A great article on F2P games! Do we really want the future games to follow this?

#11WM_PMCPosted 10/19/2013 10:36:07 PM
How can you not like free games????
---
PSN: WingNut125
KiP Info: www.kipclan.info; KiP forum: www.kipclan.com
#12DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/19/2013 10:57:51 PM
I have no problem with Killer Instincts free model since its not really the traditional F2P model. Its not really going to be about buying stuff to win, just about buying the characters you want to play. However, generally I prefer games with a set price. Are you a retail game at $60 or an indie game at $10? There are exceptions but a lot of F2P games truly are Pay 2 Win. Even LoL is quite like this. I can grind for months to max out my levels or I can pay for it... I can use random characters that they let me use whenever and never get good at anyone or I can buy some characters. Not paying is gimping yourself or wasting even more time than the money is worth.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#13trogdor2k5Posted 10/19/2013 11:20:54 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
I have no problem with Killer Instincts free model since its not really the traditional F2P model. Its not really going to be about buying stuff to win, just about buying the characters you want to play. However, generally I prefer games with a set price. Are you a retail game at $60 or an indie game at $10? There are exceptions but a lot of F2P games truly are Pay 2 Win. Even LoL is quite like this. I can grind for months to max out my levels or I can pay for it... I can use random characters that they let me use whenever and never get good at anyone or I can buy some characters. Not paying is gimping yourself or wasting even more time than the money is worth.

And then you can look at Dota 2 which gives you all heroes from the get go and the only difference between payers and non payers is fancy hats with no purpose other than looking cool.
---
PSN: trogdor2k9
BlazBlue Main: Iron Tager Sub: Hazama
#14SunDevil77Posted 10/19/2013 11:58:22 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
So stand up and not play Killer Instict

Not free to play. It has a demo that comes with every Xbox One. The full game is $20.
---
Uh, yes, sir. They're driving an '84... Sheepdog.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#15Binba442Posted 10/20/2013 1:56:11 AM
Want an example of a good free to play game? Look to valve, tf2 and Dota 2 are the most generous free to play games out there. Look to valve for salvation.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#16darkphiresagePosted 10/20/2013 3:10:26 AM
only f2p game I've played is Vindictus. most of what was in the shop was cosmetic. exceptions were timed bonuses like xp boosters and items that rezzed the entire party when a raid boss handed you your ass. if that's what I have to look forward to, I'm fine with that. I hear PSO2 is the same. hoping the new consoles convince sega to give it a try over here.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#17DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/20/2013 5:56:34 AM
Haven't looked up to Valve for a long time. Just because TF2 is free now doesn't mean jack ****. They need to drop a major budget and deliver games people want rather than messing around with trying to attract more Steam customers. Valve is quickly becoming completely irrelevant to me.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#18ACx7Posted 10/20/2013 11:53:24 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Haven't looked up to Valve for a long time. Just because TF2 is free now doesn't mean jack ****. They need to drop a major budget and deliver games people want rather than messing around with trying to attract more Steam customers. Valve is quickly becoming completely irrelevant to me.

I assume you mean something like L4D3 or HL3. Which I would agree with. But it's not like Valve is just sitting on their hands doing nothing for the gaming community. CS:GO came out last year. DOTA 2 was officially released this year. Both of those games are good and extremely popular.

Valve has the best F2P model right now with DOTA 2 and TF2. The game is legitimately free. The only thing you can spend money on are cosmetic changes; and even those are obtainable through gameplay.