Now that Cloud based dedicated servers are free, what games do you hope to see?

#11Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/18/2013 9:54:31 PM
You realize you could gain even more latency issues with dedicated servers.

The servers added for Xbox Live are in Iowa, if you live in New York your amount of hops to reach that server will be greater unless you're on fiber optics but only a very small portion of the world even has access to FO.

Dedicated servers doesn't change the amount of hops your connection has to go through in order to reach the destitination. You could have a lower latency rate(Which is what matters for MP games) in a P2P setup vs a dedicated server.

Here is an example.

My latency or time it takes data to send/receive to Google.Com is 44ms, my time for this website is 143ms.

Both are dedicated, now my neighbor when I ping his IP is only 12ms.

It's all about distance and the provider they use.

Just run a command line in Windows and use the Tracert command.. example

Tracert www.google.com

and see the amount of hops the connection has to hit in order to reach the destination, normally the greater the distance the more hops. The more hops = higher latency
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#12mindoftwomoronsPosted 10/18/2013 10:19:50 PM(edited)
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
The servers added for Xbox Live are in Iowa

Except that's not the only database they have and there's nothing to say, and if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me(i.e. provide proof), that it's limited to that datacenter and only that datacenter.

Edit: And before you mention this:
http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-is-spending-677-million-preparing-a-data-center-for-xbox-one-1559882/

I'll refer to this:
http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

Specifically:
With the Xbox Live Cloud, we donít have to worry about estimating how many servers weíll need on launch day. We donít have to find ISPs all over the globe and rent servers from each one. We donít have to maintain the servers or copy new builds to every server. That lets us focus on things that make our game more fun. And best yet, Microsoft has datacenters all over the world, so everyone playing our game should have a consistent, low latency connection to their local datacenter.
---
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/monkeyofevil/aguwargrey.gif http://i.imgur.com/u2FewN1.gif
#13GothmogzPosted 10/18/2013 11:57:10 PM
BrownGotti posted...
I'm interested to see how fighting games will perform on dedicated servers. I can't think of any that use dedicated servers last gen and the lag was generally acceptable. So this gen should be even better.

Fighting games will never use servers, my god the things you read here. They use peer to peer and is the best as there are only two opponents so peer to peer with udp packets provides the fastest connetion possible, is a straight line, if you add a server you are breaking that line and adding lag, also, it will bring the worst problem ever that will make that game impossibel to play at competitive level, they will have different pings!, on peer to peer, the lag is the same for both.

Server are useful for games with more than 3 players.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#14crynryanPosted 10/19/2013 1:03:30 AM
Quote:You realize you could gain even more latency issues with dedicated servers.

The servers added for Xbox Live are in Iowa, if you live in New York your amount of hops to reach that server will be greater unless you're on fiber optics but only a very small portion of the world even has access to FO.

Dedicated servers doesn't change the amount of hops your connection has to go through in order to reach the destitination. You could have a lower latency rate(Which is what matters for MP games) in a P2P setup vs a dedicated server.

Here is an example.

My latency or time it takes data to send/receive to Google.Com is 44ms, my time for this website is 143ms.

Both are dedicated, now my neighbor when I ping his IP is only 12ms.

It's all about distance and the provider they use.

Just run a command line in Windows and use the Tracert command.. example

Tracert www.google.com

and see the amount of hops the connection has to hit in order to reach the destination, normally the greater the distance the more hops. The more hops = higher latency

@Xeeh_Bitz

Would be awesome if they have a farm in Redmond, as that's only half an hour away from me... But seeing as how it's in the northwest it's unlikely.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#15DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 3:30:22 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Wow, the desperation is strong with this one...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#16vashtrichamPosted 10/19/2013 3:58:20 AM
Gothmogz posted...
BrownGotti posted...
I'm interested to see how fighting games will perform on dedicated servers. I can't think of any that use dedicated servers last gen and the lag was generally acceptable. So this gen should be even better.

Fighting games will never use servers, my god the things you read here. They use peer to peer and is the best as there are only two opponents so peer to peer with udp packets provides the fastest connetion possible, is a straight line, if you add a server you are breaking that line and adding lag, also, it will bring the worst problem ever that will make that game impossibel to play at competitive level, they will have different pings!, on peer to peer, the lag is the same for both.

Yay someone who gets it
---
Injustice Main: Superman, Flash
Subs : Green Lantern, Shazam
#17Ch3wyPosted 10/19/2013 6:29:22 AM
Gothmogz posted...
BrownGotti posted...

That makes no sense. The host won't have any lag at all. With dedicated servers, there's at least a chance they'll have the same ping.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#18mrshowtime333Posted 10/19/2013 6:34:25 AM
babamig posted...
jrbeerman11 posted...
Free?

"Free" for your live subscription of $59.99!

People pay that much for live? Dont think ive ever paid more than $35 or $40. Amateurs.
#19MrImpatient35Posted 10/19/2013 7:45:02 AM
I'd love another Mech Assault game. I know the game isn't massively popular, so it could benefit from the dedicated servers a whole lot.
---
33 things to know about X1: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61886/features/the-xbox-one-33-things-you-need-to-know/
DR3, AC4, Xbox Fitness, and maybe Crimson Dragon
#20Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/19/2013 8:11:37 AM(edited)
DesperateMonkey posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Wow, the desperation is strong with this one...

http://joranmarkx.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/image002.jpg

Also, nice evidence you brought to back up your claim

If you notice those servers they have, they only have 2 locations in the US. Much of the world is left in the dark without ANY locations and 200ms latency rates.

Also, here is my trace to MSs servers, it has so many hops to reach its destination it times out

http://i.imgur.com/hyjsLxm.png

That situation would make piss poor gaming.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!