVE to know that a lot of gamers don't care about it and are skeptical that it will be worth the extra investment -- rightfully skeptical, I should add, after the current Kinect.

The Xbox One tours were a PERFECT chance for Microsoft to send out demo units for the general public to try and mess around with, but there are no Kinects in sight. They NEED to get these out there for people to actually try for themselves, and form their own opinions rather than read people on the Internet -- and let's be honest, whether you're reading something pro-Kinect or anti-Kinect, there's no guarantee that what you're reading isn't without bias.

Now that the DRM / mandatory camera issues are taken care of, the increased price as a result of the Kinect inclusion is the only justifiable thing holding a lot of people, myself included, from making the purchase. So why isn't Microsoft giving us a chance to form our own conclusions on the device and possibly dispel any doubts we have?

That's my problem with the Kinect: it's all promises.
---
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6870/tmog01.png
#2HelmesSeiferPosted 10/16/2013 12:44:59 PM
TMOG posted...

Yes, Dead Rising 3 can alert zombies if you make a noise in your living room. But any microphone can do that, even one on a headset.

Wow that seems like it would be rather annoying unless you have yourself locked up in solitary confinement.
---
Xbox live: CaptainMiles
PSN: AdmiralMiles
#3BadLuckIncPosted 10/16/2013 12:47:21 PM
HelmesSeifer posted...
TMOG posted...

Wow that seems like it would be rather annoying unless you have yourself locked up in solitary confinement.

OR just disconnect it / Turn it off =P
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#4Ri_IrPosted 10/16/2013 12:50:17 PM
Can you imagine if they made it so that you HAVE to look at the tv screen otherwise the advertisement pauses?
#5khardboredPosted 10/16/2013 12:50:36 PM
There are a lot of awesome possibilities with the Kinect and Microsoft is keeping quiet about them. I think it's more up to the developer to utilize these features than it is for Microsoft. MS cannot announce features unless they know the developers are going to implement them.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#6TMOG(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 12:55:43 PM
khardbored posted...
There are a lot of awesome possibilities with the Kinect and Microsoft is keeping quiet about them. I think it's more up to the developer to utilize these features than it is for Microsoft. MS cannot announce features unless they know the developers are going to implement them.

Yes, but they could at the very least show off some concepts, to give developers some ideas and inspiration. Show them a stealth game that knows where your eyes are looking, so it knows where to move enemies where they'll remain hidden. Show them a horror game that can detect your heartbeat, so it will know the right moment to throw a scare at you. Stuff like that.

Show how it CAN work, not how it DOES work.
---
#7BadLuckIncPosted 10/16/2013 12:57:29 PM
I think it will show how it CAN work once people actually own it and then developers can see feed back as to new ideas and what to implement with it.
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#8TMOG(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 1:00:50 PM(edited)
BadLuckInc posted...
I think it will show how it CAN work once people actually own it and then developers can see feed back as to new ideas and what to implement with it.

True, but the problem with that line of thought is that, as I said, there are a lot of people who don't care about the Kinect and don't want to use it at all. How many people say they're going to buy the Xbox One, but never take the Kinect out of the box or hook it up? Any post-launch feedback on the Kinect is going to be small in number, not nearly enough to justify the cost of extra development.

Then you consider that if you look at the Xbox One's launch lineup... how many games use the Kinect in an exciting or interesting way? Where's the "Kinect is so awesome!" feedback going to come from if there are no games that let you use it in a way that's particularly memorable?

They need to change peoples' minds on the Kinect BEFORE it launches, and they missed the perfect opportunity by not including it with the tour.
---
#9SavageTrooperPosted 10/16/2013 1:12:29 PM
TMOG posted...
BadLuckInc posted...

True, but the problem with that line of thought is that, as I said, there are a lot of people who don't care about the Kinect and don't want to use it at all. How many people say they're going to buy the Xbox One, but never take the Kinect out of the box or hook it up? Any post-launch feedback on the Kinect is going to be small in number, not nearly enough to justify the cost of extra development.

Then you consider that if you look at the Xbox One's launch lineup... how many games use the Kinect in an exciting or interesting way? Where's the "Kinect is so awesome!" feedback going to come from if there are no games that let you use it in a way that's particularly memorable?

They need to change peoples' minds on the Kinect BEFORE it launches, and they missed the perfect opportunity by not including it with the tour.

I have to agree with you. If you even look at the commercials MS has for the Xbox One, in regards to the Kinect, all it does is show how it's used for TV. I personally think MS has no faith in Kinect. If they did, there would of been at least 2-3 Kinect games at launch to show what it can do. Sadly, all you can do is whisper to zombies in DR3. What a crappy way to use Kinect.
#10Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/16/2013 1:19:43 PM
TMOG posted...
They need to change peoples' minds on the Kinect BEFORE it launches
nah, the early adopters are going to buy it regardless. they already have more pre-orders than the last xbox. so, they can wait until developers show more tried and true features. in the meantime before launch, we'll probably get a few more videos like the ones in the last few days, that show areas where the kinect is making your ui navigation much quicker than button presses on a controller.