You have to pay to use apps on the Xbone (Hypothetical)

#11jsplisimPosted 10/20/2013 9:17:29 PM
MrImpatient35 posted...
lol I'm 100% sure they wont do that. That would be business/financial suicide to do something that unpopular. They wouldn't dare.

I think (hope) they got all of the epic-level stupid decisions out of their system after E3...
---
There's the deltoids of compassion; There's the abs of being kind.
It's not enough to bash in heads, you've got to bash in minds...
#122ndAtomiskPosted 10/20/2013 9:26:51 PM
Coordinates posted...
khardbored posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
Coordinates posted...
My question is, do you think Microsoft will adapt the pay-to-use concept and make you pay for apps?
If they did, would you buy them or not and why?
why point to ms? for example, why wouldn't machinima charge for using their app, the same way you might pay for a strategy guide? or, a pizza hut app, where you have to pay for your pizza? it's not ms, who's charging you. if anyone charges for an app, it's probably the people who made the app, or provide the service the app is giving you. ms is charging you for their xbl service. but, unless they make the app themselves, then they probably aren't the ones setting the price. they might be getting a cut, though. understandable, since they built and operate the store.

^

They are responsible of many price issues on the XBL marketplace. Things like Netflix or Internet Explorer requires gold, and those apps are free on other similar products. Also, there's been a lot of disputes over publishers, notably Valve. Microsoft wanted to charge for Valve's DLC but Valve refused, but they had no choice if they wanted their DLC to be in the XBL store.

Where can I get Netflix for free?
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#13Coordinates(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 9:29:24 PM
2ndAtomisk posted...
Coordinates posted...
khardbored posted...
Coordinates posted...
My question is, do you think Microsoft will adapt the pay-to-use concept and make you pay for apps?
why point to ms? for example, why wouldn't machinima charge for using their app, the same way you might pay for a strategy guide? or, a pizza hut app, where you have to pay for your pizza? it's not ms, who's charging you. if anyone charges for an app, it's probably the people who made the app, or provide the service the app is giving you. ms is charging you for their xbl service. but, unless they make the app themselves, then they probably aren't the ones setting the price. they might be getting a cut, though. understandable, since they built and operate the store.

^

They are responsible of many price issues on the XBL marketplace. Things like Netflix or Internet Explorer requires gold, and those apps are free on other similar products. Also, there's been a lot of disputes over publishers, notably Valve. Microsoft wanted to charge for Valve's DLC but Valve refused, but they had no choice if they wanted their DLC to be in the XBL store.

I am talking about the app, not the subscription.
#14SilentS89Posted 10/20/2013 9:30:50 PM
This would be an excellent way to chase potential customers to Sony.
#15Coordinates(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 8:45:11 AM
SilentS89 posted...
This would be an excellent way to chase potential customers to Sony.

It's a quite lucrative decision because a lot of people will pay for it though.
#16MrImpatient35Posted 10/21/2013 8:48:13 AM
Doukou posted...
If MS charged me more than gold to use an app, I'd never use an app.

If they charge me extra to use an app, I just wont use it. If they do this, they'll learn quickly that it's a bad idea, and they should scrap it.
---
33 things to know about X1: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61886/features/the-xbox-one-33-things-you-need-to-know/
DR3, AC4, Xbox Fitness, and maybe Crimson Dragon
#17Troll_DirectoryPosted 10/21/2013 10:26:27 AM
Coordinates posted...
2ndAtomisk posted...
Coordinates posted...
Coordinates posted...

I am talking about the app, not the subscription.
the app is a free download, and i already said ms charges you for their xbl gold service. so, this example doesn't fit your hypothesis. netflix charges you for their service, and ms charges you for their service. ms does not make you also pay for the app on top of those service charges. that would be up to netflix (although, yes, ms would probably get a cut). but, all of the apps I'm aware of on xbl are free. and you are asking, "do you think Microsoft will adapt the pay-to-use concept and make you pay for apps?"

my answer is, "no, ms will not be the ones making you pay. they will be the ones taking a cut if the app-maker makes you pay. just like downloading a game." i understand the story about valve's dlc. but, i still say ms will not make anyone charge you for apps, or charge you for someone else's app. clear?