Consoles are FAR more powerful than people realize (AMD's Revolution)

#1kududoodooPosted 10/16/2013 10:52:59 PM(edited)
What everyone doesn't realize is that PC graphics and hardware are about 90% bottlenecked!

The Directx API is HORRIBLY inefficient and creates such massive CPU overhead that the GPU is rendered to just 20% of the power it's capable of. Consoles on the other hand utilize their own API's and allow for "closer to the metal" programming that eliminates this bottleneck.

AMD is attempting to create Mantle, an API that eliminates this overhead for PC's and the future Steam OS (AKA Linux). With the hardware the systems have now (A Radeon 7970) + HSA + low level API. You're looking at a console that will rival PC's for years to come.

There is a reason why both Microsoft and Sony BOTH chose AMD's Jaguar APU.

AMD's Mantle API, will provide 18 TIMES the amount of draw calls than using Direct X. Essentially making hardware IMMENSELY more powerful just by utilizing more efficient programming and HSA.

As you guessed it, the Jaguar APU's will both utilize HSA, cutting down on overhead bottlenecks, streamlining porting between consoles and PC, which will drastically cut development times and costs, and essentially give users the same amount of processing power for half the prices, wattage, and temperatures.

We are on the verge of a MAJOR revolution in gaming. This generation will be truly spectacular as the industry will no longer be dragged down by inefficient architecture, squandered resources, and drastically different programming languages.

Lookup HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) if you have no clue what I'm talking about. Hardware have been needlessly gouging gamers with massive margins by Nvidia and Intel for years. There's a reason why they're not apart of the HSA Foundation.

HSA, APU's, and low level API's are the future of gaming and computers in general.
---
Gamertag--BAD RELIGION 80
PSN--Anti-Flag
#2FoppePosted 10/16/2013 10:55:17 PM
But... but... Kingdom Hearts 3 is made in DirectX!
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3kududoodoo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 11:12:30 PM
Foppe posted...

I highly doubt there will be a PC version. My point is that the console hardware has far more potential with these drastic improvements to software and programming.

I love Kingdom Hearts by the way :) Currently playing KH 1.5 HD Remix

On Xbox One it will be using the special DirectX API; on PS4 it will probably be using a mostly identical version to Mantle. Since they are both based off the same APU and share the same GCN architecture then they will both be using dramatically similar API's no matter what.

In the end, ALL gamers win, whether PC/Xbox One/PS4 :)
---
PSN--Anti-Flag
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/16/2013 11:17:50 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168671-xbox-one-will-not-support-amds-mantle-and-ps4-is-also-unlikely-is-mantle-doa

close the topic bro
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#5BuzzB2317Posted 10/16/2013 11:55:07 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168671-xbox-one-will-not-support-amds-mantle-and-ps4-is-also-unlikely-is-mantle-doa

close the topic bro

Aww I wanted to post that :-(
---
Exp: commodore 64, mega drive, Saturn, dreamcast, game gear ps, ps2, ps3, Xbox, Xbox 360, gameboy, ds, N64.
#6userfrigginamePosted 10/17/2013 12:21:10 AM
That's great and all, but whatever's happening behind the curtains is irrelevant to me when I'm playing games.
#7kududoodoo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 1:08:24 AM(edited)
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

close the topic bro

Not until Battlefied 4 comes out and trounces your overpriced $1000 Titan. :)

Hey troll read your own article LMFAO. Says right at the beginning bro.

Here's the troll's own article saying the Xbox One API isn't using Mantle (obviously, it's a custom SOC?).

At the top of the article, since this was so poorly researched, reads.

"Note: Feedback we’ve gotten from other sources continues to suggest that Microsoft’s low-level API for the Xbox One is extremely similar to Mantle, and the difference between the two is basically semantic. This doesn’t square very well with Microsoft’s own statements; we’ll continue to investigate. "

----The author in the comment section then says this

" Joel Hruska James Tolson
• 2 days ago

What I'm hearing from other people suggtsts that the MS blog post was classic CYA and written more because of tension regarding the superiority of DX11 -- not any actual capability difference between Mantle and Xbox One's API.

The situation remains muddled."
----------------------------------------------
Joel Hruska Jeremy Garcia
• 14 hours ago

The implications I'm hearing is that the Xbox One and Mantle are *extremely* similar, and that the Xbox One post was written to defend DirectX after it got slagged as slow and inefficient.

If so, that's tremendously annoying. But it also makes sense in a lot of ways. The things DX11.x does for the Xbox One are exactly the sort of things that Mantle is doing for the PC.

---
PSN--Anti-Flag
#8FoppePosted 10/17/2013 1:05:12 AM
kududoodoo posted...
Foppe posted...

I highly doubt there will be a PC version.

PC version or not doesn't matter, the game is still being made in DirectX.
Which is why they decide to do a Xbx One port, because both the PS4 and One supports it.
Which is why Wii U is not getting a port, because it does not support DirectX.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#9greensacsPosted 10/17/2013 5:21:06 AM
Neither system has a 7970 in it. No way shape or form. Any website or rumor claiming that is off. $300 card will not be inside a $400-500 console.

Another thing is on my gaming rig my CPU is not bottle necked. My gpu is so powerful it does most of the work with out a hitch.
---
360 GT-TedNugent NRA Vita-iVitaKid
WiiU- Daddy_Kong
#10kududoodoo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 9:07:19 AM
greensacs posted...
Neither system has a 7970 in it. No way shape or form. Any website or rumor claiming that is off. $300 card will not be inside a $400-500 console.

Another thing is on my gaming rig my CPU is not bottle necked. My gpu is so powerful it does most of the work with out a hitch.

If your game is running through Direct X, then you are essentially using a minority of the performance your hardware is capable of. Direct X is what's known as a "High-Level" API. This means, to work on as many possible setups as possible, it uses a highly inefficient process for draw calls.

Thus, it has the effect of slowing down your hardware. To make up for this, you must continually purchase expensive new GPU's. This allows high margin hardware manufacturers to charge you high premiums for new hardware when it's convenient.

Ever wonder why GTA 5 looks and functions as good as it does on 7 year old tech? Because the consoles use custom low-level API's! Mantle is PC's solution to this problem and a huge reason why EA/DICE are heavily supporting Mantle.
---
PSN--Anti-Flag