So has it been figured out yet?!

#1RetrowirePosted 10/17/2013 7:00:52 PM
Are there going to be unavoidable advertisements on the home screen or not?

Last time I asked this question, I got
"No, they'll be there in the form of pins that you can remove."
"Yes, they'll be there in the form of pins that you CANT remove."
"There will be advertisements everywhere."
"There will be advertisements nowhere."

In other words, I didn't really get anywhere. So what's the word on that now? This is still my deciding factor as to whether or not I'll ever get an Xbox One.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#2sworderPosted 10/17/2013 7:04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8DM05hh4o

right side, that's the kind of ads you'll get
#3Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 7:06:57 PM
sworder posted...

I appreciate the help but I cannot watch youtube vids.

So you're saying that I will get unavoidable ads? I've got zero tolerance for ads.
---
#4Foxx3kPosted 10/17/2013 7:08:27 PM
Retrowire posted...

So you're saying that I will get unavoidable ads? I've got zero tolerance for ads.

I don't know how you do anything in life.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#5Combo626Posted 10/17/2013 7:09:48 PM
Retrowire posted...
sworder posted...

Yeah ads are everywhere even on GameFAQs right now.
I'm looking at a Forge of Empires and a "Singles in Winter Park" ad.

You should stop coming here, TC.
---
PREPARE FOR BATTTTTLLEEEE!
#6Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 7:10:01 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Retrowire posted...

lol, I browse the web with javascript and images disabled. On websites where it's absolutely necessary, I will enable them.

In the real world, it's unavoidable, but with my technology, I prefer having full control of that.
---
#7Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 7:14:52 PM
Combo626 posted...
Retrowire posted...
sworder posted...

Yeah ads are everywhere even on GameFAQs right now.
I'm looking at a Forge of Empires and a "Singles in Winter Park" ad.

You should stop coming here, TC.

I'm in control of the media and advertisements on my PC. I'm just asking if I'm capable of controlling these things on the Xbox One?

On my 360, I use the system offline, therefore no ads. On my Wii U, the only way to disable ads on the home screen is by going through parental controls.

What's the options on the One?
---
#8Foxx3kPosted 10/17/2013 7:15:05 PM
Retrowire posted...
Foxx3k posted...
Retrowire posted...

lol, I browse the web with javascript and images disabled. On websites where it's absolutely necessary, I will enable them.

In the real world, it's unavoidable, but with my technology, I prefer having full control of that.

Do you block GameFaqs "new releases" list?
Do you block the links at the bottom to GameSpot and GiantBomb etc?
Do you block the platform list? You could construe it's listing of "iOS" and not "Android" as advertising.

Your life sounds exhausting and taxing. For such little gain, even.

Do you refuse to watch live sports on television, preferring to wait until they're over so that you may watch them ad-free and properly scrubbed of any ads that pop up on the screen or on the score board? Do you flip your TV over in outrage when you see the athletes drinking from Gatorade branded water bottles?
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#9AzaneAzerPosted 10/17/2013 7:17:07 PM
unavoidable intrusive ads "Catered" to you.
#10DeadLock25Posted 10/17/2013 7:20:40 PM(edited)
TC the Pins and Home screen tabs are two different things.

The Pins page which is to the left of the Home screen is fully customizable with over a dozen pins on the left side, and another set of pins on the right side for the setting/options category of pins. There is no ads anywhere on this screen, it is fully yours to edit.

The Home screen is the one with a large window representing your last played game, with i think 4 or 5 customizable pins below and 3 recomendation windows of medium size on the right side of that whole tab

I did not know if those recommendation windows are removable, or if you would even consider them customizable. If you dont think they are ads, then there is no ads anywhere on the dashboard. The only adds you will see are those for new releases/sales of games/movies/shows/apps in their respective tabs in the store section.

PS: you use your 360 offline and say there is no ads? What about that large black XBL window on the home screen that is always present in offline mode?
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244 (PM me if you want me to add you)