Benefits of The Cloud.

#41chrisromans123Posted 10/21/2013 6:30:51 PM
The cloud is great for MP games but not so much for SP. I mean what happens if I try to play DR3 offline? If i'm not mistaken doesn't that game offload AI to the cloud? So will the AI in dr3 be really bad offline? I like the idea of the cloud but in the end think it's best if the console it self can handle the game and not rely on an internet connection to get the best experience.
---
FC: 4081-6578-7259
#42Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/21/2013 6:32:01 PM
chrisromans123 posted...
The cloud is great for MP games but not so much for SP. I mean what happens if I try to play DR3 offline? If i'm not mistaken doesn't that game offload AI to the cloud? So will the AI in dr3 be really bad offline? I like the idea of the cloud but in the end think it's best if the console it self can handle the game and not rely on an internet connection to get the best experience.

It simply will not work offline
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8.1!
#43unclekoolaid73Posted 10/21/2013 6:34:31 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
chrisromans123 posted...

Are you saying one cannot play DR3 offline?
#44kakarot-uchihaPosted 10/22/2013 10:49:24 AM
it seems like some of you are new to this stuff or just haven't looked this stuff up yet. most of the nitty gritty was gone through awhile ago.

MS AZURE HAS OVER A MILLION SERVERS. 300,000 ARE JUST FOR XBOX. not a single one is virtual. (virtual server is actually a virtual machine on an actual server)

azure uses banks of 2 cpu boards with 1.6 ghz (i'm assuming 8-core because of the pricing model but they state 'equivilant') with 4 DIMM slots. they have datacenters in 24 countries.

the bad.... on azures own forums having nothing to do with xbox(pre-reveal) it is considered slow and customers want upgraded processors. thats pretty much it.

other than that it's faster than some, great for data but not a supercomputer. outside of gaming azure is trying to be for servers what windows is for business, as in 90% of the market. i don't fully understand 'hybrid cloud' but azure is a hybrid cloud who's only real competition apparently is amazon.

the good... i read all the 'compute' stuff. i'm really glad they named it. and as far as gaming there is no downside to having 300,000 servers, 'teh cloud'. these servers can add to every aspect of gaming as dev's jump the hurdles. out of all the hopeful's there are some guaranteed benefits. every single xbox one game that has any online aspect at all will now take less time to develop and the game will be CHEAPER to develop. that's across the board. everything else, graphics, ai, physics, is up to the devs skill and imagination and only time will tell.
#45khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 10:55:02 AM
unclekoolaid73 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
chrisromans123 posted...

Are you saying one cannot play DR3 offline?

Yes, you can.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#46SinisterSlayPosted 10/22/2013 10:59:51 AM
khardbored posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Maybe MS should have used a faster processor so they don't have to use the cloud for AI computations.

Which by the way, is pretty pathetic. It takes very little CPU power for the AI in most games.

How on earth did my only 200mhz CPU managed to process the AI for 1200 units all at once in Earth 2150? It did that and the rendering thread.
It's hard to believe 15 years later, the xbox one still can't manage this without requiring the cloud to calculate it for it.

I played a couple of the Earth games, I still have the original huge box to one or two of them as well.
If you honestly think that the One can't calculate that AI, I don't know what to tell you. They aren't using the cloud to do things they normally couldn't. They are using to improve upon things. But you're just taking cheap shots that are completely false, so yeah.

That's not what I'm saying.
I'm saying that offloading the AI couldn't possibly boost framerate since to date, the AI for games has been far less than what those old earth games did with less CPU power.
If offloading the AI to the cloud really did boost performance, that the xbox1's CPU is so epically pathetic that you might as well pull out your old computer from 1995 and use that to play.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#47djwagonPosted 10/22/2013 11:07:17 AM
why not use this as your personal cloud http://www.wd.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/
---
when I was here before I went by the screen name IMPORTER1..