I'd like some input on a indie game I'm scoring for.

#1Corspegrinder28Posted 10/20/2013 2:28:34 PM
Me and a team of 3 others are going to take advantage of the id@xbox program to make a 3rd person psychological/horror thriller, and I've been tasked to score the game. I've gone through different phases of genres, and some will be a mashup of ambient stuff, metal tracks, and industrial/DnB/EDM.

I've finished 3 of the rough drafts and would like some input from the gaming community. Even if you think it ****ing sucks, any input would be appreciated. Keep in mind though it is unfinished, no vocals or guitars have been added yet.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/the-alpha-paradox
---
Legion of Doom: Professor Chaos/LIVE: Corpsegrinder80
Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet at a time.
#2bloodlover4everPosted 10/20/2013 3:02:39 PM
I will tag for later, but I would like to bump your topic for your talent.
#3squarex8264Posted 10/20/2013 3:38:32 PM
Out of the three tracks, I enjoyed "Criminal Mind" the most. I feel it has a nice underlying beat that could work with the genre you are scoring.

All three songs, however, feel a bit too upbeat to me for a psychological/horror game. For example:

-"Bar Fight" feels very action heavy to me... I feel like it would be played while I'm running through long corridors hunting things down. The tempo of the song just feels a bit fast, and doesn't give me any sort of "horror" vibe at all.

-"Ascent" similarly gives me more of an open-ended, exploration feeling. Like I'm running through some large open, cavernous areas (probably the echo/voice effect used is invoking that response). Again, the tempo feels really fast on this one and gives me a very action-heavy vibe.

-"Criminal Mind" was really enjoyable. I wasn't a big fan of the retro-sounding synth filter on the main beat. Again, tempo feels like it could be too fast, but I can see this one working in the genre you are describing.

Thanks for sharing your music out for feedback. It was pretty awesome to listen to it, and great job putting these tracks together.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#4Corspegrinder28(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 1:01:01 PM
squarex8264 posted...
Out of the three tracks, I enjoyed "Criminal Mind" the most. I feel it has a nice underlying beat that could work with the genre you are scoring.

All three songs, however, feel a bit too upbeat to me for a psychological/horror game. For example:

-"Bar Fight" feels very action heavy to me... I feel like it would be played while I'm running through long corridors hunting things down. The tempo of the song just feels a bit fast, and doesn't give me any sort of "horror" vibe at all.

-"Ascent" similarly gives me more of an open-ended, exploration feeling. Like I'm running through some large open, cavernous areas (probably the echo/voice effect used is invoking that response). Again, the tempo feels really fast on this one and gives me a very action-heavy vibe.

-"Criminal Mind" was really enjoyable. I wasn't a big fan of the retro-sounding synth filter on the main beat. Again, tempo feels like it could be too fast, but I can see this one working in the genre you are describing.

Thanks for sharing your music out for feedback. It was pretty awesome to listen to it, and great job putting these tracks together.

Thank you, sir. The aforementioned 3 tracks are indeed the ones I'm scratching my head on at this point, and I agree will your comments on all of them. Part of me wants to just reboot them and save the tracks for templates for future works, but I might just try and salvage what I can. I've looked at the files and documents for the game, and it definitely needs a darker tone seeing that the script I read was very violent and it calls for more "evil", I guess you could say.

But thank you for your comments and kind words, seeing I've never scored a game before. "The Ascent" is literally what is happening in-game during the track (I won't give away anything else), and I'm sure once you guys get your hands on the game, you'll see why. It fits perfectly. "Bar Fight" will probably be the first to get scrapped. I went waaayy off the rails on that one. "Criminal Mind" will probably be used during a certain scene (It's my favorite track on this project so far). The rest of what I'm working on is very Broken-era Nine Inch Nails and Akira Yamaoka inspired.
---
#5DarkJaydragonPosted 10/21/2013 1:32:06 PM
The ascent was my favourite, it reminded me a little of Silent Hill at the start and then it went all Roni Size on my ass.
---
Not changing this sig until i go to sleep started : 13/01/06 00:40 am GT: Jaydragon117 Flight of dragons is #1.
#6Corspegrinder28(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 4:45:32 PM
DarkJaydragon posted...
The ascent was my favourite, it reminded me a little of Silent Hill at the start and then it went all Roni Size on my ass.

I was listening to a lot of Aphex Twin while I was composing and planning all this, so the influence might have broken through :P
---
#7Ch3wyPosted 10/21/2013 5:11:18 PM
I liked the Ascent quite a bit, definitely see how Aphex Twin could have influence that. Only criticism is that at the end about 3.13 there's a pretty abrupt shift. Maybe fade in that synth or something

Criminal Mind was pretty good too, I could see how its dark tonality could be fitting.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Bar Fight, but it wasn't terrible. Has quite a retro sound to it.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8Corspegrinder28(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 8:50:10 AM
Ch3wy posted...
I liked the Ascent quite a bit, definitely see how Aphex Twin could have influence that. Only criticism is that at the end about 3.13 there's a pretty abrupt shift. Maybe fade in that synth or something

Criminal Mind was pretty good too, I could see how its dark tonality could be fitting.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Bar Fight, but it wasn't terrible. Has quite a retro sound to it.

You know man, I noticed that shift the other day on my headphones and with the noise gate in them on, it's REALLY noticeable. It has like a popping sound almost. Thanks for the input on that.

The "retro" sound you mention in BF comes from the drums (at least that's what I'm assuming, in which you are right) and that's the song I've been working on lately, because it's my least favorite of the 6 I'm releasing.

I wanted to take a moment to introduce the premise of the upcoming indie game, if I may. It's currently being called Into the Light, but it's just a project name for now. All of this is in pre-development until id@ actually drops.

Your character is Mark Sherman, a seemingly normal family man who has gotten into a fatal car crash. His soul is trapped in purgatory, and he must face all of his horrible secrets, and unknown violent past to decide where he ends up. It fluctuates from 3rd P action, to FP sections from what I've seen. The 1990 film Jacob's Ladder as well as 1994's Natural Born Killers have been a big inspiration of the whole team, as are the earlier Silent Hill games, and you'll see nods to both in the game. With the new ability to make these games available to the public, I'm anxious to see where indie gaming goes next gen :)
---
#9Corspegrinder28(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 12:58:34 PM
*bump for info*

Also, information on the game can be found via the emails of myself and the head dev. If interested, just shoot me a message.
---
#10BERZERKER17Posted 10/24/2013 1:39:45 PM
Mind PM'ing me for your e-mail good-sir? (wasn't able to find it on your GFAQS info), I may be of some use.
---
R.I.P TimeSplitters 4, R.I.P FreeRadical, 21st December 2008.
XBL Gamertag: Catalytic Flash