Impressions from the Xbox tour event

#1micheal82Posted 10/20/2013 3:51:32 PM
I went to the Xbox tour event here in Chicago and came away pretty impressed.

Controller: The controller felt very comfortable, my hands seemed to wrap naturally around it. They improved the D-pad, so much so that it is actually functional. I was able to pull off the srk motion with no problem, something that was hard for me to pull off on the 360. The triggers felt nice. My only problem was the sticks felt loose almost like the DS3 sticks. That could be from the heavy use from the event, if not it could be something that I will have to get used to.

System: It looked better in person then it looks in pictures. It kind of looks like a mix between the original Xbox and the Xbox 360s. In terms of size it's about the same size as the original Xbox. It seemed quiet but that could be from the loud music that they were playing.

Games: I played KI, BF4, Forza and Ryse. KI felt clunky until I learned some of the system mechanics and then it felt smooth and quick. BF4 looks nice and ran smoothly, but the PC version is still the best in terms of look. Forza is beautiful and it showcases the dynamic rumble in the controllers. Ryse was fun but from what I played it is not a day one purchase. If I do buy it I will get it on sale because I don't see a lot of replayablity, maybe one play through and an achievement run if that. It looked nice but to me it doesn't feel like a $60 purchase.

After this event the wait to Nov. 22 is going to feel a whole lot longer.
---
I can shoot a whole load into a guys face and they just brush it off. - Psquared34
#2RollnThunder213Posted 10/20/2013 4:51:11 PM
I went on Saturday and had almost exactly the same opinions that you did.

The only difference I think we have is that the sticks felt fine to me. Yes they were weird at first because of not adjusting for a twitchy game like BF4, but the second and third times through the line I did exponentially better. At first I was way over swinging my target every time, then after some practice I was fine. It seems like it's more something that you adjust to and not a problem with the controller.

I don't really like racing games so Forza wasn't something I really enjoyed, only for the fact that I'm not a fan of the game type, especially sim racers. The rumble triggers definitely were different though. I'm more excited to see their use in FPS rather than a driving game which I don't play.

I'm still extremely excited for the console and can't wait to get it in a month from now.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#3coltsfan4ever31Posted 10/20/2013 4:56:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your impressions TC. The majority of people have raved about the controller. I really want to try it out for myself to see what it's really like. I wonder if they are having any of these Xbox tours in North Carolina. I'm a few hours away from Raleigh. Anyway to check on location stops/dates?
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi
#4Excal1burPosted 10/20/2013 6:48:57 PM
coltsfan4ever31 posted...
Thanks for sharing your impressions TC. The majority of people have raved about the controller. I really want to try it out for myself to see what it's really like. I wonder if they are having any of these Xbox tours in North Carolina. I'm a few hours away from Raleigh. Anyway to check on location stops/dates?

Location stops/dates.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/onetour

I went to the one in middle TN yesterday and i can tell you the Rumble Triggers is absolutely the coolest thing added to a controller in years. I typically ignore the rumble in the controller since its been doing it since the N64. I'm not sure if its possible to ignore your fingers vibrating like that.

I only got to play KI/Forza since it was a road test one. I can tell you 2 things from playing them. 1. both games look amazing nothing this gen even comes close. 2. I suck at KI but I beat my buddy that was with me because i figured out how to throw somebody first :)
#5coltsfan4ever31Posted 10/20/2013 6:54:29 PM
Excal1bur posted...
coltsfan4ever31 posted...

Location stops/dates.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/onetour

I went to the one in middle TN yesterday and i can tell you the Rumble Triggers is absolutely the coolest thing added to a controller in years. I typically ignore the rumble in the controller since its been doing it since the N64. I'm not sure if its possible to ignore your fingers vibrating like that.

I only got to play KI/Forza since it was a road test one. I can tell you 2 things from playing them. 1. both games look amazing nothing this gen even comes close. 2. I suck at KI but I beat my buddy that was with me because i figured out how to throw somebody first :)

Thanks for the link.
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi