Why are some people upset about the Xone ads?

#1boundedcribPosted 10/18/2013 6:24:32 AM
Don't they know that Google does it to? If you have a G-mail account or anything Google then you already are getting ads suited for you. because Google sells your information. But, Google has not hurt anybody doing this so why are people mad that the Xone will be doing this? Im kinda happy that this is happening, I don't want some stupid facial cream commercial when I DONT want facial cream.
#2Ch3wyPosted 10/18/2013 6:34:50 AM
Everyone sells your information for advertising.

Your bank does it. Paypal does it. Your insurance providers do it. Every ToU that you have ever agreed to says that they're allowed to sell your information.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3boundedcrib(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 6:39:00 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Everyone sells your information for advertising.

Your bank does it. Paypal does it. Your insurance providers do it. Every ToU that you have ever agreed to says that they're allowed to sell your information.

I know, I was just using Google as a example. But if people know that (basically) everyone does this then why are people upset about the Xone ads? Is it just trolling?
#4khardboredPosted 10/18/2013 6:41:22 AM
I've come to find that either,

1) People really do value their opinion and they opt out of everything or disable anything that shows them advertisements.
2) They are just on the bandwagon where they do not like anything MS does. Even if everything else in their life does it.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#5Ch3wyPosted 10/18/2013 6:41:56 AM
Yes, it's trolling.

Unless they're really that ignorant of the way the world works, it's just false outrage.

It's like with the DRM policies. While there were many people like myself who did genuinely want them to change, a lot of the people saying they wanted them to change turned around and made fun of MS for doing 180's when they did change.

It's just something negative that they see that they can criticize it for. Pretty stupid thing though since everyone, including Sony, does it.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6MetroidFan9999Posted 10/18/2013 6:44:31 AM
No it isn't trolling, every chance I get to opt out of said things, I do. Since Xbox One was designed primarily for advertisements, it's an easy choice.

Which console respects that boundary more? The PS4, end of. If that is trolling then you people need to re-evaluate your life choices.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#7kingofjamaicaPosted 10/18/2013 6:44:53 AM
I don't like ads in products I've already paid for. I shouldn't have to see any advertisements when I boot up my PC or console.

That's why I never upgraded to Windows 8, even though it provides performance enhancements. I refuse to use that dumbass Metro view, and adamantly refuse to put up with ads on my OS that already costs $99 at the cheapest.

I also roll with AdBlock Plus on Firefox and Chrome. That's partially a security thing since a lot of those ads have malware attached.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 10/18/2013 6:45:10 AM
I'm annoyed by the fact that I pay a subscription to live in the US in the form of taxes and I'm still bombarded by advertisements everywhere I look. >:|
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#9FoppePosted 10/18/2013 6:47:19 AM
I always ask what kind of games they play when they start whining.
Turns out they got no problems playing games with ads.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#10BarneyBoscoPosted 10/18/2013 6:48:00 AM
Wait what. If its a free service expect ads. If you pay $$ no. If you're ok with it, then why not let Ford put a Taco Bell endorsement on the side of your car. Or perhaps dorito's on those nike's.
---
http://www.mykaussie.com/images/Tennis1.jpg