The DLC rant - **** better change this coming generation

#21NewMoonShadowPosted 10/21/2013 5:22:28 AM
squidney2k1 posted...
For every game that does it right, there are 4 that do it wrong and make DLC as a whole still quite a freakin' rip-off.

1. DLC should be discounted just like the games. No reason we should have to pay $10 for the same map pack that's been out for 2 years.
2. All of this $5 for "a new outfit" or hat color crap needs to stop. It seems like the industry was getting it together but the last year has seen the worse offenders since Horse Armor
3. All "day 1," Collector's Edition, Special Addition, etc. etc. DLC should be available for free after a certain amount of time (1 year max).
4. More 3rd party DLC promotions like Dr. Pepper cap codes or 7-Eleven codes, instead of stupid exclusive content depending on what store you went to.
5. Less of this "season pass" crap. Why give an extra $20-$30 for future DLC when there's no solid indication that your mediocre game will even hold up that long with gamers? COD Season Pass? Yes. Borderlands 2 Season Pass? Absolutely. Saints Row Season pass? Ehhhmm, no. Ace Combat Season Pass? WTF?!!!!

Saint's Row IV was one of the best games of the last year, I don't know what you're smoking giving CoD a free pass and dogging Saint's Row.
#22Born LuckyPosted 10/21/2013 5:57:16 AM
There is a bizarre new fad, where (usually young) people, worship corporations, even to the point of defending them, when they are obviously trying to cheat people.

When a developer releases DLC right after the main game is on the shelves, that means, what they did was - -

withhold , or remove, content from what would have been a complete game,

release an incomplete game for full price,

and then release the rest of the game as if it was something "extra".

What kind of masochistic consumer does it take, to defend this kind of dis-honesty?

Until people quit defending it - they'll just keep doing it.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#23bob15xPosted 10/21/2013 5:59:22 AM
Gamers don't want drm, price increases, restrictions on lending or used games.

So too freaking bad.

developers need to make money and many of them are going out of business.

Costs of production are going to skyrocket and with gamers whining like little babies about having their 'rights' trampled on, developers have to have lots of dlc and cost high just to survive.

Besides a select few, I bet most developers struggle somewhat and you may seem more go bankrupt or they will just stop investing in new projects.

so you got to ask yourself, what do you want? new ips, or same rehashed trash at lower production values.

Do you want initial costs to stay the same or raised to 79.99

you can't get everything you want.
#24odanzrexorcPosted 10/21/2013 6:34:46 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
squidney2k1 posted...
For every game that does it right, there are 4 that do it wrong and make DLC as a whole still quite a freakin' rip-off.

1. DLC should be discounted just like the games. No reason we should have to pay $10 for the same map pack that's been out for 2 years.
2. All of this $5 for "a new outfit" or hat color crap needs to stop. It seems like the industry was getting it together but the last year has seen the worse offenders since Horse Armor
3. All "day 1," Collector's Edition, Special Addition, etc. etc. DLC should be available for free after a certain amount of time (1 year max).
4. More 3rd party DLC promotions like Dr. Pepper cap codes or 7-Eleven codes, instead of stupid exclusive content depending on what store you went to.
5. Less of this "season pass" crap. Why give an extra $20-$30 for future DLC when there's no solid indication that your mediocre game will even hold up that long with gamers? COD Season Pass? Yes. Borderlands 2 Season Pass? Absolutely. Saints Row Season pass? Ehhhmm, no. Ace Combat Season Pass? WTF?!!!!

Saint's Row IV was one of the best games of the last year, I don't know what you're smoking giving CoD a free pass and dogging Saint's Row.

This, also good games had Collector's Editions way before DLC was a thing.
---
Dracon's sexy new account
"Anyone who says we need another FF7 anything should have their bowels impaled on a spike and burned." - d209999
#25dementedlullabyPosted 10/21/2013 8:27:55 AM
DLC is going to get worse, not better.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU/Steam:DementedLullaby
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#26LICKWIDPAlNPosted 10/21/2013 8:52:49 AM
mike468 posted...
Porunga posted...
None of that will stop.. in fact, I see it all getting worse. Good times.

Yeah, same here.

Developers have said that with the new systems, it allows them to actually plug the extra content in rather than planning and using an unlock key. With current gen systems, the right infrastructure wasn't in place for companys to really plug whole new content into a game, so you saw stuff like the unlock keys like Capcom used.

Now they are saying with the new console, developers can intentionally hold the content back and plug it in, so that it doesn't look suspicious. Look at what Forza 5 is doing, there basically shipping half the game and letting you download the rest on Day 1. It's not content that is being locked away on the disk, but just wasn't finished when they needed to start pressing the games.

I mean it can be good in a way, to allow a developer to get a game to market sooner, and plug in the content on day 1 free of charge like Forza is doing, but I think too many companies like Capcom are going to use it as a way to truly mask what content is actually finished when a game ships and what content is intentionally being held back.

Right now it's easy to tell because the file of an unlock key is only a few hundred kb, but actual content in much bigger..

It took GTA V 25 days to go from gold to on store shelves and to people's homes. No reason whatsoever to rush a game only to "plug" in content on day one. It will simply be abused like the rest of the "DLC" so called benefits. We will see more crap games released under the guise of "its a beta".

Thing is, Capcom never had to use unlock keys in the first place. They did it just because they could get away with it. Outside of actual full feature length content that can be downloaded like BL2 did, DLC as a whole is just a giant cash grab. Not saying I don't get DLC but at least I know what it is. Im sorry but 5 dollars for a costume is robbery.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain
#27BraxSimeonPosted 10/21/2013 9:56:54 AM
Revenue streams that bypass distributors are likely to be utilized more going forward. One of the exciting things about the "old way" the XB1 was going to operate was a possible increase in revenue for devs without having to go through Wal-mart, for example. That may no longer be as strong a possibility, so expect to see just as much/more DLC and micros coming because it's a way for the people in business to make money... to make money.

That all being said, DLC and micros don't get "worse" - they move closer to satisfying customers. No DLC gets bought without someone CHOOSING to buy it - and even if you hate the idea of $10 Horse Armor, if someone else doesn't, it doesn't make them wrong. Normally, this is where someone claims that "No, they ARE doing it wrong because it hurts the rest of gamers" because they don't understand that not everyone shares their opinions and views and pretend the market is dying because it's changing.

iOS has gone through this process for awhile and there are a number of great games that do micros "right" (i.e., make the customer happy). Normally, this is where someone claims that there's no comparison because iOS apps are way cheap and console devs just want to screw people by charging so much, because, again, they don't know how to see things from any perspective but their own.

Don't be afraid of DLC and micros - and don't be surprised when you start seeing free games that have micros, but don't require them. And don't feel like you have to label anything with micros as Pay to Win. And don't but the DLC you don't want. And don't be mad that other people pay $15 for map packs (even though they must be idiots because why would anyone pay $15 for more maps? I mean, what? Is it WORTH it to them or something? Obviously they forgot to consult with you before deciding that the cost of a single movie theater ticket was worth having some new maps to play in!)
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#28LICKWIDPAlNPosted 10/21/2013 10:48:58 AM
^^^Except prices won't go down. They will stay the same because we as gamers are stupid enough to pay for it.
Prices did not go down this gen cuz of DLC. In fact, they stay higher, longer. Why lower prices when they can keep it the same and people buy it anyway?
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain
#29reincarnator07Posted 10/21/2013 11:13:12 AM
bob15x posted...
Gamers don't want drm, price increases, restrictions on lending or used games.

So too freaking bad.

developers need to make money and many of them are going out of business.

Costs of production are going to skyrocket and with gamers whining like little babies about having their 'rights' trampled on, developers have to have lots of dlc and cost high just to survive.

Besides a select few, I bet most developers struggle somewhat and you may seem more go bankrupt or they will just stop investing in new projects.

so you got to ask yourself, what do you want? new ips, or same rehashed trash at lower production values.

Do you want initial costs to stay the same or raised to 79.99

you can't get everything you want.

Star Citizen is currently at $23m in funding and looks better and more ambitious than pretty much every other title coming out currently. Devs need to use their money better. Customers need to stop eating up every little thing that publishers put out. They should also vote with their wallets. No point in complaining about poor value for your money if you keep buying it anyway.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#30universaldavePosted 10/21/2013 11:24:37 AM
Ultimately you can only blame yourself if you are negatively affected by DLC as it is. I can't say I've ever felt bad about DLC I've purchased--but I've been careful with my decisions in buying it.
---
Gamefaqs: where men who can't get dates take every opportunity to tell everyone about their incredibly high standards when it comes to women.