You have to pay to use apps on the Xbone (Hypothetical)

#1CoordinatesPosted 10/20/2013 7:08:28 PM
Lately, Major Nelson have announced Machinima exclusivity for the Xbone, and with their current trend of exclusivity deals, applications are a prominent part of their console, just like Kinect. Windows 8 applications was also known to be usable on the Xbone, but I guess that you'll have to pay for them just like you do on Windows 8.

But I was just thinking, knowing the massive amount of people that will purchase an Xbone on launch, Microsoft might charge a quick buck or two, or more, to use applications that are exclusively developed for the Xbone. Having a demographic that will need to use those applications often, Microsoft may take advantage of those people and start selling those applications like Twitch and Netflix.

My question is, do you think Microsoft will adapt the pay-to-use concept and make you pay for apps?
If they did, would you buy them or not and why?
#2MrImpatient35Posted 10/20/2013 7:11:29 PM
lol I'm 100% sure they wont do that. That would be business/financial suicide to do something that unpopular. They wouldn't dare.
---
33 things to know about X1: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61886/features/the-xbox-one-33-things-you-need-to-know/
DR3, AC4, Xbox Fitness, and maybe Crimson Dragon
#3Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 10/20/2013 7:11:56 PM
MrImpatient35 posted...
lol I'm 100% sure they wont do that. That would be business/financial suicide to do something that unpopular. They wouldn't dare.

why? they've done it with everything else so far...
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#4DoukouPosted 10/20/2013 7:12:50 PM
If MS charged me more than gold to use an app, I'd never use an app.
---
Don't read this sig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EvifsO8VA
#5khardboredPosted 10/20/2013 7:18:33 PM
I've thought about this too. It is a possibility that some apps developers might want some extra cash by trying to get MS to charge us for the apps. Just about every other device charges for it's premium apps. I can see Microsoft doing it as well. If that is the case, I just won't use the apps. I planned on buying the console long before any apps were even announced.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#6FriedLemonPosted 10/20/2013 7:26:31 PM
It wouldn't surprise me tbh, they already have so many things that're behind a paywall when it's free on other platforms. Hell, they even tried to charge people to use Windows Live. Now lets think about that for a moment, charging for online play, on the PC...lol.
#7Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/20/2013 8:14:39 PM
Coordinates posted...
My question is, do you think Microsoft will adapt the pay-to-use concept and make you pay for apps?
why point to ms? for example, why wouldn't machinima charge for using their app, the same way you might pay for a strategy guide? or, a pizza hut app, where you have to pay for your pizza? it's not ms, who's charging you. if anyone charges for an app, it's probably the people who made the app, or provide the service the app is giving you. ms is charging you for their xbl service. but, unless they make the app themselves, then they probably aren't the ones setting the price. they might be getting a cut, though. understandable, since they built and operate the store.
#8khardboredPosted 10/20/2013 8:20:44 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
Coordinates posted...
why point to ms? for example, why wouldn't machinima charge for using their app, the same way you might pay for a strategy guide? or, a pizza hut app, where you have to pay for your pizza? it's not ms, who's charging you. if anyone charges for an app, it's probably the people who made the app, or provide the service the app is giving you. ms is charging you for their xbl service. but, unless they make the app themselves, then they probably aren't the ones setting the price. they might be getting a cut, though. understandable, since they built and operate the store.

^
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#9Coordinates(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:26:04 PM
khardbored posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
Coordinates posted...

^

They are responsible of many price issues on the XBL marketplace. Things like Netflix or Internet Explorer requires gold, and those apps are free on other similar products. Also, there's been a lot of disputes over publishers, notably Valve. Microsoft wanted to charge for Valve's DLC but Valve refused, but they had no choice if they wanted their DLC to be in the XBL store.
#10Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/20/2013 9:12:01 PM
Microsoft would have free and paid applications, like they do on Windows 8. Only difference is, you'll probably need gold to use even the paid ones.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!