So has it been figured out yet?!

#31SilentS89Posted 10/17/2013 7:52:52 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
AzaneAzer posted...
I can see why the OP enjoys privacy, he asks simple questions and people are interrogating him, foaming at the mouth because he asks a question that will have negative connotations for the xbone.
yes, the xo is the only place in our lives we are exposed to advertising.

The hell kind of argument is this? This is a video game board, it is off topic to discuss advertisements from other venues.

This is the kind of "you got punched anyway, so why complain about getting kicked in the groin?" logic that I've been seeing used to justify the xbone for months.
#32Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 7:58:08 PM
SilentS89 posted...
AzaneAzer posted...
I can see why the OP enjoys privacy, he asks simple questions and people are interrogating him, foaming at the mouth because he asks a question that will have negative connotations for the xbone.

The hell kind of argument is this? This is a video game board, it is off topic to discuss advertisements from other venues.

This is the kind of "you got punched anyway, so why complain about getting kicked in the groin?" logic that I've been seeing used to justify the xbone for months.

Nice analogy.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#33FoppePosted 10/17/2013 9:32:43 PM
I'm more interested in what games TC plays.
We had another topic some days ago where somebody whined about ads and how he only played games without any ads, which we destroyed when we saw his gamerscore.
Heck, he even got that achievement in Alan Wake that you can only get by watching ads.
So how is TC controlling ingame ads?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#34Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/17/2013 9:40:26 PM
Retrowire posted...
SilentS89 posted...
AzaneAzer posted...

Nice analogy.
yes, it's like the xo is punching you in the mouth and kicking you in the groin with advertisements.
#35epicfailtryhardPosted 10/18/2013 2:10:18 AM
i suspect that if they devote system resources to advertisements (making games on play better on other systems) and a camera to gauge your response to said commercials...that commercials are mandatory to the experience with zilch opportunity to avoid them.

enjoy.
---
"if you consider a troll to be someone who is expressing their opinion and isn't rattled by yours being different...welcome home.~me
#36pigman2003Posted 10/18/2013 4:07:28 AM
I was looking at the home screen and got to thinking, What else would you put there? I don't mind ads if they're video game ads and if they aren't in the way.

On a side note, that boot up video is slick.
#37Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 7:00:03 AM
Foppe posted...
I'm more interested in what games TC plays.
We had another topic some days ago where somebody whined about ads and how he only played games without any ads, which we destroyed when we saw his gamerscore.
Heck, he even got that achievement in Alan Wake that you can only get by watching ads.
So how is TC controlling ingame ads?

My game library is not very large actually.

Of all the games that I own that have in game advertisements, I choose the ones that are fun enough to keep and disregard the ads, but the ads are not so intrusive.

The games I own that have in game advertisements are:

Burnout 3 Takedown for PS2: They're all on billboards that I drive by super fast with blurry speed.
Skate 3: There aren't that many surprisingly and they're for beverages and skateboard companies that I already enjoy. They aren't trying to sell things, they're really just logos on billboards.

And that's it...

I have Alan Wake actually, and love it. I have no idea what ads within game that you're talking about though. I know there are brand name items in the game but again, logos don't bother me.

Intrusive ads, things that pop up and try to sell me things is what I am against.
---
#38Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 7:05:49 AM
pigman2003 posted...
I was looking at the home screen and got to thinking, What else would you put there? I don't mind ads if they're video game ads and if they aren't in the way.

On a side note, that boot up video is slick.

I agree that game advertisements make more sense to be advertised on the system. But as of the moment, Microsoft wants the Xbox One to be the All in One solution for the living room. So they will advertise ALL MEDIA, and that's too much for me.

Personally, I don't like games being advertised outside of the shop/store because I don't want to be exposed to games that I don't care for or agree with. If I enter the store, I understand that I am agreeing to the contract that I am entering a domain which is within their full reign.

However, as for the home screen, I'd prefer that to be under my control, completely. Especially since I would paying around $600 for the console. Though, price doesn't matter, if I paid for it, you don't need to get more money out of me by pushing ads as much as possible on your UI.
---
#39ACx7Posted 10/18/2013 7:10:10 AM
Retrowire posted...
Foxx3k posted...
Retrowire posted...

So you're saying that I will get unavoidable ads? I've got zero tolerance for ads.

I don't know how you do anything in life.

lol, I browse the web with javascript and images disabled. On websites where it's absolutely necessary, I will enable them.

In the real world, it's unavoidable, but with my technology, I prefer having full control of that.

There will be ads. Get used to it or don't buy the system. None of us want them there. But there's really nothing we can do about it.
#40khardboredPosted 10/18/2013 7:23:50 AM
This is really insane. Everyone is going section 8 on the TC because he chooses to lead his life as ad-free as possible. Leave the guy alone. I tried to answer his question as best as I could and I'll quote it again.

What is the sudden obsession over his privacy? The man obviously has a way he like things. Everyone around he is acting like it's the first time they saw something new.

Anyway, TC: From what we have seen, the homescreen has about the same, if not more ads then current gen. Your control over them is pretty unknown at the moment. You may very well be able to go offline as you do now. As far as being online and disabling all ads, I don't see that happening, honestly. You may be able to limit them but I don't think you will completely remove them whilst online.

All of this is just some educated speculation. Hope it helps.

---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */