Sony falls 2nd to Microsoft in ABI Research game console Competitive Assessment

#91Ch3wyPosted 10/19/2013 2:11:15 PM
What are they? Could you give me some examples?

Pre-fetching areas, any off screen AI activity just to name a couple.

Did I say Microsoft's cloud was using those things right now? We're talking about things that could happen here and things that are already happening on different clouds, the XB1 isn't out yet.

Yeah, that's the problem: all of those things are theoretical.
They're possible in theory, but not in practice due to bandwidth limitations and latency.

The things that are already happening are not just theoretical.

I never denied it was used for AI calculations, post where I said MMOs don't use it for AI calculations.

OK.

Play an MMO game.

There's your proof.

Congratulations, that's data storage, which I mentioned as being one of the two viable options.

Now where are all the other claims being proven?

It's more than data storage lol. All of the game's AI calculations are being done via the cloud.

Read the article I posted, It fully explains why this is very unlikely:

-snip-

In short: it's too slow.

---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#92SoulTrapperPosted 10/19/2013 2:22:52 PM
Ch3wy posted...

Pre-fetching areas, any off screen AI activity just to name a couple.

Yes, where are examples of this happening and what possible advantage would a dev have by letting the cloud do this over letting it being done locally?

The things that are already happening are not just theoretical.

What things? What is being done by the cloud already?

ok

Again, where did I deny AI calculations were being done server side in MMOs?
Because I didn't say it in either of those posts.

I did say that it wasn't possible to do this for actual games due to latency, as the article (which you conveniently cut out) proves.

So, once again, the only unbiased article looking in depth at the cloud says it's unlikely until Microsoft can actually prove it with software.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming
---
PSN: El_Coon
#93Ch3wyPosted 10/19/2013 2:53:59 PM
SoulTrapper posted...

Yes, where are examples of this happening and what possible advantage would a dev have by letting the cloud do this over letting it being done locally?

It would free up CPU resources, reduce stutter, etc... No, I don't have any examples for this.

What things? What is being done by the cloud already?

AI calculations in MMOs. Pay attention.

Again, where did I deny AI calculations were being done server side in MMOs?
Because I didn't say it in either of those posts.

I did say that it wasn't possible to do this for actual games due to latency, as the article (which you conveniently cut out) proves.

Yes, you did say it in those posts, it's pretty clear.

And you just now said it, I bolded it for you to help. Or are MMOs not games?

I'm starting to think eurogamer is paying you for clicks here... Enough with the article, we've read it. Learn to think for yourself now.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#94shotymePosted 10/19/2013 3:22:58 PM
Warning..Damage Control over 9000..
---
Games: Dragon's Crown, Borderlands 2, NBA2k14, GTA5/Want: Watchdogs, Persona 5, Beyond, Guilty Gear Xrd
Sports: Titans, Oregon Ducks, NY Knicks, STL Cards
#95SilentS89Posted 10/19/2013 3:46:12 PM
Kinda makes you wonder who financed the ABI Research game console Competitive Assessment.

What kind of delusional "competitive assessment" suggests that more expensive yet inferior hardware is more competitive than cheaper yet superior hardware?
#96grampamurkedPosted 10/19/2013 3:59:37 PM
So many sore Sony fans I dunno who to point and laugh at first.
---
Xbox One on day one. Gonna miss my job, well not really.
#97shotymePosted 10/19/2013 4:08:19 PM
grampamurked posted...
So many sore Sony fans I dunno who to point and laugh at first.

Honestly the butthurt and delusions are on both side Sony and Microsoft. Meanwhile people like me just shut up and game..PC, Console, or Handheld...doesn't matter.
---
Games: Dragon's Crown, Borderlands 2, NBA2k14, GTA5/Want: Watchdogs, Persona 5, Beyond, Guilty Gear Xrd
Sports: Titans, Oregon Ducks, NY Knicks, STL Cards
#98bloodlover4everPosted 10/19/2013 4:21:59 PM
khardbored posted...
The Xbox One is no longer just a gaming console. It now appeals to a wider audience. This is a good thing for everyone. It gets more companies looking at the Xbox One. Developers love this idea because it gets their product the chance to integrate into a different demographic. The One in the Xbox One really does encompass it's vision as an All-in-One entertainment system and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

We've seen how beautiful the launch titles are and it's a very safe bet that things will only get even more pretty. So that pretty much ends the argument that since the focus is no longer 100% gaming, that the games will fail and or look ugly.

It's a good time to be a console gamer. We have two (3 if you count Nintendos offerings) very capable consoles that will offer some pretty amazing things down the line. Whatever your entertainment preferences are, you'll find what you want this generation.

So let's all just calm down, sit back and have fun. For cereals. This bickering about 1080, ads, NSA Agent Dave watching you scratch yourself are all for naught. In the end, us gamers have more choice than ever before. So yeah, stuff.

This is funny, because of this XboxOne faced all these problems and released a console with a power divided between gaming and other things. This will not bring wider audience as it is clear now from pre orders, if figures are accurate! But we saw on all gaming forums how this decision beside others effected how the Xbox one looked like as a "gaming console" in a gaming market.

Now if it wants to compete with Apple TV then it has to leave the gaming industry and release something specifically for causal gamers. Xbox one shouldn't be that system.
#99DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/19/2013 4:29:05 PM
SoulTrapper is having a meltdown after contradicting himself.... On one hand, MMOs do stuff with Cloud. On the other hand, its not possible to do it with Cloud because its just "storage". No wait, I didn't say they didn't do it! I said it was pointless for MMOs to do it? Or is that what I'm saying? EUROGAMER, HALP!
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#100cruzateuPosted 10/19/2013 4:44:56 PM
khardbored posted...
The Xbox One is no longer just a gaming console. It now appeals to a wider audience. This is a good thing for everyone. It gets more companies looking at the Xbox One. Developers love this idea because it gets their product the chance to integrate into a different demographic. The One in the Xbox One really does encompass it's vision as an All-in-One entertainment system and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

We've seen how beautiful the launch titles are and it's a very safe bet that things will only get even more pretty. So that pretty much ends the argument that since the focus is no longer 100% gaming, that the games will fail and or look ugly.

It's a good time to be a console gamer. We have two (3 if you count Nintendos offerings) very capable consoles that will offer some pretty amazing things down the line. Whatever your entertainment preferences are, you'll find what you want this generation.

So let's all just calm down, sit back and have fun. For cereals. This bickering about 1080, ads, NSA Agent Dave watching you scratch yourself are all for naught. In the end, us gamers have more choice than ever before. So yeah, stuff.

LOL to your post....

Although i disagree entirely with it, it is okay to have that opinion.The only part that i don`t understand is:

"It's a good time to be a console gamer"

This is the worst time to be a console gamer. The ps4 and Xbone ON LAUNCH are weaker than a PC(and no, not a super new one, just a good one).

The graphics are not top, the exclusives neither .Halo 2, ps2 RPGs, etc were reasons you would stick with a console, but....now the games are repetitive and exclusives aren`t that big of a deal(you can say you will love rise, but you can`t deny that you would want "another halo 2" instead of any of these new exclusives.).

Oh yeah, games are cheaper on PC and you can use a console controller on a PC if you need it.

And before someone says i`m a PC elitist, my PC is a windows XP, my connection is 1mb/s-2mb/s and we don`t switch it since 2004. I``ve been a console player since forever, but.... i see no reason to buy a console anymore.(But i may buy a PS4 because i don`t have a credit card for steam, so it would be impossible to go PC)

(sorry for any spelling issues)