if Microsoft don't care about games, why invest millions into the servers?

#31DjnarduPosted 10/21/2013 10:50:57 AM
Styrof0am posted...
Djnardu posted...
They will use portions of the data centers they have built for Xbox Live, but they are not building these servers just for games as the TC stated.

Agreed, they are for the Xbox Live service as a whole, but an infrastructure of 300.000 for just that is quite impressive nonetheless.

It is impressive..

The question is just because they have that server infrastructure built will there be a legitimate use for it or is it just "blast processing" selling points.
---
i7 3700k 4.8GHz, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1900Mhz, GTX 690
#32DjnarduPosted 10/21/2013 10:55:16 AM
slyman19 posted...
Djnardu posted...
Styrof0am posted...
Djnardu posted...
The article you quote "10,000" servers a month is from May 2008.. almost 6 years ago.

Yup, think about it. That was 6 years ago. Where in the entire IT industry has there been a slow down in the past 20 years? Nowhere, it's a filed that keep expanding, so even if MS stalled at 10.000 servers a month 5 years ago, their data centers will have grown to gargantuan sizes ... and I'l wager a years salary they haven't slowed down since then, especially considering Azure didn't launch until 2010, at which point demand increased imensely for the service.

On top of that MS seem to be winning on quality as well (see pic below), but that's getting too far off the topic at hand.

If Occam's razor has taught us anything, it's that if it looks like a huge infrastructure, and it smells like a huge infrastructire, then in all likelihood it is a huge infrastructure.

Sources:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2010/02/01/windows-azure-general-availability.aspx

http://imgur.com/k8xSyx7

*edited for bad quote*

I'm not stating MS is not building up a sever base. But this topic is about MS spending millions of dollars building servers for games. The money they are spending is for their server base in general. They will use portions of the data centers they have built for Xbox Live, but they are not building these servers just for games as the TC stated.

Proof?

Wow you sure like using that word. Would it not be easier and more fun to actually have input into a conversation and put up your own counter arguments?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/161772-microsoft-now-has-one-million-servers-less-than-google-but-more-than-amazon-says-ballmer
---
i7 3700k 4.8GHz, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1900Mhz, GTX 690
#33CapwnDPosted 10/21/2013 10:56:55 AM
soysauceman posted...
CapwnD posted...
Who says they don't care about games?

Dumbass trolls?

the internet after the May launch where they revealed the console name and what it looks like and mentioned the cloud, the controller, Kinect, Forza and FIFA etc and more players for online games.

The internet sounds like a dumbass. Did the internet see E3?

Xbox One: Games, games games! Big games, not just indie games!

PS4: "hey we're going to let devleopers handle DRM *applause, cheers* and we're now charging for online *cheers, applause*"
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#34Styrof0amPosted 10/21/2013 11:16:22 AM
Djnardu posted...
It is impressive..

The question is just because they have that server infrastructure built will there be a legitimate use for it or is it just "blast processing" selling points.

Heh, I like blast processing, a shame it never took off ;o)

On a more serious note, I think the answer is partly this:

Our intent was to enable developers to take advantage of server resources in their games without having to deal with the challenges that come with building, managing and running servers at scale. So, we chose to provide cloud features that allow the game creators to push the limits of their gameplay experiences and apply the bulk of their investments to game creation, rather than server and operational resources.

Dedicated servers for all devs on Xbox (if they choose so), and I imagine some services, not neccessarily for games only, that will make the XB1 into a thin client of sorts.
Elsewhere we've already implemented Google docs, Netflix, Grooveshark, Office 360, soon-to-be Gaikai OnLive and a ton of other online services into our daily lives. I can only begin to guess at what MS has in store with a capacity as huge as 300.000.

Source for quote:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/xbox-one-cloud
#35Ramsus082Posted 10/21/2013 11:30:42 AM

Because they're competing with Apple, Amazon, Google and others in the cloud hosting services industry, an unrelated market to gaming. Microsoft is getting some nice some nice viral marketing from the Xbox brand fans.

"How many servers does Azure have, Xbox fans!?"

XboxOne board in unison: "300,000! That's how many!"

*Que Microsoft PR chief grinning
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#36soysauceman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 12:37:06 PM
Ramsus082 posted...

Because they're competing with Apple, Amazon, Google and others in the cloud hosting services industry, an unrelated market to gaming. Microsoft is getting some nice some nice viral marketing from the Xbox brand fans.

:-(
#37AlexPumaPosted 10/21/2013 12:53:03 PM
CapwnD posted...
soysauceman posted...
CapwnD posted...
Who says they don't care about games?

Dumbass trolls?

the internet after the May launch where they revealed the console name and what it looks like and mentioned the cloud, the controller, Kinect, Forza and FIFA etc and more players for online games.

The internet sounds like a dumbass. Did the internet see E3?

Xbox One: Games, games games! Big games, not just indie games!

PS4: "hey we're going to let devleopers handle DRM *applause, cheers* and we're now charging for online *cheers, applause*"

I saw the XBOne conference live. It was like "Spend 20 minutes on a game also available on PS4, a hyped revival of a series marred by it being developed by a shovelware studio and a rape joke, expected Halo 5 teaser that had no info, some movie that they're passing as a "game" that we also have no info on, Xbox's version of ZombiU with similar touchscreen gimmicks, Forza guys bragging more about the cloud than their game, an exclusive that had no audio, price announcement that was met with silence, and ended on a PC game being touted as Xbox 'exclusive'."
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#38ExempliGratiaPosted 10/21/2013 12:54:25 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
ExampliaGratia posted...
soysauceman posted...
to regulate our snack buying habits (?)

No to mention they supposedly spent a billion on games.

Anything spent on Xbox is technically spent on games. That Doritos and Dew contest wasn't cheap.

Umm. The development of games? I don't think Doritos and Dew helps that.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#39BudWisenheimerPosted 10/21/2013 1:00:50 PM
Ramsus082 posted...

Apparently that's 300000 set aside for Xbone purposes. The number of Azure servers appears to be a target moving in one direction.